Old 12-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #21

RE: What we want/got

The Admiral & I are well adjusted adults (at times) and with that in mind we searched for the perfect boat. One that drinks six, feeds four and sleeps two.

El Sea
1976 44' Thompson-Suite 44
St Petersburg, Florida

"It's the voyage, not the vessel"

El Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:16 PM   #22
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

We have looked at buying a motor bike, but our summer is only the month of August, some years 1/2 of August.*)-; *The other 11 months it would be have to be stored.* Actaully if we do start crusing we will buy a motor scooter to take with us.* Has to be under 400*lbs to lift onto the roof.* * **

Many of you know my wife bought the Eagle which changed our lives, and the reason we are still a live aboard. (-; As it turns out she knew a lot more about boat using her intuition and feeling than I did.* )-;* After looking a hundred of boats she just knew.*
The Eagle is way bigger and more of a boat than what we started out looking for. Certainly way beyond my comfort zone to take out just for fun, but makes a great live aboard, party, cruise boat* However, next time I am going to draw the line/stand my ground on the boat, unless my wife tell me other wise.* (-; If there is a next boat, but that will not be for another 3 to 7 years.* *

I have given the next boat some thought and will be semi custom/modified. Most things I have owned have been custom/modified.* The next boat will be under 40 ft trailer able, twin diesel engines, twin keel to protect the props, have a bow and stern thruster, be semi displacement capable of 20+ MPH, with plenty of creature comforts.* Trailer to the area, dump it in, when done put it back on the trailer, and store it until next time.* FF, keeps talking about a container boat which this boat could be but would be 12 ft wide which can still be shipped on a flat rack container. Designed so it can be taken out of the water, set on the rack, have pre cable hold down points to make it simple and easy requiring no special hold down, blocking and/or bracing.

Right now I still have plans to added twin bilge keels and maybe a bulbous bow to the Eagle so the Eagle can be ground and reduce some of the roll.* I have this re occurring dream that I intention ground the Eagle but with the twin keels and bulbous bow there is no damage.* Actually I have soft grounded the Eagle 3 times, so maybe its not a dream?* )-;* *********

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:32 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Quote:
FF wrote:

"I would much rather have a 16 knot planing hull with lots of power but I could not afford the fuel burn. I guess I will have to be content with plugging along and spending hours at sea to get anywhere. In my case, getting there is not half the fun.
P.S. Hate the brightwork!

Well IF you can give up mere volume for volumes sake we are testing for 5nmpg at 18K , as THE design goal.

The interior will be both painted ply , and some hi tech very lightweight structure.Nothing varnished .

You will also need to accept the sailboat concept of space/volume being used for more than one purpose.

EG the shower area may do double duty as an oilskin locker at times.

Slow to the trawler krawl of 10K , and 10nmpg seems possible.(on a computer anyway).

FF
I got 16kts at 5gph in my production boat...not too shabby.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:30 PM   #24

What we want/got

My last bike was a 1937 Indian hard tail frame with a 1964 HD 74 engine and tranny. Suicide clutch and a Casta Blanca beer stein handle for a shift stick. Chopped and channeled with the springer front fork extended 10 inches. Lucky to have a buddy who worked nights in a chroming plant. Lots of chrome on my bike, including chain link handle and sissy bars. Only problem was the seat was a tight squeeze for two. On second thought, at the age of 18,that wasn't a problem at all.

Spoke to the Admiral several times about buying another bike. She says I made my choice. Bike or kids, can't have both. I pointed out that the younger kid is now 28. She said it didn't matter, only get to choose once and it's permanent.

The boat is a 42' North Pacific, one stateroom, one head, one office, and is a live aboard. Once we got used to the restricted areas of movement, it's great. When I am out of town, I can't wait to get back. Finding I don't sleep well on land. Drinks 6, feeds four, and sleeps 2.

With a 380 Cummins, she does 7-8 knots at 1500 rpms, burning 2.3 gph.

After 35 years in DC, I am more than ready to spend my time at 7 knots.

Donnie Young
Cloud IX
NP42
North Pacific Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:30 AM   #25
FF
Guru

What we want/got

"Certainly way beyond my comfort zone to take out just for fun, but makes a great live aboard, party, cruise boat "

Instead of butchering the boat , why not take a hands on course , or hire a boat driver to come aboard for a couple of days of actual Skooling?

Would get you over the fear factor , although the other big hassle ,

a liveaboard takes a long time to go from cottage condition to RFS (ready for sea)will still be a pain.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:18 AM   #26

Sea Ranger 47 Pilothouse. Wanted it for ten years, got it last October. Like KMA we've struggled with new-owner maintenance issues but overall very pleased with the design and functionality. It's our summer home/Northwest cruiser perfect for escaping the Arizona desert.

The pilothouse results in lots of steps but also provides a serious place to drive the boat while guests enjoy life in the saloon, cockpit, flybridge or boat-deck. Another bonus is the 6'6" headroom in the master berth and tub (which Admiral likes a lot).* Full walk around decks, high bulwarks, five boarding stations on two different levels, new electronics and old, reliable Lehman engines. Fuel enough for Alaska, a genset and watermaker, washer/dryer, and a really good stereo complete the package.

What would I do differently? Not much, but I would definitely hire a team of surveyors for my next boat (if ever): General marine surveyor to look at the whole boat, an engine man to assess the holy place, and an electrician to assess that system. Most of our problems have been electrical due to the '86 Taiwan system trying to power today's bells and whistles. Most resolved now, but the fun never ends!
GeorgeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:18 PM   #27
Veteran Member

What we want/got

Why was my motorcycle photo removed but Capnwill's is ok?
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:15 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

Quote:
Gene wrote:

Why was my motorcycle photo removed but Capnwill's is ok?
Gene, it was not due to editing on our part.* You might wanna try posting it again!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:23 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Oh, I apologize for assuming. I posted it and then looked at the posting and it was there. The next day it was gone. I thought it was removed for not being a "boat related" photo.

Thank you for the reply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gener1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	339  
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:05 PM   #30
Enigma

City: Slicker?
What we want/got

I don't think Gene your photo was removed because it wasn't boat related it was probably that you were going so fast, you simply dissapeared and the photo removed itself.

RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote