What you do in real life?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grew up on the Chesapeake Bay boating with my Grandfather and Father. Joined the Navy spent 22 years flying Helicopters now working as a Merchant Mariner on Military Sealift Command Research Vessels. As a matter of fact getting ready to enter the Straights of Gilbralter later this evening.

Started out as an environmental scientist for a power company, thought I'd get a law degree but spent 7 years in the paper business instead, got an MBA and wound up as investment advisor past 35 years. Co-manager of 5 no load funds. Old enough to retire but can't, I've got grandchildren. Still enjoy the work so intend to continue, just need good internet connection. The pace slows down when I'm on the boat.

We are still working. I am a Executive Chef/Food Service Professional that has made significant dreams come true for others. Working now on hopefully the last full time dream maker for a legendary NY City (pastrami icon)before I retire in 7-10 years. My wife has recently started her teaching career that will hopefully keep our retirement on plane. We have raised 3 great kids and now grand babies are popping on an annual basis. We are blessed with a great family and a great boat that is in our care.

Food family and friends makes the world go around?

Some people think I'm a mathematician... LOL :facepalm:

I've been accused of being a pilot but for those who know the lingo, I am listed in A006 of the Ops Specs for our company (70+ aircraft).

I also tote a gun and badge for an agency and have done so for 18 years.

I retired Spring 2015 after 25 years as Regional Manager and Regional Project Manager for a Fortune 500 retail focused company. Sailed since 13; trawler since 2006. Currently trying to figure out what to do next as full time retirement doesn't challenge my former skills. The boat is only a past time.

Retired civil servant (~45 years, DoD, eventually exec level, starting from a military background). No big bucks.

Early training included air navigation and a few assignments over the years touched on radar and computers/software. Otherwise, no clue about big boat systems, etc.

Father, grandfathers, father-in-law, grandfathers-in-law... all died young. Major auto collision (guy hit us, head-on, at speed, we got cut out of the wreckage) fostered an epiphany: enjoy now, to the extent possible.

Early days running jonboats and paddling led me back toward the water. Have to do as much of my own maintenance as possible, to manage costs, but that also means I have to learn something new every day. ("What's a macerator pump? Where do those hoses lead? What does an oil filter look like? And so forth...)

About 40 years experience in troubleshooting, critical analysis, management, and leadership, plus formal education in management and IT management, have helped...

-Chris

Last edited:
After leaving the USN, for four years mostly at sea, went to work for a small electronics firm. Ten years of doing that and I was ready to make some significant life changes.
Went into business for myself in a totally unrelated industry and remain so today, partially retired and spending about 50% of my time on our boat, which we live aboard. Still have the house and spend less time there as we enjoy our time afloat.

Bill

Retired chemistry professor. Before grad school I spend a few years as a Naval architect doing design work for the Navy. Since my retirement I have dabbled at boat building. I have long had an interest in classic wooden boats. In 2007 I picked my current boat up for a song. A bit over 3,000 hours of my labor later it is still floating. I know the basics of boat maintenance (all aspects of wooden and fiberglass boat building/repair) and do 100% of the work on my boats (33' 1936 wooden motoryacht and 36' 1972 fiberglass sailboat) myself. I am hardly rich but have my priorities right - boats first :)

Retired Army in 1998 after 27 years. My wife & I bought a ranch, which takes a lot of time away from the boat. This is my first boat. Fascinated by the lifestyle. Love working on it. Most of our financial resources go to the ranch up-keep. Up-grades to the boat are slow in coming. That's the way it is. I truly enjoy reading this forum. Greet knowledge shared by everyone, coupled with humor. Someday, the Lord willing. I'll be on my way back to Mexico with her (the boat) :blush:. I'm no piano player....by the way.

Retired from IBM 18 years ago. Wife and I were DINK's - decent incomes, no kids. Started in 1991 with a C-Dory 22 Cruiser. Little previous boating experience beyond a few charter sail cruises in the Bahamas. Worked our way up in a few years to a summer cruising SE Alaska, and have been doing that (and BC) ever since.

Here's the introduction from my book:

Have you ever watched a program on the whales, salmon, bears, eagles, and glaciers of Alaska, and dreamed of seeing the wild and beautiful coast of British Columbia and Alaska for yourself?

How about up close and personal, in your very own boat?

In this book, we’ll describe how you could make that dream a reality, in a small (trailerable) boat.

If you’ve ever taken a cruise ship up to Alaska, along the way you may have noticed a few lucky folks poking along in their own boats, watching the whales, pulling in salmon or crab, or heading off to anchor in a secluded cove.

With a closer look at these private cruisers, you might observe that they’re not nearly as small as they appear from a distance. They might be affordable only with some really serious money. And then there’s the cost of fuel. So, you think, we sure couldn’t afford cruising like this.

But maybe you could…

Cindy and I have been lucky enough to spend more than 1,000 days cruising some 30,000 miles in our own small boats, mainly on the pristine waters of the Pacific Northwest. We aren’t wealthy, and we sure didn’t come into cruising as expert boaters – far from it. We were tent campers, who enjoyed fishing and liked being around the water.

We’ve wandered the Inside Passage as far as Glacier Bay, and floated in front of the great tidewater glaciers, while they calved huge chunks of ice. We’ve been surrounded by whales, porpoises, sea otters, seals and sea lions, dozens of eagles, and bears prowling the shoreline. We’ve feasted on succulent Dungeness crab, huge spot prawns, salmon, and halibut – all caught by us. In so many wonderful anchorages, we’ve been absolutely enchanted by the beauty all around us.

So how did tent campers become cruisers? While camping on Vancouver Island one summer, we decided to go out for a day with a salmon fishing guide. It was dynamite - beautiful, exciting, and great fishing too, all in a 16-foot boat.

Months later, we wandered into a boat show, thinking we could probably afford such a boat. We looked at quite a few, but none really knocked us out. Then we set eyes on a little cabin boat that really stood out from the crowd. It was a C-Dory 22 cruiser, not too much bigger than the fishing boats we were considering, but with a huge difference - it was designed for “camping on the water”. We spent several hours checking out every aspect of the C-Dory. After two more days at the boat show and lots of discussion, we were sold.

That little boat turned out to be one of the best decisions we ever made - a perfect choice for beginning cruisers. She was seaworthy as can be, built with quality, and very cleverly laid out to make the most of her 22 feet. Her cabin sheltered us from the weather, and had windows with all-round visibility. She had good cooking, eating, and sleeping facilities. With her 90hp outboard, she could cruise at 18-20 knots (21-23 mph), and travel 170 nautical miles (195 statute miles) on a tank of gas.

With this boat, we were able to spend peaceful weeks sightseeing on Lake Powell in southern Utah, then weeks and months exploring the Inside Passage of the Pacific Northwest.

The Inside Passage, a stretch of coast roughly 1000 miles long, runs northwest from Washington’s Puget Sound up to Glacier Bay in Southeast Alaska. It’s called the Inside Passage because its waters are protected by countless islands, in a mostly unpopulated area often 100 miles wide from east to west. Roads reach only a very small part of this wild, out-there place. It’s some of the finest cruising anywhere.

If you really want to, you could do this…

Last edited:
I think it goes, "I am an airline pilot....but don't tell my mother, she thinks I am a piano player in a whorehouse."....

I have had 6 "big" boats and none of them have cleared the 100k mark. 3 were sailboats. And that Mainship in my signature was the most expensive simply because it was 2 years old when I bought it. Boats do take money. You have heard the expression..."The two best days in a boat owner's life....the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it". I am here to tell you...the person that says that does NOT know what he is doing when it comes to boats...he is doing it WRONG!!!!

Like everyone has said, it takes a little bit of money but it is so very worth it!!! And it is all in how much you want to spend. One of my favorite boats in this area is a little Bayliner Ciera that I pass every time I go out. Yes, it would be considered one of the "crappy" Bayliners. But when I see it, I see it thru the eyes of a 20 year old who may not have a lot of money but has big dreams. And that boat would be a great boat for someone like that. Outboard power...and otherwise "big" living accommodations for a small boat...26ft I think. I see dreams and memories in that boat.

I always tell my significant other to never "dog" ANY boat....that boat represents someone's dreams. They may not have been realized but there is still heart and soul in every boat.

Anyway, I think I got bit by the boat bug the first time I saw a Sunfish sailboat. As a kid, that represented so much freedom. One of our local yacht clubs has one of the biggest Optimist fleets in the country. And I think what an amazing experience it is for the kids to be "captaining" their own vessel...even though it is 8ft(?) long.

Started as a carpenter working for my dad out of high school then a few years later joined the Navy to see the world. Did that for 10 years and learned to be an electrician/electronics technician. After that continued my career as an electrician/project manager on large commercial, heavy industrial and military projects. My wife is an educator in primary schools. We are still at it!

We are of modest means and have had many boats over the years. Our current boat has been modified by us to suit our needs. We are fortunate that we can do all the work ourselves.

Who knows what tomorrow brings, live your dream today.

Last edited:
There is an Island around here called "Redfish Island". It is pretty much the limit of everyone that daytrips in this area. It is only a little spoil bank on the side of the Houston Ship Channel. In fact, we call the HSC, "The Edge of the World" simply because no one ever goes beyond it. Just a little background on the lyrics of a song from a local songwriter. Don't wait to long or you may end up like "Jimmy".

I've got dreams about the ocean
To sail the seven seas
Or catch a gulfstream breeze
And hide out in the Keys
Take my time and live my life
Just the way I please
But why am I afraid to sail away

She's a good boat and she's sturdy
And I know she'd pass the test
I've fitted her out perfectly
I know she's the best
And patiently she waits for me
She's ready I can tell
But her body's never felt the ocean swell

It's a long way from Redfish to the Islands
It could take a week or more
And there could be a storm
No I don't wanna die on Redfish Island
So just push me to the Gulf and set me free
'Cause that's the only way I'll live my dream

It was Saturday they told me
About Jimmy down the dock
How a heart attack had stopped him dead
I thought about our talk
He swore that in a year he planned
To lay his lawbooks down
Now his boat's for sale and Jimmy's in the ground

The next week I was busy
Sold my house and sold my car
Sold nearly ev'rything I own
Except this old guitar
Stepped aboard my lady love
And steered her out to sea
'Cause that city life had done enough to me

Retired ninja
Current wet t shirt contest judge

HOLLYWOOD

Per popular opinion, as an insurance guy, I count amongst my peer group:

-Used car salesmen
-Lawyers
-Politicians

Esteemed company, all!

Wel at least I'm above lawyers and politicians.

[emoji51]

My wife and I both retired at the end of 2010 so we're coming up on 6 years as boating bums.

I got my first boat at age 5--a 9' row boat that I always managed to keep at a no-wake speed.

After I grew up (some say that's debatable) I spent 7.5 years in the USAF working on Airborne Inertial Navigation Systems and Doppler Radar.

When I got out of the Air Force I took a job with an electronics company in Portland, OR.

I stayed there a year or so then moved to Richland WA to become a cop. I did that for 15+ years until I suffered from burn out. During that time I was served as Community Relations Officer, Armorer (gunsmith), Firearms Instructor and Hostage Negotiator.

During this time I bought my first "real" boat, a Reinell 20' bowrider. I loved the boat, owned it for 10 years and when I sold it it looked like a brand new boat.

During this whole part of my life I'd gone to college in Business Admin with majors in marketing and finance. That led to a job as Business Manager with an RV and auto sales company that employed about 250 people. I enjoyed that but after 10 years of working for an owner who frequently lied to us I went in one day and quit.

About this time frame I traded the bowrider in on a Sea Ray 330 Sundancer because I wanted a bot I could overnight on. I owned it for a couple of years until it was totaled one night when I got hit by a boat driving by a BUI.

That led to another 330 Sundancer which I owned until 2010 when we bought our current boat, a 550 Sedan Bridge.

I had no idea what I was going to do but knew I would land on my feet. I figured I would take about 3 months to get my head screwed on straight before looking for a job.

Well that quickly went out the window because within a week or so a friend suggested I talk with a mutual friend about becoming a financial advisor. I talked with him, studied for 3 months for my Series 6 and Series 7 licenses. I passed the Series 7 test the first try and set up shop in their office.

I did that job for about 9 years and figured it was about the best career a guy could have. The money was good, the people I worked with were great, the boss didn't lie to us and my clients were great to work with.

In 2014 we bought a 2010 Boston Whaler 13' Super Sport that had been used as a dinghy on a large boat in Seattle. We loved it so much that in 2015 we bought a 1981 Whaler 13' Sport that we keep at our place in AZ.

So now we're retired and spend our time traveling, playing with grand kids and enjoying our boats.

I'm called a "Global Service Support Development Manager" I work for a 350 year old German company called Merck. 4 years ago the company I worked for (Amnis) was bought by Merck, and some of the payout from that deal bought our boat. Amnis developmed a very cool system called an Imaging Flow Cytometer. It's used in basic research.

I learnt electronics in the USAF way back in the early 70's, they still taught tube theory, cause the ancient gear we worked on still used'em. After the AF spent a few years on odd jobs until I found a service engineer position in the Life Science/Bioscience industry, working on systems sold mostly to academia and pharmecudical companies, so I'm in the same industry for over 30 years. I will retire soon and move from Seattle to Port Townsend, our boat already being in Hadlock.

Way under 100k for the boat and refitting. I don't have a bucket of money, but will be able to enjoy the time that's left the Gods willing.

If the piano player needs banjo player I'm willing....

Federal bank regulator (retired 2013) keeping your money safe to spend on boats. On my third and final boat. Started with 30' express cruiser, then a 36' convertible, and finally a trawler. All owned since moving to PNW 20 years ago.

Last edited:
Unemployed and until recently, homeless (unless you count the boat). If life was any better, it would be called heaven!

So my question is how did you get here? What kind of professions are represented on this forum, and to a larger extent, the crusing, trawler community?

I was an engineer, mostly Marine and aircraft electronics. I designed steering systems for tug boats, hydraulic systems, autopilots and electronic helm systems.
I also designed instrument systems for aircraft (DC-10, MD-11, MD-80~95). I also designed interior cabin systems (Floors, ceilings, walls, seats, lavs, galleys, etc.) for commuter jet aircraft.

But I quit all that 5 years ago and came to the east coast to live on a sail boat. Now I have decided to move on to a trawler. I came to the east coast because the west just didn't feel like home. I was raised on Long Island and love the east coast, the ICW and all. There are more places to anchor in the Chesapeake than on the whole west coast. And the water is warmer. :dance:

A few years in retail: Bikes, Boats and cars, then a stint as a High school guidance counselor, 25 years in the Motorcycle Biz (executive sales level for Honda Motor Company), then 10 years as an entrepreneur building Audi and VW performance parts in my garage and shipping all over the world.. All dirty jobs but someone had to do them!...It's been a long and winding path...

Boating the whole time (since age 3) having grown up on the Chesapeake...

I learnt electronics in the USAF way back in the early 70's, they still taught tube theory, cause the ancient gear we worked on still used'em.

D.H. Meissner

Do I know you? AFSC 32871, USAF 67-74 Last base was Langley AFB, VA.

Last edited:
Sales

I have spent the better part of my working life in sales of some sort. It started with my first job at the age of 10 hocking newspapers. It use to upset me when I was waking up at 4am to do such and people would say when are you going to get a real job. Well not too many require you to work 365 days a year, snow, rain or shine. But I took pride in them all.
Food and beverage
Professional debt collections, I started front line hourly with no experience and spent 12 years honing and working with some real great people. Helping out many along the way and gave my resignation when I met the love of my life and best friend. I couldn't be without her. So I walked in and handed in my papers. Left the company with over 80 people working for me.
From there I sold cars for a few years in the town I moved to. That was a great time for so many reasons.
Then the biggest change in a parents life, the birth of my son. So we decided that I would be the stay at home parent. Built a Bartender during this time in Bellingham.
Now that he is in grade school full time I am dedicating my time into selling, buying and investing into real estate both professionally and personally. This allows me to combine all the years of service work I have performed and use them to benefit my clients. I have enjoyed helping people reach and work towards their real estate goals, both short term and long term.

I so admire the depth of knowledge on this forum and I'm having a great time learning new things. I see lots of really beautiful and I can only imagine high six figure boats in many of your avatars.

So my question is how did you get here? What kind of professions are represented on this forum, and to a larger extent, the crusing, trawler community?

Is this a hobby/lifestyle for the elite, or can a regular, upper middle class couple get into it? I have read post where people are talking about equipment, maintenance and repairs with $5000, $10,000 and more thrown around. Those are relatively big numbers to me.

For myself, I have spent 32 years working in my private optometric practice. The only reason we didn't starve was my wife has been working as an elementary school teacher. Over the last decade, the prior 20 years started to finally pay off and we hit the upper middle income level. I have to work for another decade, but my wife can retire after the end of this year.

Boats are expensive. There is a reason that we refer to $1000 spent on a boat as a "boat buck". I started sailing dinghies as a kid and then sailed on my parents sailboats until 2006 when my Dad died and I bought half their Catalina 36 from my Mom for a dollar. Eventually we purchased a larger sailboat and then this last spring jumped into a power boat.

I spent a lot of money (at least in my mind) on this boat. Since I am still working full time I traded cash for time. Boats are expensive and time consuming to maintain. In general, the more you spend up front, then less time it will take initially to maintain the boat. For this reason you don't have to be rich to get into a boat in the 35-50' range but you do have to commit to time spent in repairs and maintenance.

I am fortunate in my financial situation but have no where near the financial resources that some TF members do. At the same time, there are some folks here with very modest means who have managed to enjoy an impressive cruising lifestyle through hard work, diligence, and commitment.

I have worked in aviation all my life. I learned to fly at 15 before I learned to drive. College taught me Aeronautical Engineering, I have worked as flight instructor, charter pilot, AM traffic reporter, pipeline patrol. After the Air Traffic Controller strike of 1981, I joined FAA as a controller until 1985. For the next 27 years I worked as an FAA Flight Inspection pilot on Saberliner 80, King Air 300 and Learjet 60 aircraft certifying civil and military approaches, navaids, comm, radar, airport lighting, etc. I also designed Instrument Approach Procedures in my early Flight Inspection days.

Four years ago I hung up my wings and donned a pink boating cap.

Last edited:
Well, I've been a roofer, auto mechanic, martial arts instructor and 30 years as an operator/supervisor at a major chemical company. I retired last year and have kept myself very busy working on and enjoying my new/old boat. In fact, I have way too many toys (boats & motorcycles) so I plan to use retirement to restore and sell most of my toys to finance some more improvements to Islander as we want to do the Great Loop in a year or two. :dance::dance:

Kevin

I'm a life-long gear-head and geek. Played with cars through college (funded my education), but discovered computers in high school and transitioned over to that completely in college. Worked in the computer industry for about 25 years, and retired in 2008.

I've been boating since about age 8, and still have the Boston Whaler that we got when I was 14. Did a bunch of sail boat cruising in my 20s, but that ended with kids, and we returned to small boats until I retired. Then got back into cruising, but the comfortable way, i.e. trawlers and similar boats.

Retired construction company owner/operator. Roofer and framer by trade . Stepped into acting and currently do television commercials for major networks. It affords me the luxury of a lot of time to work on my boat. I work on the boat 4-5 days a week. Time to start playing.

Owned a 24ft. Sea Ray and just bought the big boat. (which I have no clue how to operate) LOL! I'll get it. Lots of determination here!

Back
Top Bottom