What were they thinking.... Carpet in boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Asian residence I have visited, no slippers, tile floors and they are cold too.

Inpolite asians.

I grew up in 1950's Japan where my father was stationed.

All the houses had straw mat floors, shoes were removed and slippers were always provided.

Asians lose their politeness in america.

Inpolite asians.

I grew up in 1950's Japan where my father was stationed.

All the houses had straw mat floors, shoes were removed and slippers were always provided.

Asians lose their politeness in america.

My experience is limited to Vietnamese a couple of homes in the US.

Asians are polite people. They provide slippers for guests to wear in the house.

The people who insist on guests taking shoes off in their boat or home do not provide slippers. They expect guests to soil their feet or socks walking shoeless.

Most of the houses I've been invited into where they ask that I remove my shoes had cleaner floors than my "clean" socks!

If I see a nice neat shoe rack by the door, and the host is wearing slippers or socks, as a matter of courtesy, I will ask if they would prefer me to remove my shoes. :thumb: After all, I am a GUEST in their home.:D

Most of the houses I've been invited into where they ask that I remove my shoes had cleaner floors than my "clean" socks!

If I see a nice neat shoe rack by the door, and the host is wearing slippers or socks, as a matter of courtesy, I will ask if they would prefer me to remove my shoes. :thumb: After all, I am a GUEST in their home.:D

Well said. Wearing outdoor shoes in a home is disgusting and I am one who never wears shoes on my boat or someone else's boat. Nothing worse than someone tromping on my Awlgrip decks with their dirty shoes! :nonono:

I had a large commercial grade outdoor entrance mat with thick rubber backing custom cut by "The Mad Hatter" for my wheel house (even has my boat's logo imprinted). It provides noise insulation and resists water/stains.

rugs.jpg

We have rugs in our boat. In the winter.
Right now rugs are in front hallway on their way back to the boat.
Might look familiar to Costco folks, yep, $9.99 apiece.
We cut them with scissors to fit around the pole.
When they get too dirty (or we just want to change the look, because at $9.99 apiece we can do that) we buy new ones.

Not wearing [outside] footwear in the home is common practice in Hawai'i. It is a respect of tradition learned from the Asian community and then practiced by everyone. We continue that tradition in the "mainland", too. No outside footwear in our home! Our floors are wood/tile and I guarantee, are cleaner than the bottom of your shoes. I have removed all the carpeting in our home, except one room. That one room will probably remain until we get ready to sell.

In fact, we don't wear our outside shoes et al on our boat either. They are taken off and left in the cockpit. We just walk around barefoot. In the winter we have socks on.

Think of where you step/walk, outside, on a daily basis and what you step in...do you really want to introduce that into your home? :nonono:

Last edited:

Are these hosts providing slippers for guests? As a matter or courtesy.

You are a guest in their home and it would be impolite of the hosts to be wearing slippers and the guests not.

I don't have a problem taking my shoes off in others people's homes, but I do not like walking barefoot or in socks. I've stepped on small things, stubbed my toe and have had people step on my toes while shoeless in homes and boats. Boats are extra bad because of the confined spaces.

I don't know very many people with a no shoe policy for sanitary reasons. Most people have a no shoe policy because they don't want the wood floor scratched or new carpets soiled.

High heels can be a killer on wood floors.

I would have expected that comment from Wifey B!:D

Wifey B: He must be buying cheap sheets as I've never ripped any with heels, not even with stilettos. :rofl:

As to discomfort with heels, I recognize not the most healthy option but I've worn them so much and so long, I'm not at all uncomfortable with them. Today, I wear them less often as I wear casual clothes more. I do still wear them out though. Fancy restaurant always gets them and that's true with most of my friends. Many of us wear them to the office as well. That said, I would never require someone wear them. People should wear what they find comfortable. :)

When I was a kid my mom didn't like bare feet in the house. She said that the sweat and oils from your feet over time were just a bad as normal dirty shoes from outside (not counting snow, rain, and mud).

When I was a kid my mom didn't like bare feet in the house. She said that the sweat and oils from your feet over time were just a bad as normal dirty shoes from outside (not counting snow, rain, and mud).

Mom said, take your shoes off at the door!!!

Have boat-builder's rugs on my boat, covering beautiful wooden floors. Still make use of of the rugs, but cover up worst black marks with throw rugs resulting from diesel soot tracked in when receiving the boat after a transatlantic voyage on a container ship. Hopefully, the boat's next owner will appreciate.

Last edited:
I wear socks in my house. Would prefer visitors removed their shoes, but don't ask/insist they do. With carpets and socks, one's feet shouldn't be cold. ... Often remove shoes on the boat if not expecting to go on deck: more toe wiggle-room and less humidity.

I agree with your mom 100%

Ethylene glycol coolant definitely can burn. It's not particularly easy to ignite (usually requires the coolant being very hot first, such as Steve's exhaust example). But it is possible.

What % ethylene glycol to % water could/would burn? I could see eg pure at correct temp igniting... but ... when mixed , let say 50/50, with water??

Originally Posted by ssobol View Post

I agree with your mom 100%

Agreed!

Additionally... some people, especially those with age, have shoes and inserts inside shoes that assist their feet for continued structural [bone/toe] alignments as well as general comfort. In other words... some people need their shoes on. :popcorn:

Agreed!

Additionally... some people, especially those with age, have shoes and inserts inside shoes that assist their feet for continued structural [bone/toe] alignments as well as general comfort. In other words... some people need their shoes on. :popcorn:

I agree with this too.

Agreed!

Perhaps their feet issues are partially from wearing shoes all the time. When I get home from work, the first thing that comes off are my shoes! I can't imagine wearing shoes all day--how uncomfortable. No wonder why people have feet problems!

I don't want shoes that have been in a filthy public restroom, outside in the dirt, on dog poop, with gum stuck on them, etc. on my house's clean floors or my boat's decks! Yuk! And you may have hygiene issues if your outdoor shoes are cleaner than your socks or bare feet. To each their own though!

Perhaps their feet issues are partially from wearing shoes all the time. When I get home from work, the first thing that comes off are my shoes! I can't imagine wearing shoes all day--how uncomfortable. No wonder why people have feet problems!

I don't want shoes that have been in a filthy public restroom, outside in the dirt, on dog poop, with gum stuck on them, etc. on my house's clean floors or my boat's decks! Yuk! And you may have hygiene issues if your outdoor shoes are cleaner than your socks or bare feet. To each their own though!

:thumb:

I take my shoes off when home and on the boat. I do wear slippers. Lot more comfortable than wearing shoes or walking barefoot or with socks.

And by wearing slippers I'm not smearing the sweat, toe jam and fungus from my feet onto the floor.

Those ugly “Crocs” make good, in-house footwear. Just don’t wear them outside.

This:
I don't want shoes that have been in a filthy public restroom, outside in the dirt, on dog poop, with gum stuck on them, etc. on my house's clean floors or my boat's decks! Yuk! And you may have hygiene issues if your outdoor shoes are cleaner than your socks or bare feet.
. :thumb:

What % ethylene glycol to % water could/would burn? I could see eg pure at correct temp igniting... but ... when mixed , let say 50/50, with water??

In my example it was a 50/50 mix, no one uses, or should use, 100% EG (pre-mix already has water added). I'm no physicist, however, I suspect as soon as the mixture hit the hot exhaust the water component evaporated, leaving behind a high concentration of EG.

(Attending and lecturing at the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show)

In my example it was a 50/50 mix, no one uses, or should use, 100% EG (pre-mix already has water added). I'm no physicist, however, I suspect as soon as the mixture hit the hot exhaust the water component evaporated, leaving behind a high concentration of EG.

(Attending and lecturing at the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show)

Perhaps!

Back
Top Bottom