What type of Long Range Vessel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wayne-c

I wanted to get others opinion. I am a MN guy that is moving from the river, selling my Carver 350 Mariner. My plan is to sell my house, and most everything and purchase a 50' range long range yacht to port out of San Diego and cruise long range. I want to be able to go from Cabos or Costa Rica to Alaska and hopefully some day go through the canal and into the Bahamas area. Oh I should also add, that I need to be able to operate this by myself as I will not have a crew or others with me.

I am currently looking at the Ocean Alexander 52' as well as a Mikelson 50'. I have looked at the Nordhavens, Selene and Flemmings - all pretty much out of my price range (I have about a 250-300k budget), not to mention since this will also be my home, I need the interior to be somewhat luxurious as well.

I have heard the Navigators, Bayliners and Meridians are all pretty "light" boats. I want something very safe and reliable. I do not know anything about McKinna's - anyone have any knowledge?

Looking for any opinions - if there are others that have done what I am embarking upon.

Thanks
Wayne

Welcome to the forum! Do you have experience single handing vessels larger than your present boat? If not, you might want to consider chartering some vessels in the size you may be considering. What you described is essentially coastal cruising. Nothing wrong with a blue water boat or a passage maker for that purpose, but you may trade some of your desired luxury for offshore capability. Lots to consider; enjoy your search!

Ted

Last edited:
I have had a little, but plan to have a teaching captain assist to get my feet under me on the upgraded size. I have been researching for a while now, hard to tell which boats are solid passage makers vs. light weekend warriors. Any good way to tell by a listing?

If single handling and living you should find a 40-43 foot boat plenty. That will allow you to perhaps go a bit younger in age.
Also, how good a mechanic are you? The rule of thumb for annual maintenance is 10% of the cost of the boat. Of course this is very variable based on age of vessel and how well it was maintained. As well as how much of the work you will be doing yourself.
Good luck in your search, and remember, get a survey!!

AS you wish to go offshore , most common boats will have a hard time being strong enough.

Something like one of the old Gulfstars (sail boat hull) should fit the bill .

Of course it will be smaller than many boats , mostly because you live IN the boat , not ON the boat , but the modest size is large enough for full time liveaboard .

Good hunting.

I would stick with your plan of a 50 something, my experience is when living on a vessel for an extended time cruising and on anchor , vessels quickly become small.
Also if organised and having a good understanding of how your vessel is affected by wind age and current you should easily be able to handle it on your own, confidence will come very quickly and you feel like you are handling it like a dinghy very soon. Just take it slowly and when manouvouring in close quarters go gently and if you can't quite get it right abort the manouvouring , regroup and have another crack making the required adjustments.

Good luck

Cheers Chris D Liberty

One simple way to determine the design differences between the weekend getaway boat and the long range cruising vessel is the water and fuel tank capacities. If a vessel only has fuel for a weekend don't expect it to be designed as a long range cruiser, no matter what the broker says.
I have found my 50' boat to be easily managed as a single handed vessel.

I wanted to get others opinion. I am a MN guy that is moving from the river, selling my Carver 350 Mariner. My plan is to sell my house, and most everything and purchase a 50' range long range yacht to port out of San Diego and cruise long range. I want to be able to go from Cabos or Costa Rica to Alaska and hopefully some day go through the canal and into the Bahamas area. Oh I should also add, that I need to be able to operate this by myself as I will not have a crew or others with me.

I am currently looking at the Ocean Alexander 52' as well as a Mikelson 50'. I have looked at the Nordhavens, Selene and Flemmings - all pretty much out of my price range (I have about a 250-300k budget), not to mention since this will also be my home, I need the interior to be somewhat luxurious as well.

I have heard the Navigators, Bayliners and Meridians are all pretty "light" boats. I want something very safe and reliable. I do not know anything about McKinna's - anyone have any knowledge?

Looking for any opinions - if there are others that have done what I am embarking upon.

Thanks
Wayne

You may want to consider a Hatteras 48LRC. Long range and is a blue water boat.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Capt. Don

I'd have to go along with the Hatt LRC as well. The 42 would do it but the 48 would give you a bit more luxury.

If I were buying a new boat, in that price range I would probably buy either a Hatteras 48 LRC, or a 49 Defever RPH. For that money you can get pretty much the cream of the crop in those models.

If you wanted to expand your territory a bit you can shop around and pick up up the early 47 Nordhavn's in the 300K price range.

I suggest you spend some time researching the differences in lifestyles provided by a 55ft boat and a 42 ft boat.

The larger boats have advantages, especially if you are cruising up and down the west coast or going to the South Pacific. However, everything on a boat is a compromise. Larger boats cost more to maintain, moor and store. You will also find that on the east coast a 55ft+ vessel will put you out of the mainstream of cruisers in the transient docks and many anchorages. The social aspect of cruising is important to many of us and the larger boats seem to be on the margins in this aspect.

Anyway just something to think about.

If I were buying a new boat, in that price range I would probably buy either a Hatteras 48 LRC, or a 49 Defever RPH. For that money you can get pretty much the cream of the crop in those models.

If you wanted to expand your territory a bit you can shop around and pick up up the early 47 Nordhavn's in the 300K price range.

Really, what currency are we talking about here?

The N47 are all ~2003 and younger and will cost in the range of $700K - $1.3.

I know this is not the right forum, but a 50' sailboat would be able to do the journey you are suggesting and within the budget, just a thought.

Maybe Kevin meant the Nordhavn 46. The earliest of those might hit his upper range price.

I can confirm that a 50'+ boat can be single handed. I am single handing my 54' Krogen all the time. Just got back yesterday from a 170 mile round trip for the long weekend.

Richard

Sorry, typo...

Nordhavn 46

There's a nice 42 LRC across from me today in Port Townsend (not for sale AFAIK):
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441724358.852802.jpg

First off, thanks to everyone for the opinions and comments thus far. I should add that I will be giving up a very luxurious home in the midwest, which i understand and I am committed to the lifestyle of living aboard. I know that the accommodations inside and outside deck areas need to be able to sustain my desire to live there. So this seems to be my challenge on trying to get something that has outdoor space (love a large cockpit) or upper flybridge area I can sit and relax along with a stunning interior to be proud of, all wrapped up in a very safe boat that i can rely on.

What are some of the longest hops people have to travel to between fuel and provisions along the way?

Keeping in mind your specs, here is my offering. I see these MK IIs cruising the waters of SE Alaska quite often and talking with their owners (male & female) their comments almost always coincide.

Ocean Alexander MK II 50' They love them!

Attachments

• OA 50 MK II.jpg
    OA 50 MK II.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 69
"I know that the accommodations inside and outside deck areas need to be able to sustain my desire to live there."

Your butt is only so,big , a very comfortable series of places to enjoy , does not require a roomaran.

Smaller means fewer times tossed across the cabin.

One of out intrepid folks talks of 50K winds and 25 ft seas.

That is enough to pick up the vessel and toss it from wave top to trough .

The reason for a small PH with small glass to wonder about.

First off, thanks to everyone for the opinions and comments thus far. I should add that I will be giving up a very luxurious home in the midwest, which i understand and I am committed to the lifestyle of living aboard. I know that the accommodations inside and outside deck areas need to be able to sustain my desire to live there. So this seems to be my challenge on trying to get something that has outdoor space (love a large cockpit) or upper flybridge area I can sit and relax along with a stunning interior to be proud of, all wrapped up in a very safe boat that i can rely on.

What are some of the longest hops people have to travel to between fuel and provisions along the way?

As far as I know for Coastal Cruising the furthest places in North America for fuel are:

Turtle Bay Baja to Cabo Baja at something just over 400NM, BUT fuel is available 1/2 way there at Mag Bay.

Yakutat Alaska to Seward Alaska at 310 NM or Yakutat Alaska to either Whittier, or Cordova Alaska at 260NM.

I have not found anywhere in North America that is over 160NM where you could not safely sit out bad weather.

For a long range and good live a board, it should have large fuel, water capacity, sanitation, storage and adiquate heat other than ac electric, because of the weight most boats you will bring looking at are full or heavy semi displacement. Not many goat that will fit you budget and requirements.

As for single handling the size of the boat depends on how the boat handles, equipped and you. I can single hand the Eagles, as she has all the electronics, auto pilot, capacity and creature comforts, tank capacity and back up. Being a live aboard reqires a capable boat even if you do not cruise. You will be a live aboard 100% of the time and cruising a lesser % of the time.

For a long range and good live a board, it should have large fuel, water capacity, sanitation, storage and adiquate heat other than ac electric, because of the weight most boats you will bring looking at are full or heavy semi displacement. Not many goat that will fit you budget and requirements.

As for single handling the size of the boat depends on how the boat handles, equipped and you. I can single hand the Eagles, as she has all the electronics, auto pilot, capacity and creature comforts, tank capacity and back up. Being a live aboard reqires a capable boat even if you do not cruise. You will be a live aboard 100% of the time and cruising a lesser % of the time.

Yep. That makes sense to me too.
i wrote a different post, but it disappeared (i hope).
In any case, with your stated budget you should check out the Kadey Krogen 42.
Not only is it one of the most efficient boats out there at that size, but it will give you the range you want as well as the interior space.

Lastly, as one who has single handed over too many miles, it's ans easy boat to single hand.

But then I think the Krogen is easy on everything, even rolling:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom