Old 09-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #21
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
There's a nice 42 LRC across from me today in Port Townsend (not for sale AFAIK):
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1441724358.852802.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	44259

Old 09-08-2015, 11:03 AM   #22

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
"(I have about a 250-300k budget)"
NOTE: The price on this Diesel Duck has been reduced since this video was posted on youtube.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:34 AM   #23

City: Rochester
First off, thanks to everyone for the opinions and comments thus far. I should add that I will be giving up a very luxurious home in the midwest, which i understand and I am committed to the lifestyle of living aboard. I know that the accommodations inside and outside deck areas need to be able to sustain my desire to live there. So this seems to be my challenge on trying to get something that has outdoor space (love a large cockpit) or upper flybridge area I can sit and relax along with a stunning interior to be proud of, all wrapped up in a very safe boat that i can rely on.

What are some of the longest hops people have to travel to between fuel and provisions along the way?
wayne-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #24

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne-c View Post

What are some of the longest hops people have to travel to between fuel and provisions along the way?
As I type this there is a Norhavn 52 (http://mvdirona.com) half way through its passage from Australia to Rodrigues which, if my memory serves me correctly, is just over 3000 nm.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
As I type this there is a Norhavn 52 (MV Dirona) half way through its passage from Australia to Rodrigues which, if my memory serves me correctly, is just over 3000 nm.

Thanks I love following peoples story and journey like this!
Old 09-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #26
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Keeping in mind your specs, here is my offering. I see these MK IIs cruising the waters of SE Alaska quite often and talking with their owners (male & female) their comments almost always coincide.

Ocean Alexander MK II 50' They love them!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OA 50 MK II.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	44262  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:02 PM   #27
FF
Guru

"I know that the accommodations inside and outside deck areas need to be able to sustain my desire to live there."

Your butt is only so,big , a very comfortable series of places to enjoy , does not require a roomaran.

Smaller means fewer times tossed across the cabin.

One of out intrepid folks talks of 50K winds and 25 ft seas.

That is enough to pick up the vessel and toss it from wave top to trough .

The reason for a small PH with small glass to wonder about.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
First off, thanks to everyone for the opinions and comments thus far. I should add that I will be giving up a very luxurious home in the midwest, which i understand and I am committed to the lifestyle of living aboard. I know that the accommodations inside and outside deck areas need to be able to sustain my desire to live there. So this seems to be my challenge on trying to get something that has outdoor space (love a large cockpit) or upper flybridge area I can sit and relax along with a stunning interior to be proud of, all wrapped up in a very safe boat that i can rely on.

As far as I know for Coastal Cruising the furthest places in North America for fuel are:

Turtle Bay Baja to Cabo Baja at something just over 400NM, BUT fuel is available 1/2 way there at Mag Bay.

Yakutat Alaska to Seward Alaska at 310 NM or Yakutat Alaska to either Whittier, or Cordova Alaska at 260NM.

I have not found anywhere in North America that is over 160NM where you could not safely sit out bad weather.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:33 PM   #29
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
For a long range and good live a board, it should have large fuel, water capacity, sanitation, storage and adiquate heat other than ac electric, because of the weight most boats you will bring looking at are full or heavy semi displacement. Not many goat that will fit you budget and requirements.

As for single handling the size of the boat depends on how the boat handles, equipped and you. I can single hand the Eagles, as she has all the electronics, auto pilot, capacity and creature comforts, tank capacity and back up. Being a live aboard reqires a capable boat even if you do not cruise. You will be a live aboard 100% of the time and cruising a lesser % of the time.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:05 PM   #30
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
For a long range and good live a board, it should have large fuel, water capacity, sanitation, storage and adiquate heat other than ac electric, because of the weight most boats you will bring looking at are full or heavy semi displacement. Not many goat that will fit you budget and requirements.

As for single handling the size of the boat depends on how the boat handles, equipped and you. I can single hand the Eagles, as she has all the electronics, auto pilot, capacity and creature comforts, tank capacity and back up. Being a live aboard reqires a capable boat even if you do not cruise. You will be a live aboard 100% of the time and cruising a lesser % of the time.
Yep. That makes sense to me too.
i wrote a different post, but it disappeared (i hope).
In any case, with your stated budget you should check out the Kadey Krogen 42.
Not only is it one of the most efficient boats out there at that size, but it will give you the range you want as well as the interior space.

Lastly, as one who has single handed over too many miles, it's ans easy boat to single hand.

But then I think the Krogen is easy on everything, even rolling
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #31
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
As far as I know for Coastal Cruising the furthest places in North America for fuel are:

Turtle Bay Baja to Cabo Baja at something just over 400NM, BUT fuel is available 1/2 way there at Mag Bay.

Yakutat Alaska to Seward Alaska at 310 NM or Yakutat Alaska to either Whittier, or Cordova Alaska at 260NM.

I have not found anywhere in North America that is over 160NM where you could not safely sit out bad weather.
In and from Alaska our longest legs were Kodiak to Sitka and Sitka to Port Angeles but those both could have been avoided. The longest we found no way around, and perhaps someone else has, was Ensenada to Cabo San Lucas. If I recall correctly, that's about 680 nm. There may be a way to get fuel by truck in between. We didn't need it so didn't research it.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
I wanted to get others opinion. I am a MN guy that is moving from the river, selling my Carver 350 Mariner. My plan is to sell my house, and most everything and purchase a 50' range long range yacht to port out of San Diego and cruise long range. I want to be able to go from Cabos or Costa Rica to Alaska and hopefully some day go through the canal and into the Bahamas area. Oh I should also add, that I need to be able to operate this by myself as I will not have a crew or others with me.
I think to this point your plan is great. I've not quoted the part about specific boats because I think you need to do a bit more first. I'd recommend a charter or two of boats in the 50' range. They may not be the brand you're considering but the way to see what you like and don't like about them as boats and as homes.

I think most 50' boats are fairly easy to single hand. Just make sure access is good. Side decks become more important in single handing.

One of the biggest questions is going to be speed vs. economy. You need to determine (chartering will help) what speeds you're comfortable with. Now, as to brands, I think the one's you're looking at merit consideration. My personal choice for an older boat generally is Hatteras. But there are many other good boats. If the speed or lack of is ok with you then many full displacement boats come into play. If not, then you'll need a sea worthy semi-displacement (or semi-planing) boat.

I agree on the value of space as a live aboard. I'd absolutely want a nice aft deck and a flybridge. However, you spend more time than you may think indoors so it's all important. How much you cook will certainly influence you.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:45 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
In and from Alaska our longest legs were Kodiak to Sitka and Sitka to Port Angeles but those both could have been avoided. The longest we found no way around, and perhaps someone else has, was Ensenada to Cabo San Lucas. If I recall correctly, that's about 680 nm. There may be a way to get fuel by truck in between. We didn't need it so didn't research it.
Turtle Bay has fuel, as well as Mag Bay.

Furthest place in North America is crossing the Gulf of Alaska. 260NM
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:33 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Turtle Bay has fuel, as well as Mag Bay.

Furthest place in North America is crossing the Gulf of Alaska. 260NM
Thanks for the information. Not pertaining to the coastal discussion but for those cruising rivers the lower Mississippi has 382 miles between Memphis and the ICW.

I just located the fuel at Turtle Bay. Is Magdalena Bay by truck or a marina or fuel dock I can't find. Not questioning you at all, just trying to update my knowledge.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:00 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Longest distance is not the sole factor. You may face headwinds or may be required to divert. Also I have seen where the expected fuel stop was out of fuel or not operating.

In North America almost any trawler would make the distances involved.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #36
Guru

City: Gulf Shores, Ala.
Vessel Name: Ulysses
Vessel Model: Romsdal 1963
It is true that there are about 382 miles between Memphis and the ICW but fuel is available in Natchez, Vicksburg, and Red Stick, to name a few. I went from Gulf Shores, Ala. to Belize and back (2,500 n.m.) without the need to refuel although it was available in Mex. and Belize.
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:10 AM   #37
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Pelican View Post
I suggest you spend some time researching the differences in lifestyles provided by a 55ft boat and a 42 ft boat.

The larger boats have advantages, especially if you are cruising up and down the west coast or going to the South Pacific. However, everything on a boat is a compromise. Larger boats cost more to maintain, moor and store. You will also find that on the east coast a 55ft+ vessel will put you out of the mainstream of cruisers in the transient docks and many anchorages. The social aspect of cruising is important to many of us and the larger boats seem to be on the margins in this aspect.

Anyway just something to think about.

Building on this thought (and from a conversation we've had here on our docks), the folks here who make up the Fleming fleet... for example... don't wander across the Bay on the spur of the moment just to have steamed crabs for lunch at the local watering holes.

We can do that routinely, with only a few of the nearby dock restaurants kind of off-limits because of dock space or shallow water. (Could anchor and dinghy in, of course, but that's turning into work, just for a meal.)

Anyway, just some additional thoughts about defining the mission...

-Chris
Old 09-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #38
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
With the cruising intentions the OP has stated, range is indeed important. He already has owned a sort range Carver and is now wanting to be free of the fuel docks in third world countries.

Many boats have been built and designed for this mission. As already suggested, many brands fit the bill. As he considers Buehler, Haterras, OA, DeFever , KK or Nordhavn the ability to remain away from a fuel dock for a month or more is desirable.

Small current engines in good shape with demonstrated TLC are a big part of the range equation. A big and workable ER combined with voluminous storage throughout is a must have for the serious cruiser. Something in the 50 range may well have double the living and storage space as a 40 footer.

Good luck, many have done what you desire with slow, comfortable and well tended vessels
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #39

Does anyone know anything about the McKinna's 57' pilothouse?

1999 McKinna 57' Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

This looks like a gorgeous boat that appears to have features for long range cruising.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:24 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Does anyone know anything about the McKinna's 57' pilothouse?

1999 McKinna 57' Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

This looks like a gorgeous boat that appears to have features for long range cruising.
That's a lot of boat but I'm not sure for how long a range with only 850 gallons. of fuel You'd have to up the anchor with only a 65 lb plow type and 200' of chain.

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying a vessel, long range