Old 09-24-2016, 05:10 PM   #41
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Right now it's because it's still on the yard .
Ya, I hate that part about boats, too!

My boat's peccadilloes are:

Deck drainage is less than stellar

Salon is narrow due to wide side decks (gotta love those, though)

Sometimes I wish I had a hundred more horses for a bit more gitty-up

Better sound and vibration insulation would be appreciated

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:52 PM   #42

City: Tarpon Springs, Fl.
Vessel Name: Knot Dreaming
Vessel Model: 1995 Silverton 41
I will also complain about poor flybridge drainage, but I have a plan for that, now all I need is the time and motivation. The main complaint I have about the design of our boat is the size of the flybridge. It is too small and as a result I spend most of our cruising time up there by myself. I guess it's true, size does matter. LOL

MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:34 PM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Selkie
Vessel Model: Canoe Cove 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolena View Post
That it is about ten feet two short, and around three to four feet too narrow. Other than that, the fact that my wife and I both have permanent scars on our shins from hitting the darn latch in the cockpit that keeps the saloon door open. Sadly, no other place to put it.
You're way to young to retire my friend, so keep slugging it out. Lots of people have to work 'til 60 or even 65!. Always seems to be a few extra boating bruises after a trip...
saltcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:41 PM   #44

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Searenity
Vessel Model: Meridian 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Airplanes are fun. I've seen quite a few DC3's converted to "yachts".
There used to be a Catalina PBY5A converted to a boat in Airlie Beach years ago. It still had the landing gear in it and functional so they could lower the gear and let it go dry or just winch it up onto the land.

The only things I really don't like on our boat is the lack of water storage and the poor access to the outboard sides of the engines,

Brett
Jetstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:14 PM   #45
Guru

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Wet head and no galley , but sure do love the covered aft deck and walk through door to engine room . It's all a trade off.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:09 PM   #46
TF Site Team

Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
I'd have just liked an autopilot, oh, and RADAR. Purely because I think the RADAR would be fun. Example...to visitor/guests..."see that boat over there...that's it, that dot right there on the screen...neat eh?" Not much use otherwise where and when we boat, so couldn't justify.

Auto helm. Same issue. Seldom out of narrow winding channels. But on the odd occasions when we get out into more open water, (from my yachting days, where I had an Auto Helm 1000), I know they are really useful. Maybe as the boat won't sell, if we take her up north to more open waters when I retire...hmmmmm...
Old 09-24-2016, 11:55 PM   #47
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
No indoor access to the pilothouse. "Yet", that is. It's true that the bridge deck could drain a bit better.

I guess the grass is always greener, but when I spec'd my boat, I paid extra and gave up some interior space to have an interior access to the FB. Looks great, and it is convenient, but in retrospect, it was a waste of money and space. The amount of time/convenience saved by not having to use the aft access isn't worth it. Only bigger waste I am aware of is upgrading a Tesla to "ludicrous" capability -- it is a purely software upgrade that allows the car to go from zero to 60 a little faster. Instead of 3.1 seconds, with Ludicrous it takes only 2.8 seconds. Problem is, it costs $10K for the upgrade.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:07 AM   #48
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Ok, on our loop boat....here it is. The fact the washer and dryer are in the trunk. And you have to walk outdoors to use them.

There is a crew cabin/lazarette combo with access from the swim platform. So you have to haul everything from the cabins on the lower deck up to the salon, out to the steps, down to the platform, and into this area and the reverse when finished. The only way to fit them on the lower deck (well they are but you can't get there from here like) would be to eliminate a cabin. There's just no other spot.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:35 AM   #49
FOG

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: DreamQuest
Vessel Model: Prairie 36
I've always felt that a boat is a floating bucket full of compromises that you ....
FOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 12:51 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
...Only bigger waste I am aware of is upgrading a Tesla to "ludicrous" capability -- it is a purely software upgrade that allows the car to go from zero to 60 a little faster. Instead of 3.1 seconds, with Ludicrous it takes only 2.8 seconds. Problem is, it costs $10K for the upgrade.
But it`s .3 of a second saved! Do that 10 times in a week and you saved 3 seconds. In just one week! For only $10K! Wonder how 0-60 in 2.8 secs affects range.
In Amsterdam the Tesla is the equivalent of a Ford Victoria , ie it`s a taxi. But, they are very quiet, and very quick.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:41 AM   #51
Guru

City: Brisbane River
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
For me its the internal doors. Three of them have just 6' clearance, and at 6'1" i need to lean/bend/slouch a little at the right time when going through the doorway. I mostly do it, but clearly I'm still close to hitting. How do I know that? Well it happens occasionally that its cold enough to need to wear long pants, and as a result some slippers also. Those times I invariably collect one of the door frames....

There is room to enlarge the openings add a couple of inches to the doors etc. But for now the preferred solution is to be somewhere warmer. I'm 2 months into a 3 month trip on the Great Barrier Reef and environs. So another gripe is that I only have a month left before returning back to home base! I will accept your sympathy for this......

There were light winds last week so I spent 5 days at various locations on the Outer Reef. Kinda cool to be anchored out there and have 360 water views with nearest land 30-40 miles to the west. There were often some coral lumps at low tide, but that's all. Pic is floatplane landing inside Hardy Reef, bringing day-trippers out for diving/snorkelling. It was just prior to low tide and I was in the 50m+ deep channel between Hook Reef and Hardy Reef when taking the pic, near the bend in the Andrew Watson pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1445 copy.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	56696   Click image for larger version

Name:	A1210987-Great-Barrier-Reef.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	56697  
Old 09-25-2016, 07:09 AM   #52
TF Site Team

Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
For me its the internal doors. Three of them have just 6' clearance, and at 6'1" i need to lean/bend/slouch a little at the right time when going through the doorway. I mostly do it, but clearly I'm still close to hitting. How do I know that? Well it happens occasionally that its cold enough to need to wear long pants, and as a result some slippers also. Those times I invariably collect one of the door frames....

There is room to enlarge the openings add a couple of inches to the doors etc. But for now the preferred solution is to be somewhere warmer. I'm 2 months into a 3 month trip on the Great Barrier Reef and environs. So another gripe is that I only have a month left before returning back to home base! I will accept your sympathy for this......

There were light winds last week so I spent 5 days at various locations on the Outer Reef. Kinda cool to be anchored out there and have 360 water views with nearest land 30-40 miles to the west. There were often some coral lumps at low tide, but that's all. Pic is floatplane landing inside Hardy Reef, bringing day-trippers out for diving/snorkelling. It was just prior to low tide and I was in the 50m+ deep channel between Hook Reef and Hardy Reef when taking the pic, near the bend in the Andrew Watson pic.
Ok, for subjecting us to that bit of sadism Brian, I condemn thee to lopping 6 inches out of each shin bone. That will solve your head banging problem, and it won't hurt that much...not really...
Old 09-25-2016, 07:54 AM   #53
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I guess my one pet peeve are the beds. Would like the same layout with a normal queen size mattress and the second stateroom with normal twin size mattresses.

Ted
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 10:54 AM   #54
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Two things get me... One is the size of the showers is small for a boat of this size. The second is that the water slapping on the hull is very loud.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:31 AM   #55

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
There's plenty of things I wish were a bit different, but isn't that all in the compromises?

My pet peeve is that every single flush lift ring in the boat is Backwards! I mean you actually have to rotate your finger around to be able to lift it up. Someday I'll spend the time to re-mortis every one in the other way.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #56

City: marina del rey
Vessel Model: Goldenstar sportfisher
Today, my biggest issue is no Air Conditioner. I work from home and with the windows down and a fan on, it's still 92.
Goldenstar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #57

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
The refrigerator is too ***n small. Bigger requires a custom build from Sea Freeze, or a saws all to cut counter and cabinets and then refinishing.
tpbrady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:50 PM   #58
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Other than limited engine access ( which I've improved somewhat), I'm totally happy with my boat. It suits my needs perfectly. (well - It will be perfect as soon as I finish my project list)
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:37 PM   #59
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
We are quite used to each other, she's high maintenance, needs constant attention, has a few quirks and I am not 100% sure I know all there is to know about her. But she puts up with me and takes me where i want to go, and friends thinks she is teriffic.

I wouldn't have it any other way.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 11:00 PM   #60
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
We are quite used to each other, she's high maintenance, needs constant attention, has a few quirks and I am not 100% sure I know all there is to know about her. But she puts up with me and takes me where i want to go, and friends thinks she is teriffic.

I wouldn't have it any other way.
Nicely stated!

I/we feel similar toward our Tolly!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote