Old 11-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Long Island
Vessel Name: Sea Change
What Trawler...

From my user name I was sure the Nordic Tug was the eventual trawler for me...But I continue my search, making the shows (Lauderdale most recently) and speaking with long term cruisers every chance I can (what works what doesn't). I have boarded and combed through: 42 and 44 Nordic's, Nordhavn's 43 and 47, Kady Krogan 40's, Krogan Express and the 55 Flemming, Ocean Yachts, and Selene. I seem to be settling on a twin engine semi-displacement hulls over full which kills many mentioned. I really, REALLY like the build quality and continuous improvement philosophy of Fleming not to mention the added space. My question; is it better to purchase a higher end boat with more engine hours and 15 to 20 years on the hull vs a newer, ostensibly lesser quality builder? Mind you, I would never buy any boat that was poorly maintained...so anything in the 15 to 20 year old range I would be learning as much about the previous owners habits, as what survey and oil samples and the like would reveal.
FIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Some general thoughts

For a 20 year old boat previous care and maintenance trumps builders name IMHO. Comparing an any age NT to a Fleming to a Selene etc is apples to oranges. How you want to use the boat, size range and budget have been the keys for us. Pin these down and be very "care and condition" selective and you'll be successful in the hunt.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks for the thought....BTW had to look up IMHO which for the texting challenged means "In My Humble Opinion".
Old 11-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

So do you buy an 10 year properly maintained XX boat over a 20 year old properly maintained Fleming? That is the real question I have.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:52 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Nordic Tug has been my favorite for many years. Even thought they aren’t perfect. I wish they had a hull shape closer to FD w more rocker (but not FD) and of course less power like about 80hp. And the big fuel tank in the laz could be made smaller and a water tank added.

The wheelhouse is an very important part of my attraction to this boat.

And like a car .. buy an older model that is in near perfect shape.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #6

City: St James City/Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Charlie Noble
Vessel Model: 32 Nordic Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaTug View Post
So do you buy an 10 year properly maintained XX boat over a 20 year old properly maintained Fleming? That is the real question I have.
There would be other variables that would have to consider, like does the 10 yrs old properly maintained boat have twice the amount of hours of the Fleming or maybe the other way around? Does the 20 year old boat have newer up grades? The list goes on.

But I wouldn't buy XX boat if I had my heart set on a Fleming. I would keep searching for well maintained Fleming that is a good deal.

Of course I am partial to the Nordic Tug.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:48 PM   #7

City: Long Beach
Vessel Name: Checkmate
Vessel Model: GB 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by IwannaTug View Post
I’d rather have a 20 year old well maintained hull and engine. IMHO, it will cost you less in the long run. I like the idea of a twin over a single. Personal preference. The 20 year old boat will have a better percentage of value at resale.