Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
What would you do?

So here's an interesting dilema.* I'm not looking for suggestions for us, but using us as an example for the question.

We may---- may being the operative word--- at some time in the not too distant future be in a position to increase our allotted boating funds.* We have determined two possibilities (and we are not considering any more so don't offer any suggestions :-) ).**

Option 1*is to take our 1973 fiberglass*GB36 up to Vancouver, turn it over to a yard up there, and tell them to turn it into a brand new boat.* Completely rework the hull, new barrier, new*paint, new glued-down*teak decks, new engines, new generator, new*ergonomic*seat*cushions and upholstery, new dining table, new headliners,*new anything else that will benefit from being new.

Option 2 is to sell the GB36 as-is and buy a different boat.* We have decided there are only two boats that meet our criteria if we do this, and they are the drop-cockpit Grand Banks 46 and the Fleming 55.* That's it, those are the only two, the end.

Interestingly enough, we are both leaning toward the total rebuild of our existing boat.* The reasons are too numerous to list here, other than we feel the GB36 is the ideal size for what we do and ever will do*with a boat.* The GB46 and the FL55 are pretty big boats, larger than we actually need.* And*there's only the two of us and bigger boats are heavier boats to deal with at the dock, in the wind, etc.* But.... we've looked at examples of both of them and they are very, very nice boats.

We are well aware that Option 1 will involve spending FAR, FAR more money than the boat is worth or ever will be worth.* We bought the boat with the philosphy that we would never see a dime out of it when we were done with it.* It can be turned into a fish habitat.* But it would be nice to return it to not only new condition but better than new condition for the remainder of the time (hopefully a couple of decades) that we are still able to use it

So here's the question to discuss.....* if the money became available*to completely rework your current boat, fix everything that needs fixing, replace everything that you'd like to replace-- be they big ticket items like engines or small ticket items like anchors---*would you do this?* Or would you put the same amount of money toward a different boat?

I guess this is a sort of "how much do you like your boat?" question.


-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 1st of November 2011 11:08:42 PM
__________________
Advertisement

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #2
Guru
 
hollywood8118's Avatar
 
City: Port Townsend Washington
Country: USA
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,482
RE: What would you do?

Marin,

An interesting delema....

First.. how much do I like my present boat?, enough to dump that kind of money and effort into her.. nope!

If you are going to do that kind of project... you are doing it because you like the project aspect of it.* Don't get me wrong I like to tinker on boats but it is for the end result of using the boat to " get away ". If you are going to dump that kind of money dump it into a boat you have some hope of getting at least some of your money back.

My money* would go into the Fleming 55, beautiful boats that I have always dreamed about.* A bigger boat doesn't necessarily equate to a tougher boat to operate, but it definitely will be a more comfortable boat. I couldn't believe the difference from our GB36 to Volunteer from a comfort standpoint.. And it was not one bit harder to deal with.

HOLLYWOOD
__________________

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,360
RE: What would you do?

GB 46 is my vote since it is a significant step up from the GB36 in seaworthiness and a lot less $ than the woefully outdated F55, Do not ask me why the F55 is outdated nor ask me what GB is even better than the F55.

Also, Golden Retrievers have a vote.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
What would you do?

Quote:
hollywood8118 wrote:
If you are going to do that kind of project... you are doing it because you like the project aspect of it....

...If you are going to dump that kind of money dump it into a boat you have some hope of getting at least some of your money back.
FWIW, the GB36 rebuild would not be a project for us.* It would be a total turnkey operation.* "Here's the boat,*we want it*back in a year with x-things done to it."

Good points all in your post, but remember, we got into this kind of boating without intending or*expecting to get any of the money we spend on boating back. In this respect, our boat is no different than my fly fishing gear.* So the money spent on rebuilding the GB36 or the money spent on an FL55 or GB46 would be "gone" money.* Hobby money. *So resale value does not factor at all into our decision.

It probably would in most other people's, however.* Hence the question--- would you fix up your current boat or spend the same amount of money toward a different boat?* The amount can be whatever it needs to be to fix up your own boat--- $10,000, $100,000, whatever.*

I'm interested in what you guys would do, not what you guys think we should do.


-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 1st of November 2011 11:25:08 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:44 PM   #5
Guru
 
Woodsong's Avatar
 
City: Atlanta
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,630
RE: What would you do?

I'd fix up our Monk AND buy the fleming!

Obviously no point talking money- it makes no sense to rebuild the GB 36 from a $$$ standpoint. It really boils down, IMO, to what you all will enjoy and make you happy and further your enjoyment on the water. With just the 2 of you, a smaller boat is easy to handle, dock, clean, etc. Over 20 years of ownership, dockage difference alone could easily be $2-4K a year, call it $3k a year, so factor the dockage savings into keeping the GB36- it will certainly add up over the years!!! Many may say get the bigger boat just to get the bigger boat but that does not guaranty happiness. I am all about buying the boat that meets your needs- whether that is a 36 or a 55 or a 20. I genuinely love our little Monk 36 and even though on a practical standpoint, we really "need' more space with 2 kids and the dog and my wife and I....truth be told....I love that little Monk and would be 110% happy keeping her. If the GB36 meets your needs, allows you to cruise everywhere and how you want, you find yourself not needing more space, enjoy being aboard and owning her, and you don't need a large boat like the 55 or 46, I'd be inclined to say stick with your GB36. If it were just my wife and I we would be extremely happy with our Monk and would never think of getting another boat.
Sometimes there is more beauty in simplicity. But then again, the F55 sure is pretty too!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
Guru
 
Conrad's Avatar
 
City: Calgary
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,553
RE: What would you do?

"...we feel the GB36 is the ideal size for what we do and ever will do*with a boat."

If I felt that way about our present boat, I would go the update route, as then you can have exactly the boat you want, and you can look at it and say I/we created that. And you will know that everything was done right.*

You have lived with your boat long enough to know exactly what could be *improved whereas if you purchase a different boat you will slowly come to realize that it has some areas that could use tweaking.*

I would not do that with our present boat only because it is about 4-5 feet too short and needs a second stateroom to properly fit our cruising requirements.

A very good question Marin.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:00 AM   #7
Hospitality Officer
 
Andy G's Avatar
 
City: Pittwater
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,557
RE: What would you do?

It really depends on what you feel you are lacking in your present boat. For myself, I would like the boat to have a larger saloon,more room in the aft cabin, and enough power to handle a running sea with confidence.

In theory no matter how much money I throw at Sarawana, I can't change the dimensions of the interior, and I don't think the hull would be very happy with too much extra power.

To get what I want I would have to look for a different boat. However I would be very reluctant to do this because I am very happy with the 'old girl', and it has taken a while to really get to know her.

So it is better that I don't have the money in the first place to put the temptation there.It's like that that song 'Be careful what you wish for'.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
Guru
 
Tony B's Avatar
 
City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Country: Cruising/Live-Aboard USA
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,250
RE: What would you do?

If I loved my boat that much and I had the money for Option 1, I would do exactly that.
I have done similarly in the past just not nowhere to that extent - mainly because of limited funds.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
RE: What would you do?

I do not know you as well as your peers on this forum but the question to answer from my standpoint is would I wish to be without use of my boat for a year for the rebuilding process? You have stated repeatedly that you use your boat weekly. That would leave a lot of time for my new favorite hobby, boat shopping.

*

I completely agree with you on the point of "gone" money. That is the way I look at my upcoming purchase. Like a new pair of clubs, you kiss the money goodbye and don't look back.


Ultimately I would go with my heart, if I could do without my boat for a long term project, fine. Otherwise I'd sell it and move to another boat.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:16 AM   #10
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
RE: What would you do?

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:
*Many may say get the bigger boat just to get the bigger boat but that does not guaranty happiness.
*A large part of my reason (my wife has different reasons) for currently leaning toward a complete rebuild of the GB36-- assuming this happens at all-- is that while we both lusted after the immaculate GB46s in the large local charter fleet that we have to walk past every time we go to our boat, after 13 years of owning out boat, I do not want to wash, polish, wax, or maintain the wood finish on one more inch of boat.* I don't want one more inch of deck or one more inch of handrail or caprail.* Because if we bought a different boat, we'd still do as much of the maintenance as we could.

On the other hand, all that room in the main cabin and galley of either the GB46 or the FL55 would sure be nice......
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #11
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
RE: What would you do?

Quote:
CPseudonym wrote:
I do not know you as well as your peers on this forum but the question to answer from my standpoint is would I wish to be without use of my boat for a year for the rebuilding process?**
Good question but we have so much stuff going on that not having the GB for a year would not be an issue.* Actually it could be a blessing if I don't*pick up the pace on my current writing project.* And it might not be a whole year anyway-- the very*rough estimates we've gotten from various yards have ranged widely in terms of*time.*

And we have another boat, an Arima fishing boat (on a trailer) that has kind of taken a back seat to the GB these past years.* We both love salmon and halibut*fishing on the Arima so not having the GB would give us a chance to use it more.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:42 AM   #12
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
RE: What would you do?

"And we have another boat, an Arima fishing boat (on a trailer) that has kind of taken a back seat to the GB these past years.* We both love salmon and halibut*fishing on the Arima so not having the GB would give us a chance to use it more."

That softens the blow and adds to the equation.
"On the other hand, all that room in the main cabin and galley of either the GB46 or the FL55 would sure be nice......"
We have a saying with hot rods, there is no substitute for cubic inches... If money really has been removed from the equation several of the marinas I am considering have detailing services for reasonable rates.
"after 13 years of owning out boat, I do not want to wash, polish, wax, or maintain the wood finish on one more inch of boat.* I don't want one more inch of deck or one more inch of handrail or caprail."


The advice of a newbie, probably not worth .02*
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:20 AM   #13
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,669
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
RE: What would you do?

Quote:
Marin wrote:"On the other hand, all that room in the main cabin and galley of either the GB46....but after 13 years of owning out boat, I do not want to wash, polish, wax, or maintain the wood finish on one more inch of boat.* I don't want one more inch of deck or one more inch of handrail or caprail."
*Marin, I think I know where you are coming from, as I have had those same thoughts, and my reply would be as follows....

If I only had enough money to really complete/re-do/replace/install what I don't have on Lotus now, but would like, then that's what I would do.* But if I came into enough money I could do much more than that, like virtually renew, which is what you are envisaging, then I'd definitely sell her and go new or near new and get the boat we would really like, but not go over the top.* Just a bit bigger, and all fibreglass - and yes - minimal exposed timber.* So I'm with you there, and many new boats are going that way anyway, including Fleming.* What I would not do is move away from the sedan/Europa style boat like we do have, because I just love that rear cockpit and larger saloon, and the indoor/outdoor lifestyle it allows.* But we would like the extra stateroom a larger, say 40 to 50 foot length would allow, and the increased cruise speed also.* But that's all.* Now I know you would like the Europa style too, because you have said so several times, and sadly, no matter how much you spend on the GB 36 aft cabin you have, that is one thing you can't change, and one thing I fear you would eternally regret not having got.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:48 AM   #14
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
What would you do?

Well, here's my 2 cents worth. When I got divorced 15 years ago, I reluctantly lost my beloved 34' Irwin sailboat. I never thought I could replace her. It was just perfect, right size, fast, etc, etc. Well of course I did and found to my surprise it wasnt as perfect as I thought. That may be the mind set you're in right now, especially after 15 years of ownership. You fell in love with the boat, warts and all.*
Boats are never a good investment, heck theyre no investment at all, but some are better than others. Putting the money your talking about into an older boat will return very very little even though you say you don't care. But some day you'll want to get something out of this dismal investment and perhaps a wiser move would be to consider your other options. I didn't catch the age of the other boats you're considering, but I think you've advised several times on TF, buy the newest boat you can afford.
A larger boat especially for two people is really a matter of perception and perhaps to a lesser degree a matter of design. My somewhat newer '98 model boat was designed with the aid of CAD software and the results can be easily seen in space and working environment when compared to older boats. Though only 35 ft (40 ft hull) the living space for 2 is ample. But again that's my perception and others may not agree. Also, not one bit of exposed teak, yea.
Marin, you are probably one of the wises persons on TF. You'll make the right decision for you, and your wisdom shows by initiating this discussion.*


-- Edited by timjet on Wednesday 2nd of November 2011 06:53:13 AM
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #15
Scraping Paint
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,804
RE: What would you do?

I would not go for Option 1 unless I had the time and desire to be part of the refit or had the money to pay a very trusted "owner's representative" to live with the project until completion. Even then I would not let any part of it out of my sight for long and the level of involvement demanded will be far beyond what you may be willing to commit.

Never, never, turn that kind of project over to a yard or any contractor. Nothing good will come of it and while that is a fact it is not because yards or contractors are bad or crooked, it is because it is not their boat or their money (though a lot of yours will be theirs by the time it's all over) and they cannot possibly see your vision with any degree of clarity.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #16
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
RE: What would you do?

When you mentioned you want to just turn it over to the yard and come back a year later.......

I was kind of thinking what Rick just said. I think you would be badly disappointed.*
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #17
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Country: usa
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6,360
RE: What wouldou do?

RickBX2. I have a relative who is having a major refit done at possibly the best yard on the West Coast. His Captain is there 24/5 following and correcting. No way*you should*let the*GB 36*out of your sight. For that reason alone the GB46, if well found, is* my choice. Plus, bigger is better I've heard.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #18
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,707
RE: What would you do?

You're WAY too narrow minded Marin. Soo many boats and soo little time. Sell the 36 that you have said you do'nt like many times with the engines you almost hate and spend a year shopping. You'll have many wonderful adventures looking at many boats (my user name on another forum is "many boats"). But you'll need to open up some and get rid of some of that tunnel vision. In many ways you're really open minded but when it comes to boat brands and anchors you're not. If you really look (as in more than GBs) you will find lots of boats you have'nt even dreamed of. I have another suggestion but you said do;nt make it so I wo'nt. It's obvious though.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #19
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
What would you do?

Quote:
RickB wrote:


Never, never, turn that kind of project over to a yard or any contractor. Nothing good will come of it and while that is a fact it is not because yards or contractors are bad or crooked, it is because it is not their boat or their money (though a lot of yours will be theirs by the time it's all over) and they cannot possibly see your vision with any degree of clarity.

That's sound thinking, and when I said a turnkey project I did not mean that we would give them the boat and go away until it was done.* Regardless of which yards or companies did the work, we would be monitoring it on a very frequent basis.* My use of the word "turnkey" simply means we would not be doing any of the work ourselves.

The complete rebuild--- well, it's not a total rebuild, so maybe refit is the better word--- of the GB36 would be considerably less expensive than buying a different boat.* A contributor, albeit not a major one--- particularly in today's market--- to the price of the larger boat would be the sale of the GB36.*

Another factor would be whether or not to repower the GB.* As I have stated before, I am not a fan of the Ford Lehman 120 for a lot of reasons.* We would both prefer newer, quieter, cleaner, more efficient engines.* But..... the FL120s have only about 2500 hours on them at this point.* They run fine (today, who knows about tomorrow).* One option would be to keep them but sequester (invest) the funds to replace them should the need arise.

Contrary to what some have assumed, we are not in love with the GB36 (or any of the GB line, for that matter).* There are other boat configurations that we prefer, the Fleming being at the top of that list.* So we have no "special attachment" to our boat.* It's basically well made and is very well suited for the waters we cruise in or will be cruising in.* It's overall configuration has proven to work very wel for us over the last 13 years.* The devil's in the details--- the settee cushions are very un-ergonomic, for example. The forward head, as tiny as it is, could be reconfigured to make it more user-friendly. And so on.

So why put a ton of money into completely restoring it?* Because we also don't want to buy another owner's (or multiple owners') problems (again).* We know this boat inside and out now.* We know all the problems, potential problems, and deficiencies in the original fitting out at American Marine.* If we go and get a different boat we won't know any of this, but we won't have the funds to fix them outside of what we can do ourselves. So we'll be doing what we do now, which is fix or maintain stuff that comes up as best we can.

Not that things won't start to wear out the moment we start using the re-fitted GB36.* But, like a new car, we will at least be starting with a clean piece of paper.* And all those niggling problems that we have now and know how to fix but don't have the time or the tools or the skill to fix wil be gone.

Another factor was mentioned by an earlier poster.* A 36' boat is less expensive to moor and insure than a 55' boat.

PeterB mentioned the Europa as being a preferred configuration, with which both I and my wife agree.* You get that configuration automatically with the Fleming, which is by far and away our preference over the GB46 based on what we know right now about both boats.* However we have found in the last three years that there can be real advantages to having a tri-cabin, which is the main reason the GB46 is one of the two boats on our "different boat" list.* If the GB42 had been made with the same step-down aft cockpit as the original GB46s, it woud be on the list, too.* But if we chose Option 2, the Europa vs Tri-cabin is a decision we'll have to confront.* But we don't want to get ahead of ourselves.

*


-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 2nd of November 2011 01:23:28 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #20
dvd
Senior Member
 
dvd's Avatar
 
City: California Bay Area
Country: US
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 362
RE: What would you do?

At this point, the only reason I would trade out my 37 ft. trawler would be to get a boat with stabilizers. We do only coastal cruising, but that sometimes means 10-20 miles offshore for some lengthy (24 hrs.+) passages where having a stabilized boat would really add to the comfort. I don't have room for an active stabilizer system and I don't want to invest the $25K or so to engineer, build and install a paravane system. When I was in the Pacific Northwet I had paravanes on my 30 ft. Willard and it made a huge difference in comfort.

dvd
__________________

dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012