What would this relay be for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was down at the boat today and of course accomplished just a fraction of things I wanted to get done. One of the things I wanted to do was figure out this relay.

I failed.

I tried to trace the power lines from the RIB. I wasn't able to figure out where they went. The relay does nothing more than close a switch when it I powered. I thought I would try and figure out what circuit was made when the relay was closed.

The two orange leads quickly disappeared into tight bundles of wires and out of sight. I picked up one lead again before it dove down from the PH towards the ER. In the ER I was able to follow it from forward to aft until it disappeared under the aft bulkhead heading towards my aft lazaret. I wasn't able to find it in the aft lazaret. I couldn't find the other lead at all.

I find out why the relay hasn't seemed to actually do anything though. I found a fuse holder which was open and the fuse was removed.

I ran out of time but the next task will be to see if I can fine out where the control wires come from.

Well if there was no fuse and you did not notice it I guess this one is useless :)

You have curious enough to want to come down and help you figure it out! [emoji124]

It will just take more time and a lot of crawling around in tight spaces. I will get there.

Anything been removed from the original equipment on the boat such as a dinghy crane? Could also have been a provided for a normal accessory that was never installed such as a water maker or maybe an electric clutch for a hydraulic accessories pump on the engine or generator (for a bow thruster).

Ted

It is an either/or relay I think...manual or auto.

A wild guess but thinking like Baltic Sea was back a few posts ago....

Air conditioner pump.

If the relay is left in auto works as normal.

How about turning it to "on" and seeing if the pump comes on all the time.

If you have been playing with the switch and haven't noticed anything different....well....good luck :facepalm:

Any other systems on the boat that prefer an auto relay but could use a manual for use or testing?

Since it is not currently used something was removed from the boat. Are there any unconnected seacocks?

Is there/did there used to be a washer/dryer in the lazerette?

You guys are good...

At one time there was both a washer/dryer and a water maker. There is an unused seacock from the water maker install. I would not be surprised if it could have been related to one of those and that would explain why it was taken out of service.

When I bought my boat, before bringing it home from the PO's marina, I brought at least two dock carts full of unused wires, hoses and tubing to the dumpster. I've been pulling out more pretty consistently ever since.

Just wanted you to know you're not alone in finding things "abandoned in place."

Indeed, I found push button, behing the electric panel, connected to unmarked wires and I still don't have any clue about what it is. Don't want to push it in case it will ignite a nuclear strike :)

RIBs are indeed

Multi voltage coil relays. That is what makes them so wonderful for a tech to have in his stash.

They come with color coded wires, one for each input voltage.

My guess is the OP's relay input is 120 VAC.

FWIW The specs on the coil are probably more of a menu and are in reality 'one the above' not 'all of the above'. Could be wrong but relay's I've met have a particular coil (coil is what drives the contacts). Multi-rated contacts sure.. its just a conductor but coil volts and ac. vs dc matter.

Back
Top Bottom