What would it cost to land transport my trawler to California?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trader34

Veteran Member
My original plan was to leave California and spend some time on the east coast with this new trawler I bought (34 Marine Trader) but now my work demands are keeping me on the west coast. I really don't want to sell the boat and I am looking into having it trucked to Antioch California in the beautiful delta cruising grounds, and soon I will be listing it on Uship to get bids. I'm just a wondering what this will cost me,ballpark, the flying bridge is already removed for transport and the boat is in Baltimore. Anyone want to venture a guess or point me in a good direction? Thanks, I just don't want to have to wait until the new Panama canal competitor opens in Nicaragua in 2018..:D

Allowing for the possibility of having to remove the flying bridge and putting it back on, you may well be better off selling the boat and buying one in California. I'd recommend calling a few boat yards in Baltimore/Annapolis and getting their advice for shippers and what would have to be done to your particular boat .

I would recommend you find a more flexible job! Don't they know you have a boat you need to enjoy!!!!!

It cost me $10k to move my boat from Michigan to Fl (about 1100 miles) last year.

I shipped my 32' Nordic Tug last year from Ft. Lauderdale to Ventura CA
for around 10,500.

$10,000 would be my guess, excluding loading, unloading and reassembling the flybridge. It probably would be a lot cheaper to sell on the east coast and buy another on the west coast.

David

Flexible enough to get her to the western extreme of the Great Lakes or Gulf of Mexico?

Flexible enough to get her to the western extreme of the Great Lakes or Gulf of Mexico?

Or even better, I could motor to Tulsa, Oklahoma and have her hauled and shipped from there, I really do not want to sell this boat.

Also noticed that my boat sells for around 10k more on the west coast, so I would be hard pressed to find another one there for the same price.

I suppose I could just quit my job. :rolleyes:

The two best marine trucking companies in this area (but it's my understanding they cover the whole country) are Associated and Dudley. We used Associated to truck our 36 foot cabin cruiser from SFO Bay in CA to Puget Sound. The cost in 1998 including the pilot car and driver was just shy of $4,000.

The marine trucking companies use a special trailer that drops the forefoot of the hull almost to the pavement. This can allow a boat to be trucked without removing the flying bridge up to a certain point. They told us that the GB36 is the largest of the GB line that can be trucked on the west coast without having to remove the flying bridge. Removal and installation of the flying bridge can add considerably to the cost of shipping a boat.

Or even better, I could motor to Tulsa, Oklahoma and have her hauled and shipped from there, I really do not want to sell

If you're starting in Baltimore, that will be more expensive than trucking, though you do get a long boat ride in the bargain. Realistically somewhere on the gulf coast, like Houston would be cheaper with much better facilities than the long long slog to Tulsa.

Houston to Long Beach by land seems the sanest and easiest way to go, thanks!

Had a 34 MT trucked from New Orleans to so. Lake Michigan in 2013 for $3700. You've already removed the flybridge and that was the worst part of the trip for me! Did it myself and re-installed in Mich. If you can find a trucker making a back run, it can work out a LOT cheaper! Ben

Back
Top Bottom