In what universe is an anchor light red

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Except the mention of a blue light in post 1....

Plus you have to be a huge sailboat to need aircraft warning lights.

.................. There are many places where there are airports in close proximity to anchorages... really big sailboats also use a all around red as that is what pilots look for.. not white lights that tend to get lost in the background lighting when viewed from above.

As I posted above, ignoring the COLREGS and making up their own laws. :eek:

I know some boats that are tall enough that they showed anti collision lights while at the mega dock in Charleston...and yes they have anchor lights when appropriate.

Sailboats that big usually have professional crews that are well aware of the Colregs and many other rules that govern vessels of that size.

Just returned from a SunSail charter cruise in the BVI last week. I believe in one anchorage I remember seeing a red masthead light mixed with a harbor full of white ones. I figured maybe his white light was inoperative. Maybe he was just an idiot.

Except the mention of a blue light in post 1....

Plus you have to be a huge sailboat to need aircraft warning lights.

What he said. ^ :thumb:

You don't often see the really big sailboats in the Bahamas. It's a draft thing.

As I posted above, ignoring the COLREGS and making up their own laws. :eek:

Clearly you have not been in the anchorages I am referring to, nor did I say they did not also show an all around white light if anchored. Most of the boats I am referring to with the big red light atop their 150'+ mast(s) are on docks... the rich wish to walk down their $ 50k passerelle's onto a dock... who needs to anchor.. that is for us poor folk
:dance:
HOLLYWOOD

Red over white--fishing tonight.
Red over red--captain is dead (vessel is not under command).

This isn't a Canadian thing, it's a status thing. It's an aircraft avoidance light, has nothing to do with Colregs, and everything to do with being the most impressive vessel in the anchorage. So impressive, in fact that it merits aircraft avoidance lighting. Besides, you never know when your charter seaplane will approach to drop off the kids and fresh baguettes.

They're not for the little people. You can only aspire to such lofty ambitions.

When we arrived in Newport one moonless night to depart for Bermuda the next morning, I was wondering what the incredibly tall red light outside my berth's window was. The next morning I could see it was the 1930s J-boat Shamrock with its 160 +/- foot mast. Sometimes they really are the most impressive vessels in the anchorage.

One night in Cayo Costa there were two power boats with flashing white lights. Not strobes, but 1/2 second on, 2 or 3 seconds off. I can't remember anything like it in the Nav Rules.
Anything in the Regs prohibiting a flashing anchor light? It could be more easily seen. But, as the light is "off" for periods, in those periods the boat is not displaying a light at all, which is non compliance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom