What is your greatest fear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They may advise her to move her boat. They may contact the marina and pressure them to fix the situation. If they tell her to move her boat then she should move it. But at least she would know what her responsibility is and what her insurance company will do, or not do.

Fire. Been there, if interested I posted my experience titled “Close Call” on 12/15/2014. I think that post sold a lot of fie extinguishers. Bottom line was we, and the boat, lived thru it and learned hard lessons.

Running out of cold beer as I sit here in the Hinchinbrook channel waiting for the tide

Attachments

• IMG_20191001_141420.jpg
    IMG_20191001_141420.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20191001_140336.jpg
    IMG_20191001_140336.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 39
I am confused as to why Donna should talk to her insurance company. Say she calls her insurance company tomorrow and tells them “I think there is a fire risk at my marina and no one is doing anything about it. I have expressed my concern to the marina but they have taken no action.” Then on Wednesday the boat blows up taking Donna’s boat with it.

I would be concerned that the insurance would not pay on the claim because they were informed that the owner knew of a risk but failed to take prudent and appropriate actions to prevent it.
I wondered about that advice too. Unless your insurance disclosure laws require it, usually it`s only at proposal or renewal you have to disclose, no continuing duty of disclosure. But the policy likely requires you to act reasonably and prudently with the boat, and staying near a floating potential bomb might not qualify. Which is why I suggested vacating. Hopefully insurance guru Pau Hana will chime in.

Something needs to happen, I think the fire authorities, if notified,would be all over this situation like a rash. It`s amazing the Marina is apparently unconcerned.

I with the others on here who suggest Donna considers moving for a bit. Still keep paying for your slip if you like the marina, net cost is zero if you are able to utilise friends docks until the issue is sorted.

But absolutely write letters to marina, fire dept and anyone else with any possible jurisdiction. Verbally communicating should work in this kind of situation, but it seems its not working. The advantage of letters is that they are discoverable evidence. Anyone who has something at stake will not want to have hard evidence of being made aware of the issue and then failing to take action.

My biggest boat concern (not fear as others have discussed) is a marina fire as well. After my extensive refit I have way more into the boat than its market value. The latter is used for insurance, and means my premium is lower than it would otherwise be. But a market value insurance payout would not enable me to replace what I have, nor am I now in a position to stump-up the shortfall.

The current marina manager/owner is on the ball as far as boats being insured, which is some relief. The boats in poor condition at the marina are liveaboards so I hope that if one of them starts burning it will be noticed quickly and not impact other boats. Of course the newish transient that stays along side me for a few days could also catch fire. But no point in worrying about other boats. I know my own boat is in top condition, despite its age - and it looks in top condition as well - so I sleep easy, no boat nightmares for me.

Do you own the slip? If not, expect the following. They will suggest, 'We are working at a solution. Until then, may we suggest you find a different marina.'

Fire. Been there, if interested I posted my experience titled “Close Call” on 12/15/2014. I think that post sold a lot of fie extinguishers. Bottom line was we, and the boat, lived thru it and learned hard lessons.

GC I just read your "Close Call" thread. I've had a run away diesel stove, fortunately like you all aboard and the boat survived. Searching for the thread I found 3 of the 5 search results were about fires. Fire while aboard scares the willies outta me.

Greetings,
Mr. dh. MY thinking in advising Ms. D to contact her insurance company (IC) is she thinks there is a danger in spite of the fact that the marina owner(s) and the fire brigade seem to think there is none so her fears may be unfounded (irrational). The IC is the one responsible for any potential losses. NOT suggesting Ms. D is irrational in any way but given today's world, who knows WHAT anyone else is thinking.

It would only take a few questions by the IC to determine that Ms. D was aware of the risk (if any) so Ms. D would responsible for not moving her vessel to "safety". IF the IC determines there is no risk (and advises Ms. D it's OK to stay where she is) AND, perish the thought, a fire occurs, Ms. D has done her due diligence and the IC would have to pay out. I would advise everything to be in writing.

Last edited:
Donna, not positive, but the USCG Captain of the Port might be interested in resolving the situation.

Would you like me to make a few calls? I don't even have mention you ... .but I would need the name of the boat.

Running out of anchovie stuffed olives for martinis

I have a friend that at times makes really stupid choices in life.. years ago the friend decides to take off from the west coast and sail to Hawaii.. without letting the other partners who also owned the boat know. Poor planning and seamanship meant that the friend hydro locked the motor, lost all electrical, ran out of food.. then water.
Luckily rain squalls and a unlucky Boobie bird allowed the hapless mariner a few more days of sustenance when a abandoned sailboat was spotted on the horizon. The decision was made to put the nutshell pram (the only other thing aboard that floated.. no raft etc.) in the water.. hove to the boat and row over to see what supplies could be scavenged off the newish 50' sailboat. Keep in mind this is 500 or so miles East of Hawaii in big water.

After trying unsuccessfully to get aboard while balancing on the thwart of a 8' plywood boat in big seas while emaciated, the hapless mariner finally gave up and decided to head back to the boat. Unnoticed the hapless mariners sailboat had decided to sail off into the sunset on its own. I cannot remember the exact time but the hapless mariner finally made it to the boat just after sunset (remember dead batteries and no lights) but it was something like 4 hours of hard rowing!
The hapless mariner finally landed in Hawaii the following week, anchored the boat and rowed ashore and spent the $5 left to the mariners name on departure on snacks from a convenience store.

Some people are just born lucky.. the mariner hadn't even taken a way to bail the pram of the water that came over the side!

The tale is too crazy to believe had I not had a personal connection to the hapless mariner.

This is right up there on my fear list!
HOLLYWOOD

Is his name Rimas Meleshyus? This guy is the luckiest (or craziest) guy in the world.

The Long Strange Voyage of Rimas MeleshyusOld Salt Blog

If you can smell gas strongly from the dock from that boat, I would call 911 and report a strong smell of GASOLINE from the boat in slip XXX at your marina. This is not a hoax call. Also on the call tell them you have reported it to the marina and they have done nothing about it. Its all recorded just in case.

I have someone going down to my boat as I type this. I’m heading into recording now at work. (Not working on the issue at hand).

If the person going down deems it to still be a risk, my boat will be moved for the time being. I have also put tens of thousands of dollars into my boat and have contacted a surveyor who will do an in water survey for my ins. Company. I could not replace it should my worst fear come to fruition.

To make matters worse, if that’s possible, the boat in question belongs to a member of my yacht club.

Greetings,
Mr. dh. MY thinking in advising Ms. D to contact her insurance company (IC) is she thinks there is a danger in spite of the fact that the marina owner(s) and the fire brigade seem to think there is none so her fears may be unfounded (irrational). The IC is the one responsible for any potential losses. NOT suggesting Ms. D is irrational in any way but given today's world, who knows WHAT anyone else is thinking.

It would only take a few questions by the IC to determine that Ms. D was aware of the risk (if any) so Ms. D would responsible for not moving her vessel to "safety". IF the IC determines there is no risk (and advises Ms. D it's OK to stay where she is) AND, perish the thought, a fire occurs, Ms. D has done her due diligence and the IC would have to pay out. I would advise everything to be in writing.

So what does she do if her insurance says " if you fear a risk you should move, if you don't you will assume some of the risk" ? She isn't forced to stay there if there is a real threat.. if I was in the same boat I would find a different place for my boat.

HOLLYWOOD

Greetings,

I understand the rationale now. Thanks RT.

Donna, not positive, but the USCG Captain of the Port might be interested in resolving the situation.

Would you like me to make a few calls? I don't even have mention you ... .but I would need the name of the boat.

I was thinking earlier that contacting the CG might make sense as they may not have been contacted on the fire. Same with FWC.

Donna overall likes where she is and the dockmaster has shown no interest in this matter, so she runs a very tight line between trying to get their attention and making so much fuss they ask her to leave. I might contact the owners of the marina, escalate beyond the dockmaster but it has risks. That's something only she can weigh. Contacting her own insurer really doesn't make much sense to me until she wants to be told to leave, as that would be their likely instruction and would leave her with no choice. Her insurer has no power with the dock. Moving somewhere else for a couple of weeks may well make sense.

How have the other slipholders reacted? It appears the fire couple has a tight relationship with the dockmaster, but do they have the same with other slip holders? I'm afraid this may be a case where you're 100% right but in the minority.

I'd make a major issue out of this if I had somewhere to move I'd be just as happy as this marina. Otherwise, I'd keep pushing but not so much as to be told to leave.

What does the closest fire station say? It sounds like this is a question of evaluating how big of a gasoline leak exists by the smell from dockside. The OP smelled it and has one opinion, the Dockmaster smelled it and has another opinion. Neither has any training in this and both are far from experts, but the Fire Department is trained and has experts. Call the station directly and make a complaint, ask for them to send over someone to make an evaluation.

I was thinking earlier that contacting the CG might make sense as they may not have been contacted on the fire. Same with FWC.

Donna overall likes where she is and the dockmaster has shown no interest in this matter, so she runs a very tight line between trying to get their attention and making so much fuss they ask her to leave. I might contact the owners of the marina, escalate beyond the dockmaster but it has risks. That's something only she can weigh. Contacting her own insurer really doesn't make much sense to me until she wants to be told to leave, as that would be their likely instruction and would leave her with no choice. Her insurer has no power with the dock. Moving somewhere else for a couple of weeks may well make sense.

How have the other slipholders reacted? It appears the fire couple has a tight relationship with the dockmaster, but do they have the same with other slip holders? I'm afraid this may be a case where you're 100% right but in the minority.

I'd make a major issue out of this if I had somewhere to move I'd be just as happy as this marina. Otherwise, I'd keep pushing but not so much as to be told to leave.

The USCG should have been notified the minute a drop of gasoline hit the water .....okay that's overreacting .....but it sounds like more than a few gallons went into the harbor so they definitely should have been contacted by one of the authorities.

Aside from the safety factor, that would have been my second point talking to the Coast Guard..... that they were somehow out of the loop. That alone should have peaked their interest.

What does the closest fire station say? It sounds like this is a question of evaluating how big of a gasoline leak exists by the smell from dockside. The OP smelled it and has one opinion, the Dockmaster smelled it and has another opinion. Neither has any training in this and both are far from experts, but the Fire Department is trained and has experts. Call the station directly and make a complaint, ask for them to send over someone to make an evaluation.

This is the most sensible first step. They're the ones who are going to have to deal with any fire or explosion. I'd be calling the CG right after the FD.

I must not have hit the post box for this.

My big worry is getting my nylon anchor rode around my prop.

My biggest Fear: After years of planning, now preparing to purchase a loop boat, and re-educating myself in proper vessel operations (former lobster boat operator as teen, 1/2 century ago, paper charts and loran C, before GPS), and aligning finances, That I or my admiral suffer a debilitating illness....I don't fear death, after 30+ years in Emergency Medicine I've seen and felt it almost daily, I fear not being able to enjoy what we have worked toward together, being stuck in a nursing home to wither and die. ALSO I fear the new face of medicine where it's run by bean counters and insurance and not about people, like I took my oath for so many decades ago :(

retirementtable.gif

If I read this right. If you retire at 65, then you have half the chance to die in 1.5 years:eek:

The Boeing experience is that employees retiring at age of 65 receive pension checks for only 18 months, on average, prior to death. Similarly, the Lockheed experience is that employees retiring at age of 65 receive pension checks for only 17 months, on average, prior to death. Dr. David T. Chai indicated that the Bell Labs experience is similar to those of Boeing and Lockheed based on the casual observation from the Newsletters of Bell Lab retirees. A retiree from Ford Motor told Dr. Paul Tien-Lin Ho that the experience from Ford Motor is also similar to those in Boeing and Lockheed.

worse than I thought! I have a new fear.

https___blogs-images.forbes.com_simonmoore_files_2018_04_age-at-retirement-1200x390.jpg

This is from the Social Security Administration and presents a much different picture. I don't know the factors influencing Boeing's numbers but they are not true across the board. They also do not represent what I've seen in business.

I retired (was laid off) from Boeing in my early 40’s, retired completely in my mid-50’s and began collecting a Boeing pension at 65. Which number applies to me?

I like and will accept B's numbers. Hope is a powerful force! My FIL retired from Boeing/MD; and will not comment on the length of that cycle.

The USCG should have been notified the minute a drop of gasoline hit the water .....okay that's overreacting .....but it sounds like more than a few gallons went into the harbor so they definitely should have been contacted by one of the authorities.

Aside from the safety factor, that would have been my second point talking to the Coast Guard..... that they were somehow out of the loop. That alone should have peaked their interest.

I must have missed the detail that there was a fuel spill. In that case, not only the USCG but whatever the local environmental authority would be. In my state WA State Dept of Ecology. They would be VERY interested.

I thought in post one Donna said that the bilge pump was pumping out gallons of gasoline.

Upon re-reading it it doesn't say that so I'm sorry for my mistake.

For any oil spill, the number you are supposed to call goes the national response center in Washington DC at Coast Guard headquarters from there they notify all the appropriate authorities.

Last edited:
My biggest fears are echoed by Wild Bill in Post # 111. I have had a good life, so I am not afraid of dying, but a long term, drawn out illness is also my biggest fear. Most of us have likely experienced it with friends and family. A very good friend of mine and College roommate passed away last year after a 6 year battle with MSA. Very active guy; surfer, swimmer, boater, and a good family man. It started with Slight tremors, then a cane, wheel chair, and then he couldn’t speak or lift his arms the last few months. It was brutal and had a big impact on our family and my kids who knew him when they were younger. Live each day to the fullest.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom