Old 10-16-2019, 06:28 PM   #1

City: Puget Sound
What were they thinking.... Carpet in boats

If you can't tell I'm not too fond of carpet in boats... Up here in the great pacific nw where rain is a given, followed by mud and sand. that get tracked on and into carpets.... Add in oil, bilge water, incontinent pets, owners and guests. Then throw in beer, wine, other adult beverage, fish blood and you name it, the end result is the carpet looks like a Jackson Pollack painting... Why would boat builders think this stain, dirt and allergen collection medium would be acceptable to their customers ? It covers up poor craftsmanship of the builders and other flaws, is it that much harder to put in wood, vinyl, cork, or a myriad of other floor covering that aren't a dirt magnet and require a steam bath to clean. There is no question here just a rant

Ka_sea_ta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

City: Prescott, Arizona, USA
Carpet is cheap. That's why builders use it. Never understood wall to wall in a boat much less a trawler for the very reasons you cite.

Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #3

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Some days I can't stand having carpet on the boat, other days I don't mind it. It's a pain to keep clean, but it's comfy to walk on barefoot (which I am 90% of the time on the boat). And it does hide a few rarely used access hatches that aren't cut through the carpet (has to be folded back to lift those hatches). But I do periodically think about ripping it out and replacing with something else.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:39 PM   #4
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Our current boat has teak and holly sole everywhere. I wasnít sure how it would be, but we now love it. Simple to clean, especially the dog hair.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Prescott, Arizona, USA
I personally like area carpets but they can be vacuumed or stowed when doing something messy like cleaning and picking Dungies on the saloon table. But wall to wall, never!! Have no idea what sort of nasty animal life is lurking between weave and weft.
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:58 PM   #6

City: BREMERTON
Vessel Name: Dream Weaver
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander/Pilot House
I'm with the no carpet crowd. But the Admiral had me put down a number of non skid throw rugs so that the dogs with aging hips could get up by them selves without looking like Bambi on ice. Both dogs are dearly departed and so are most of the throw rugs. Got to keep the Admiral happy!
DW1979OA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:20 PM   #7
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Express Cruiser 1969
I am a no carpet sort of kind of guy. I'm the cold off season, get cold feet and put back in the carpet pieces for the various deck locations. During spring, summer and fall, no carpet.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:35 PM   #8

City: New York
The only thing worse than carpet on a boat is carpet in a bathroom on a boat.
Genecop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:56 PM   #9
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
We have carpet everywhere aboard except in the head, on the wall, on the floor, everywhere. We started to remove it and will replace all of it next year as it is a nightmare to maintain and a nest for allergens.

L
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:58 PM   #10

City: FL
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
Thumbs down

Builders use it to save money in homes all the time.

On a boat - I equate it with carpet in the bathroom
lipets is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #11
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Just a minute!
When we were in Turkey a few years ago, we bought some carpets. One was custom made for our boat: 18"x36" with a stylized trawler shape and our boat name woven in. I keep it below my feet at the helm.
Otherwise, I love my high gloss varnished teak parquet.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:47 PM   #12
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I donít think I would like a high gloss finish with our dog. The matte finish doesnít show scratches much.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:03 PM   #13
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I donít think I would like a high gloss finish with our dog. The matte finish doesnít show scratches much.
solution:
https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...9aACCFQ&adurl=
Old 10-16-2019, 09:28 PM   #14
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Sandpiper has teak floors throughout.

The only place it is exposed is in the pilothouse.

I don't like to walk on hard surfaces barefoot in the stateroom or to the head. Area rugs are a tripping possibility. The stateroom and hall have low pile commercial carpet on the floor, wall to wall but not fastened down. The head has an area rug, wall to wall that gets changed every two weeks.

In the salon, PO fastened lead sheets over the teak floor with a million tacks and covered it with carpet. I have the same low pile carpeting as the stateroom on the salon floor, not fastened down. The lead over the floor and the soundproofing I applied underneath the floor make it so quiet underway and withg enerator running that I've left the lead in place. Pulling all the tacks holding the lead in place, filling all the holes and refinishing the saloon floor is more work than I'm willing to do.

I have patterns for all the wall to wall carpet sections and can cut replacement carpet in a couple hours. I cut the carpeting with a hot knife to prevent unraveling without binding.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #15

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Another solution to dog floor scratches: https://www.amazon.com/QUMY-Waterpro...1275725&sr=8-2

Our poodle wears them whenever he's on the boat to keep him from sliding around on the decks. It took him a little bit to adjust to them, but now he hardly notices them. And if we pull them out at home, he gets super excited because he knows it's time to go to the boat.

On the floor finish subject, I've got a semi gloss finish on the teak parquet in my galley and heads. Everything else down below is carpet. My carpet padding is stapled down, as is the carpet on the engine hatch. The rest of the carpet is simply laid in place with tack strips around the edges, so replacing it is easy enough if a section gets damaged or worn or just won't clean up well anymore.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:54 PM   #16
Guru

We have teak parquetry everywhere on the floors, except in the shower and the head. We have a full length runner from the aft entry door of the saloon to where the steps down to head/shower/cabin start. It is rubber backed and stays in place, we cut it in to suit. We also have an edge trimmed carpet square(actually it`s oblong) to sit over the ER hatch etc area. When we leave the boat we usually roll these back as we like to raise the ER hatch at the opening side a couple of inches to let heat easily escape from the eutectic compressor unit.
Nothing wrong with carpets that are not fixed permanently in place but stay where they are unless removed for cleaning, doing work, etc.
Carpet, monkey or mouse fur style on walls, I rather not have.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:51 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I love my carpet, and here is why

First off itís quiet. Boats have a lot of sounds. Different pumps going off below decks, engines, etc... Carpet muffles the sound.

Second, carpet is ďstickyĒ . I know that some here boat on inside protected waters but I do not. I boat in the wide open ocean. With carpet my furniture stays put.

Third Carpet is relatively easy to change out. Get it stained, get it damaged, replace it. I have dark forest green right now. Perhaps next time Iíll go with a grey. One never knows. I bought a great grade of carpet last time. Cost me all of $1800 for the whole boat.

Fourth, carpet is forgiving. My boat has some uneven surfaces. These are not manufacturing defects, these are designed in. Carpet flows over these uneven surfaces like a champ. Try putting a hard flooring over a uneven surface and you will know exactly what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	099A6542-A2B6-4BEC-B827-57BBDD58E33D.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	95393  
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:56 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I'm into comfort boating.

I have cut-to-fit, easily removable carpet that's topped with soft area rugs. Below that is a soft-under-foot, sound-deadening carpet underlayment that's been a God-send called Soundown. My ears AND my feet are much happier these days.

I fish and cruise year round. These rugs have seen many a spilt beer, ice tea, coffee, dropped bait or bottle of wine and so far nothing stains.

You "woodie floor" guys don't know what you're missing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FW Rugs1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	95402  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:13 AM   #19
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
My last boat had wall to wall carpet every where except the kitchen/bathrooms. It keeps the boat warmer in winter and quieter. I even hat a white carpet, this made the boat much brighter in winter. The original owner didn’t want to pay for hardwoods and the builder did carpet to save him money. I had no issues with the carpet, I just replaced it in the fall every third year to keep things looking new. Carpet on a 42’ is so cheap you can replace it frequently with out busting the budget.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:26 AM   #20
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Kevin, post #17, saved me a bit of writing! I installed my carpet just over one year ago. Wish I had done it ten years ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0F921BCC-56C0-4CB8-BDCB-3249E0165265.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	95395  

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote