Old 09-03-2014, 03:12 PM   #81
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
There are quite a few Nordics on the East Coast and people wanting a lot of walk thrus will take them to popular spots like Newport, Annapolis or Ft Lauderdale. Plus wasn't this a brokerage boat... as maybe a trade in?

Plus...nah..I would never judge the average popular boat in a marina as a "recommended boat for the area"...there are just too many variables and the average boater is just that...the average boater. If you are then maybe it's a good idea..but a trawler guy walking into 99% f the east coast marinas isn't likely to see a majority of trawlers. And a sportfish guy doesn't see nearly as many sportfsh in Annapolis or Oriental, NC compared to Cape May, Ocean City, Md, Beaufort, NC, etc...nor would a sailor find passagemakers in backwaters marinas.

Now in really out of the way places...some of the PNW, including most of BC and Alaska....3rd world countries, etc..sure local boats/hull types may be the best suited...but most of the US based on all the possibilities....nah...I'll stick to research from people who are doing what I want to do with a boat..even if I stay local with it.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #82
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
....would never judge the average popular boat in a marina as a "recommended boat for the area"...there are just too many variables and the average boater is just that...the average boater.
Actually, I think BandB had a good suggestion there, although I do agree with psneeld's "average popular boat" statement, too.

While it might take more time than an eager, impatient, potential boat buyer would want to spend, I think the notion of talking to the "serious" cruisers in a marina or a particular region would tend to steer one toward the kind of boats best suited for that area.

For example, what do the charter outfits have, and what are their most popular boats? A good local surveyor can be a useful source of advice, too, for what kind of boats are best suited for a particular area. I can think of a couple of surveyors up here we've used who, were we new or inexperienced boaters in this area, would be well worth talking to for advice as to what makes and models of boats work well for cruising these waters and have plenty of locally available support from yards that are experienced with them to engine shops and so on.

A number of boats work equally well across the spectrum of coastal cruisng waters. Nordic Tugs are certainly one of them. But make-specific things like manufacturer support, dealer support, engine and generator support, and so on can have an impact on the experience a boater has with a particular boat.

In this area makes like Tollycraft, Bayliner/Meridian, Grand Banks, Nordic Tug, American Tug, Selene, Krogen, Nordhavn and Fleming come to mind as boats that are well suited for the waters between here up through SE Alaksa and that an owner can get help with (if needed) even if it's a real old boat (like ours).

If my wife and I wanted to cruise more open waters than we do, out in the Pacific itself for example, we would not have selected a boat like a Grand Banks. There are a number of reasons for this, not the least of which is the way the hull behaves in rougher water. For "out there", unless we were going to be in a big hurry all the time, a displacement boat like a Krogen (or a sailboat) would have been on our list.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #83
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I also question getting a 32' tug type trawler. I have found the DE, cruiser, trawler, SF boats below 35 to be cramped both for folks and machinery. I know there are exceptions, and have never been on a NT32, but in general in that size things get cramped both when cruising and when working on it.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:23 PM   #84
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I also question getting a 32' tug type trawler. I have found the DE, cruiser, trawler, SF boats below 35 to be cramped both for folks and machinery. I know there are exceptions, and have never been on a NT32, but in general in that size things get cramped both when cruising and when working on it.
It all depends on the intended use. A lot of couples are very happy with small tugs for weekend cruising and even vacations with just the two of them. I see the NT32 as a two person boat. But it will handle the PNW waters better than many boats it's size and can be less expensive to operate and to dock. Some like small, simple and easy. I don't know the OP and his plans.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #85

I agree. There are definitely times I think I would enjoy less boat and less systems. It's why boats come in different sizes!

Dave
Old 09-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #86
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
To me it sounds like the OP didn't really want the boat, or doesn't understand boat maintenance.

A generator that dies when a load is appied could easily be (and is likely to be) something as simple as a fuel filter issue. Rarely will a generator engine that runs, just die because of something really expensive.

You can buy a AC unit at defender.com or west marine. Power, two seawater hoses, thermostat wires and a air duct and thats pretty well it. A afternoon job for almost any DYI guy, and less for a mechanic. AC units cost what a couple grand?

Used boats are used boats. The way I look at it little things found at survey are mine to fix as the buyer. Big things are the basis for negotiation.

Only after negotiation fails is the boat rejected outright.

Unless you didnt want it at all, then why waste your time and money on a survey.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #87

Well in all fairness the survey and the first visit by the OP did bring to light a number of issues he didn't expect after flying 3000 miles. Genset failure. AC failure. Some breaker tripping. Failed WOT test. Questionable repairs one using silicone in the completely wrong application. Easy to say this is trivial stuff but he was told all was fixed and shown receipts and still the same things were broken when he got there.

Sure it's a boat and something will always be broken, but seems like something isn't ringing true here.

Dave
Old 09-03-2014, 06:52 PM   #88
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Everybody has their own criteria. 2 1/2 years ago I walked from a boat deal because the owner, not sales broker, pi$$ed me off over minor financial shenanigans that went on and on. Trying to force a toy boat deal to me is not wise, it is either there or not.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:05 PM   #89
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
2 1/2 years ago I walked from a boat deal because the owner, not sales broker, pi$$ed me off over minor financial shenanigans that went on and on.
Must have been contagious as roughly 6 months after that I walked on a GB-36 for almost the exact same reason. In our case it was a minor shenanigan that I never gave the owner a chance to repeat.

Boat was fine, the owner was a twit.

Moral seems to be don't pi$$ off the buyer of a purely recreational item.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #90
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster_in_edmonds View Post
Run away from this boat. When you spend over a grand "troubleshooting" and things still don't work you have a big problem. The suspicious side of me thinks the boat has spent time under water. Are all of the electronics pretty new? On a lightly-used ten year old boat that would strike me as odd. Why else would all of the mechanicals, like the cutlass bearing, have to be repaired?

Even if that is not the case the broker let you fly out on your own dime to see a boat that doesn't work. The surveyor sends his least experienced person to see the boat? If the generator issue was something simple, why didn't the mechanic fix it?

There is something very wrong with that boat. Run away.
Wow.. you must be physic.. to diagnose the boat as previously sunk.. all the way from the west Coast.

It is a USED boat with low hours that has by the sound of it been taken fairly good care of.. if the Purchaser wants a PERFECT boat.. buy new.. then spend a year having the Builder fix all the issues.

If the genset ran.. produced AC, then shut down after 10 minutes it could be something as simple as a bad pressure switch.. the thing just needs to be fixed.. end of story. Open up the wiring panel AT the genset and look for minor corrosion.. it could be something as simple as that ( ours did the SAME thing when we bought the Ocean Alexander.. it was a faulty $25.00 oil presser sender )If there is major corrosion that is a different matter.

Re Shipping. There is a boat leaving here next week.. 40' X 12.5' triple diesel engined fully enclosed cabin passenger boat headed to N. Carolina.. the shipping cost was quoted as $ 8800.00 not including the loading/unloading.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #91
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Almost every electric powered AC unit out there will trip if you try to restart it within 2 minutes of a shutdown. Did the diesel guy wait before switching back to shore power?
You have the ultimate power to walk away but if your surveyor is competent, he should be feeding you the good, bad and ugly to make an informed decision.
The point is moot now.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:44 AM   #92

City: Ventura
Vessel Name: Tatanka
Vessel Model: 32' Nordic Tug
Wow! This thread has taken on a life of its own.
Well, I received my deposit back today from the brokerage.

What a strange experience this whole boat buying process has been.

The broker was a great guy, I liked him.
I just had a credibility issue with him.
After thinking about it today , the boat wasn't the reason I bailed. I loved it.

It was the process and all the stuff I kept getting fed that didn't make sense to me.
It put me on the defensive and made my gut feeling go on alert.

I could fill this forum up with all the things that I thought was unusual (to me)and caused me to proceed with caution during this whole process.

I did receive a text today ( finally) from the broker wanting to speak with me and I plan on calling him tomorrow.

Maybe he'll be receptive to a reduced offer or maybe he's just going to say "good luck".
Tunajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:48 AM   #93

here's the thru hull picture again along with one of the AC unit
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2641.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	32615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2639.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	32616  
Old 09-04-2014, 12:56 AM   #94
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunajoe View Post
here's the thru hull picture again along with one of the AC unit
I was under the impression it was a UNDERWATER thru hull.. not that big of a issue in my book..

Other that the ac not working correctly it doesn't appear to be a hack install, but the boat side of the ac terminal wiring could be a little cleaner.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:02 AM   #95
Guru

For any substantial transaction to succeed, parties have to be consistent and transparent. If 2 representations contradict, alarm bells sound. It has to all sit together. Once you distrust a buyer or seller on some aspect, you distrust them period. There can be times you disregard the spiv nature of the other party,when what you are buying is so clearly ok and a good deal, but that is the exception. If all is not lost, this seller should clear the air and float a revised offer.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:18 AM   #96

hers another shot of the AC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2640.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	32618  
Old 09-04-2014, 01:32 AM   #97
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quick, somebody show him the acs in most boats here. Our brains get rust and mold from just the humidity. Metal doesn't stand a chance. We also don't have any old Chryslers, or Fiats on the road either. They were long ago swept up with a whisk broom and a dust pan. Follow my advice on the pm to the letter, and you'll own that boat.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:34 AM   #98
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
Quick, somebody show him the acs in most boats here. Our brains get rust and mold from just the humidity. Metal doesn't stand a chance. We also don't have any old Chryslers, or Fiats on the road either. They were long ago swept up with a whisk broom and a dust pan. Follow my advice on the pm to the letter, and you'll own that boat.
Can you send me the pm as well?
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:47 AM   #99

City: Anacortes
That thru hull is a joke. Somebody literally tried to caulk it like a house. Not really sure that works on houses either, but definitely not on boats. Just means they have repairs being done by idiots.

Anyhow, my concern would not be the thru hull, or really the ac/gen assuming those get price negotiated. The massive red flag was the overloaded engine on a planing hull. I don't like to own engines that have been subjected to that kind of stress, as you have no way to quantify the impacts short of destructive testing, and neither can you take out the cumulative stress that has already been put in. I'd rather have an engine run easily, in case I ever inadvertently caused stress of my own doing. Best to have the clock closer to zero on the stress-O-meter.

Taken individually, none of these items would be the end of the world. Taken together, it paints the story of why this boat puts out a bad vibe. Clearly this boat suffered from owners that just did not know how to take care of boats, hence the wrong kind of low hours.

Trust your instincts.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:05 AM   #100

City: Edmonds
Hollywood8118, I posted an opinion. No need to criticize me or put me down. This boat appears to have electrical issues that have had money thrown their way and not fixed.

NTs are well made boats and should not have these issues with such low hours. A sunk boat can look like new, but saltwater damaged wiring can and will screw up new electrical systems. I have a friend who bought a Chris Craft / Uniflite sport fisher that had been sunk and completely rebuilt. He thought. They ended up spending nearly 50 grand fixing things. On a 120 K boat.

My opinion is this is not a great deal. This is a buyer's market and the OP will find a better deal closer to home. You have a different opinion? Good for you. No need to insult me. If you want to apologize or flame me, send a PM. Don't criticize people you don't know in a public forum.

Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote