Wheatley, ON., Canada
N0P 2P0
Phone: 519-825-4691

Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #22

City: New Minas, NS
Vessel Name: Hornblower Too
Vessel Model: CHB 42 Oceania
Excellent responses! Thank you. There are so many I would not have even thought about without this input.
I know "Wellington" was associated with Californians for a while. Does the Wellington name by itself imply U.S. built?
Cworthy
"Boatless in NS"

cworthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #23

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Cworthy your original post mentioned "MONK" as built in Nova Scotia. Actually a MONK could be built by many different builders in different countries as they are boats designed by Ed Monk rather than built by him.
Herte is a picture of a 40' "Monk" that was built in Taiwan that I sold around five years ago.

You are right about the import duty on boats that were not built in the USA or Canada. However if you find a boat built in Taiwan or elsewhere that has already been imported into Canada there is no addtional import duty.
Attached Images

yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #24

I should clarify some of the questions that have been posted.

I'm looking for a used trawler in the under $90K range probably between 35 & 42 feet. I realize this probably puts it in the 1980's market (or thereabouts.) The vessel should exhibit signs of great love and care by the PO. As the boat is destined for the North Atlantic in the role of a coastal cruiser, the lower helm is far more important than the upper (which would see occasional use). Fog and hurricanes are frequent visitors to our fair province so it needs to be sturdy and well equipped for navigation. (Not that I intend to brave some of these more challenging freaks of nature. There are times however, when we have no choice.)
I am a frequent flier with Yachtworld plus a dozen other broker's sites.
Thanks to all for your input.
Cworthy
"Boatless in NS"
Old 05-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
Cworthy your original post mentioned "MONK" as built in Nova Scotia. Actually a MONK could be built by many different builders in different countries as they are boats designed by Ed Monk rather than built by him.
Herte is a picture of a 40' "Monk" that was built in Taiwan that I sold around five years ago.

You are right about the import duty on boats that were not built in the USA or Canada. However if you find a boat built in Taiwan or elsewhere that has already been imported into Canada there is no addtional import duty.
This is why this web site is so great! And here I thought that the Monk's built in my back yard were particular to Nova Scotia! Thanks for the heads up.

Cworthy
"Boatless in NS"
Old 05-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I believe you're thinking of Wellcraft. Not sure about the whole line, but the Wellcraft Californians were built in the US on the east coast - Florida, I believe. Carver also built the Californians in the eastern US for a short while, including NC.

Buried in these articles are mentions of the history of the lineage.

34 Californian Articles, Specs and Factory Options List
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by cworthy View Post

I'm looking for a used trawler in the under $90K range probably between 35 & 42 feet.
In addition to the "trawler" types (a term I hate but will use here since you are), don't overlook the boat made famous in your part of the world, the lobsterboat. While a working lobsterboat is not much on accommodations, there are some very nice cruising lobsterboats around. The photo below is the boat belonging to our best boating buddies, Carey and his wife of this forum. The hull is a 36' commercial lobsterboat hull but the accommodations for cruising are terrific.

While these boats are typically pretty high-powered--- Carey's boat has a 420 hp (I think) Cat in it--- they can be cruised quite economically with the extra speed available if necessary. Carey's boat is designed and powered to do about 14-15 knots all day. However for the last few years he's been running it at about 8-9 knots most of the time to conserve fuel. And it does just fine at that speed except in rough water when it is beneficial to speed up some.

I have no idea what role aesthetics play in what's important to you in a boat, nor do I know what you think looks good. But speaking strictly for myself I think most of today's "condos" as FF likes to refer to the typical, slab-sided "trawler" are supremely ugly. Good user space inside but the boats aesthetically have no appeal to me whatsoever.

But the lobsterboat is a gorgeous design as well as being very practical and seaworthy. And if a cruiser version of one is designed right, as I believe Carey's is, a recreational lobsterboat can be as pretty as the working ones.

So don't overlook what's in your own backyard. And is built there, too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Happy Destiny.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	11241  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
This came from another forum. I think just some of the little guys are made in MX.

"The most efficient plant, funny enough, is the Reynosa Mexico plant, where many hulls are shared, such as the Bayliner 175, Maxum 1800MX, and Sea Ray 175BR."
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #29

I have no idea what role aesthetics play in what's important to you in a boat, nor do I know what you think looks good. But speaking strictly for myself I think most of today's "condos" as FF likes to refer to the typical, slab-sided "trawler" are supremely ugly. Good user space inside but the boats aesthetically have no appeal to me whatsoever.

But the lobsterboat is a gorgeous design as well as being very practical and seaworthy. And if a cruiser version of one is designed right, as I believe Carey's is, a recreational lobsterboat can be as pretty as the working ones.

So don't overlook what's in your own backyard. And is built there, too.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reminder about our local craft. They are very seaworthy vessels and do yeoman service for thousands of local fishermen in tough ocean conditions. The one in the photo looks like it's been nicely upgraded. Am I correct that the photo was taken at the mouth of the LeHavre River in Bridgewater, NS?
Personally, I guess the choice of boat comes down to aesthetics.... which are unique to each of us.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Cworthy
"Boatless in NS"
Old 05-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #30
Scraping Paint

City: -
No, I took the photo from our boat as we were passing the Turn Point Lighthouse on Stuart Island in the San Juan Islands in Washington State. The light marks the east side of one of the main turns in shipping channel from the Pacific through the Juan de Fuca Strait through the islands to the Strait of Georgia and on up to Vancouver, BC. Very busy shipping lane to say the least.

IIRC, Carey's hull and superstructure were made in Maine and then shipped out here for completion. Or his hull was made in Maine and shipped out here for the completion of the rest of the boat. Hopefully he'll chime in here and set us straight. He's told me who made the boat but I can't remember.

There are a couple of other lobster boats from the same manufacturer out here. One of them for sure does not have the flying bridge, and it looks very nice, too. The main cabin of Carey's boat is huge for a 36' boat--- thir boat is the "mother ship" when we cruise together as they can seat eight around their main cabin table. A big forward stateroom with a head, shower compartment, and large closet aft of that.

It's a great boat and one of my favorites in our 2000+ boat marina.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #31
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
No, I took the photo from our boat as we were passing the Turn Point Lighthouse on Stuart Island in the San Juan Islands in Washington State. The light marks the east side of one of the main turns in shipping channel from the Pacific through the Juan de Fuca Strait through the islands to the Strait of Georgia and on up to Vancouver, BC. Very busy shipping lane to say the least.

IIRC, Carey's hull and superstructure were made in Maine and then shipped out here for completion. Or his hull was made in Maine and shipped out here for the completion of the rest of the boat. Hopefully he'll chime in here and set us straight. He's told me who made the boat but I can't remember.

There are a couple of other lobster boats from the same manufacturer out here. One of them for sure does not have the flying bridge, and it looks very nice, too. The main cabin of Carey's boat is huge for a 36' boat--- thir boat is the "mother ship" when we cruise together as they can seat eight around their main cabin table. A big forward stateroom with a head, shower compartment, and large closet aft of that.

It's a great boat and one of my favorites in our 2000+ boat marina.
cworthy
At Marin's request I'll clarify a couple questions. My lobster boat was built by Flye Point Marine in Brooklin, Maine in 1990. She was layed up and roughed in at the yard in Maine and shipped to Washington State with engine and transmission installed. She is of a Spencer Lincoln design. She was then completed by a local cabinet maker/boat builder. Flye Point later sold to Atlantic Boat Company, which still sells an occasional hull off of that mold. They are primarily involved in building the Duffy designs which most of us in the lobster boat world know very well.
Marin was right in saying it's powered by a 420 hp Caterpillar six cylinder (3126). As much as I love our boat, I will say lobster boats are not for everyone. You have to love them enough to give up the space that they don't have as a result of the low shear line. This sedan version has only one stateroom in the 36' size. If you need a second stateroom, there are a few tri-cabins built by various manufacturers in your neighborhood.
Finally, I will add that for me, the combination of handling, speed and ability to run slow as well, makes it the ideal boat for me. But they truly aren't for everyone.
Good luck on your search.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:17 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
This came from another forum. I think just some of the little guys are made in MX.

"The most efficient plant, funny enough, is the Reynosa Mexico plant, where many hulls are shared, such as the Bayliner 175, Maxum 1800MX, and Sea Ray 175BR."
Interesting...

Lots of stuff is being built in Reynosa. I didn't know about the Bayliners though.

Most of the product for my business comes out of Reynosa. I have a warehouse in Mcallen, in the Foreign Trade Zone.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Atlantic Boat is in Brooklin, Maine, just down the road aways from me. The self styled "Boatbuilding Capital of the World". Many of the Duffy boats they build are Spencer Lincoln designs. Spencer is a wacky local character who certainly designs nice boats. The Zimmerman Z31 and Z38 are his designs as well.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #34

City: Watch Hill RI
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
Check out Samson Enterprises out of Arichat, Nova Scotia (samsonboats.com). I mention them because we have a 38' Samson rigged for tuna at our boat yard, and I was on a 42' Samson last year built for a cruising couple. Rugged and heavily built, they have a range of offshore commercial and pleasure boats, kits or finished. There's probably a bunch of lobster and fishing Samson's up there looking for some TLC. As with most other builders who market hull kits, like Atlantic Boat's Duffy, there's probably some unfinished dreams hanging out in some back yards or barns.

John Baczek
Puffin, NT32-266
Watch Hill RI
Puffin_NT32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #35
Boat Bum

City: Kemah, Texas
Vessel Name: Traveling Star
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Do not forget the Pilgrim 40 built in Godrich Canada
Pilgrim 40 Hull #18
Kemah, Texas
Alfton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Don't forget the Sabrelines either. And Legacy makes/made some really interesting full displacement trawlers.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Don't forget the Sabrelines either. And Legacy makes/made some really interesting full displacement trawlers.
Another great American vessel!!
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

I believe that all Fales (Willard copy) were made in the Pearson yard in Rhode Island.
dougd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #39
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Great Harbours are made in FL.

Great Harbor Trawlers : America's Go-Anywhere Liveaboard

JD is offline   Reply With Quote