What's with it with Bay Area Marinas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Background: my home-base marina is operated by the City of Vallejo. They are closed on weekends (no fuel service, guest registration, or whatever).

Requested a guest berth this coming Sunday night at the Berkeley Marina. They're closed on Sundays! What about Saturday night? The staff can't accept monies on the weekend, can you bring money Friday? We also need a copy of your boat registration and photo ID.

Just forget about it! Maybe some future weekday night.

Have scheduled a land cruise to Bodega Bay, staying overnight at a hotel Monday.

Last edited:
Background: my home-base marina is operated by the City of Vallejo. They are closed on weekends (no fuel service, guest registration, or whatever).

Requested a guest berth this coming Sunday night at the Berkeley Marina. They're closed on Sundays! What about Saturday night? The staff can't accept monies on the weekend, can you bring money Friday? We also need a copy of your boat registration and photo ID.

Have scheduled a land cruise to Bodega Bay, staying overnight at a hotel Monday.

It is obvious they don't want transients.

Why go to a marina? Just anchor out. It's much more romantic!

Why go to a marina? Just anchor out. It's much more romantic!

Perla prefers a professionally-cooked meal Wanted to treat her to a prime-rib dinner. Hopefully, we'll find a satisfactory meal in Bodega via automobile.

Last edited:
Think civil service retirements and you'll begin to develop an appreciation for the limited service......

Who would ever think a recreation facility should be manned on the weekends when the "funders" would want to use them?

That would mess up the weekends of the employees. Can't have that....

Go up river to Napa Valley Marina....they will be there....oh I forgot they are a privately owned marina.

To name two alternatives: South Beach marina in SF is nice and has a bunch of eateries within easy walking distance. Ditto Jack London Square. I could see where Berkeley would have almost no transient biz anyway.

Depending on your budget and tastes, the best restaurant in Bodega Bay right now is the italian place at the Tides Inn across the road from the Tides main restaurant. Next would be the Sandpiper. Spent a lot of time eating in BB the past 3 years, when out there looking after my dad in his last years. Personally, I' suggest going further up the coast and to the really excellent River's End in Jenner (our family place is at Goat Rock). Great views to match the food.

You could cruise to the PNW and Canada. They will take your money.....

Weekend closures of publicly operated marinas are probably budget related. Not all publicly owned marinas are publicly operated however so there may be a lessee involved. Before settling into a series of misleading distractions from the question you might want to suggest some solutions and if you are really curious as to the reason, make some phone calls.

Would agree... anchor out. Can you take a dingy in? That might be an option.

BTW, I've NEVER been asked for registration and it's really none of their business. They clearly don't care.

Fortunately, here in FL most all of the marinas are very good and accommodating, as are the anchorages.

Poach - my experience tells me Riley hit the nail on the head. My state operated marina is staffed 0900-1530 M-F - minus the myriad state holidays, federal holidays, and "oh, we've got all hands training at the central office" days. Evenings, weekends, holidays (you know - the days/times people who pay the freight have to use their boats) - not a chance.

The public marinas I have used that have hired operators - they're there at these times because their paycheck depends on providing a service to customers. If they aren't there's a phone number that will roll somebody out to accomodate.

Guess I should call the Governor or the civil service commissiom.

I'd find locked gates a problem. ... Are Berkeley marina tenants easy to bribe?

I always carry a 12v master key ;)

12-v-font-b-battery-b-font-power-cordless-font-b-angle-b-font-font-b.jpg

If no one is there to take your money who is there to stop you :D

My sentiment exactly

Or, if conscience would spoil your sleep, just tie up and go to your dinner, then move off elsewhere and anchor out for the rest of the night.

Mark's concern..."I'd find locked gates a problem. ... Are Berkeley marina tenants easy to bribe?"

You would usually find someone coming or going from another boat on the finger to let you in or out, surely..?

Last edited:
If no one is there to take your money who is there to stop you :D

Your conscience?

It has been rumored that some boaters (notably sailboaters) will wait for a marina to close, pull in, fill their water tanks, use the heads, dump their trash, even dock for the night (with electricity) and then pull out the next morning before the marina staff gets there.

Your conscience?

It has been rumored that some boaters (notably sailboaters) will wait for a marina to close, pull in, fill their water tanks, use the heads, dump their trash, even dock for the night (with electricity) and then pull out the next morning before the marina staff gets there.

Last year, a boat (power boat) did that at Vero Beach Municipal Marina. Tied up late and left early. Little did they know they were being filmed by the security camera. :rofl::rofl:

Your conscience?

That's really low, and can't imagine any decent boater doing that, but guess we all have some indecent boaters mixing in. Nothing against sail boaters, but they don't have a good reputation. We have a few in our area that have been anchored in local waters for months.... They say that they haul their waste to shore in the dingy to dispose of it properly, but wonder. I'm in that water 3 or 4 times a week..... grrrrrr

Also, I can't imagine a marina having an issue with you going in after hours and paying up later or even by phone if you leave before they open. It they were good, they could take your cc ahead of time and leave you a key somewhere.

I've had good luck doing this with Enterprise car rental. They are closed on Sun, but a lot of locations will drop a car, leave a key and you simply drop it and the end.

Nothing against sail boaters, but they don't have a good reputation.

I have to step in and call bullshit. Just as I have spoken against the unfair bias that some sailors have against power boaters, these generalizations of sailors are tiresome.

Maybe it is simply a class thing? Powerboats, foot for foot, cost more to buy and operate than a sailboat. This makes the cost of entry into the boater "club" lower for sailors so, you know, "those people" start to come out and play in our pond...

I have to step in and call bullshit. Just as I have spoken against the unfair bias that some sailors have against power boaters, these generalizations of sailors are tiresome.

Maybe it is simply a class thing? Powerboats, foot for foot, cost more to buy and operate than a sailboat. This makes the cost of entry into the boater "club" lower for sailors so, you know, "those people" start to come out and play in our pond...

Well, perhaps. (and I spend more time on a sail boat than power boats). Sail boaters don't have a good reputation, just like lawyers and used car salesmen, and that's not to take away from the good ones. There's just enough bad ones to skew the reputation. (Yes, there's good and bad everything).

Of the ones in the hook in our area that are dumping sewage into the inter coastal, 100% of them are sailboats. There are no power boats there for more than a day or so. Not all of the sailors are bad, but none of the boaters are bad, because they just aint there. I don't have an issue with them at all, and often swing by, talk and get to know them and ask them if I can get them anything. One I got to know pretty well was a great guy, friendly and obeyed the laws and respected other boaters.... and a few should be thrown off the water.

No bullshit, just facts.

I'd find locked gates a problem. ..?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1472919530.539769.jpg

Unfortunately I won't be there to let you in. I always carry my master key. Before anyone asks/accuses etc. My conscience is completely clear staying for free at a marina guest dock if nobody is there to collect. If the marina is not staffed on the weekend it's obviously not a for profit entity.

Totally agree with David, the gross generalizations regarding sailors is bovine excrement. The cost to entry is FAR lower in the sail world and I look at that as a positive. The majority of you old farts are ex sailors too. Everybody starts somewhere.

Unfortunately I won't be there to let you in. I always carry my master key. Before anyone asks/accuses etc. My conscience is completely clear staying for free at a marina guest dock if nobody is there to collect. If the marina is not staffed on the weekend it's obviously not a for profit entity.

It has rarely happened, but there have been a couple of times when I am coming in late and leaving early and can't find anyone to take my money. Once I had cash and left it under the office door with a note. The other time I didn't have cash and just left a note with my name and phone number so they could call to arrange payment. They never did.

Being able to use a lock pick set would be a handy skill to have. Maybe something I can learn over the next 30 years.

Precisely David. Though it never happened to me I'd gladly leave a note with contact information. Using lock picks is an easily attainable skill set that is very handy to have.

David,

As you know my son works at the local harbour. I'll go down and visit with him as he's closing up. The harbour office advertises that it closes at 21:00, but he is there until 21:30 doing paperwork and locking up.

Almost funny how often there is a sailboat or small runabout "sneaking" in after nine.

His take on it is: 1.) Maybe they just came in late and they'll check in with the office in the morning. 2.) If he was to go down and call on them and they were being unethical, it would just lead to a confrontation that would disturb others nearby. Which would make everyone unhappy.

One time, it was a 40 something foot newish Bavaria. It was gone in the morning. Figured it was a charter.

A lot of good that lock pick set will do you with today's electronic locks.

Probably just as well since breaking and entering is still a prosecutable crime for most of us.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom