What is a trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RT,
When I had my Jaguar roadster several times in a college town strange girls I didn't know hopped in the passenger seat while I was stopped for a light. The Jaguar had low cut doors so one could just step in w/o opening the door. One became my girlfriend for about a year.

Never experienced that before or since.

Last edited:
RT,
When I had my Jaguar roadster several times in a college town strange girls I didn't know hopped in the passenger seat while I was stopped for a light. The Jaguar had low cut doors so one could just step in w/o opening the door. One became my girlfriend for about a year.

Maybe you could add low cut doors to your Willy...the boat, I mean!

THIS is a sports car!

I've been a car guy for as long as I can remember, back into my single-digit years. But I still remember my first consciousness raising.

When I was knee-high to a high knee (TM Hawkeye Pierce), my father owned a Big Healey -- a 100-6, to be exact. It was like the better-known (and later) 3000, except a bit more primitive -- with removable side curtains instead of roll-up windows, and was probably lacking a few other creature comforts, as well.

For reasons I don't recall (or more likely, was never privy to in the first place), early one evening when I was five, my father had to go to the dealership where he'd bought the Healey in order to talk to somebody about something. Maybe about the reliability of his car. I wish I could ask him, but he's gone now.

I was allowed to come along to British Motor Center in San Jose on the condition that (1) I wore my pajamas, and (2) that I'd go to bed within nanoseconds of our returning home to Los Gatos. (Despite it being the Kennedy era, my father was one of those old-school parents with an obsessive "bedtime" fetish. Probably because after a long day as a young engineer at Lockheed in Sunnyvale, he valued some "grownup time" with my mother in the evenings.)

While my father went off to talk to whoever it was he needed to talk to, I padded around the showroom to kill the time. There were two or three other Big Healeys on display, and maybe an early Spridget or two.

They were cool, as far as they went. But there was this one car in the corner that stood out from the others. It drew me as though by magnetism.

It was midnight blue, and shaped like a flattened torpedo. Its headlights were under glass, and there were louvers on its long hood. Instead of a grille, there was an empty oval with a chrome bar across it.

I reached for the door handle on the driver's side. The first thing I noticed was that my fingers didn't go all the way through. Interesting.

The second thing I noticed was that unlike the case with the other cars in the showroom, the door was locked.

My mom found a salesman and deferentially asked whether five-year-old me might be allowed to sit in the car. To his credit, the salesman was happy to unlock the car for me.

When the door opened, I was almost knocked over by the intense smell of tanned leather. If I concentrate, I can still smell it.

Once I clambered into the driver's seat, I was confronted by an angry gold cat, silently growling at me at eye level from the hub of the steering wheel. The second thing I noticed was a long row of toggle switches in the middle of the dash. I've loved toggle switches ever since.

I fell in love with that car then. I'm still in love, to this day. Maybe someday, I'll own one.

Last edited:
I'd say that trawlers are the SUV's of the boat world.

Just as SUV's originally were once real go anywhere 4x4's with heavy suspension, low gear ratio's, powerful winches, spartan interior, and rough ride, but now turned into luxury vehicles with all the modern conveniences suitable for family outings or the cocktail crowd.
We convince ourselves that an SUV is still a "he-man" vehicle, that handles the rough and tough environment, even if we never take it off-road.

Trawlers have gone the same way.

RT,

Yeah man…I would have killed for an E-type when in my teens and early 20s, but too expensive. I have a GP friend back in NZ tho who had (or had) 2 E-types, and as a hobby restored Mark II Jag saloons.

Sorry…back on topic…guys, it's the look…totally just the trawler style look…everything else is secondary. Or, borrowing on the Jag E-type ternamology, maybe we could call it the trawler-type boats..?

When I had my Jaguar roadster several times in a college town strange girls I didn't know hopped in the passenger seat while I was stopped for a light.

I knew the Jag guys got all the girls, took this long to get confirmation.

Sex does indeed sell cars so what does that say about the aspirations of turtle buyers?

Greetings,
Mr.b. "...aspirations of turtle buyers?" Biology nerds?
th

I'd say that trawlers are the SUV's of the boat world.

Just as SUV's originally were once real go anywhere 4x4's with heavy suspension, low gear ratio's, powerful winches, spartan interior, and rough ride, but now turned into luxury vehicles with all the modern conveniences suitable for family outings or the cocktail crowd.
We convince ourselves that an SUV is still a "he-man" vehicle, that handles the rough and tough environment, even if we never take it off-road.

Trawlers have gone the same way.

That means Eric's early 70's Buick and my 67 Wildcat might be thought of as old-school "Fast Trawler Cars"... before acronym SUV appeared! :facepalm: :lol:

4WD SUV's are simply for carrying apparant gear and launching trailer boats such as runabouts, ski boats, small cabin cruisers! :thumb:

SUVs are for women and children that want to be vogue.

If you want to do some work get a truck. If you want to transport people get a sedan. Everything else is like a motorsailer. Not really good at anything except being vogue. Fad is important in the USA.

Art I don't think my Buick was thought of as fast. However it rolls over big hills like they weren't there and has long legs. Very smooth and comfortable. Gets down the road well too but it's no rocket. Art is your engine the same basic block as my 455?

And speaking of girl magnets Willy does quite well. They think she's cute.

Last edited:
Art is your engine the same basic block as my 455?

Yes... As I understand it from racing engine machinists...

Buick 455 is 430 Buick big-block bored out with different piston configuration and down tuned heads that resulted in dropped compression... along with increased smog apparatus as power-sucking peripheries.

Basically, it’s a lowered HP similar engine that complied with the then newly existing smog regulations. Items in 430 that make high HP and incredible torque are its “domed” heads, different piston stroke, and considerably high compression ratio. It requires high octane gasoline (which is becoming scarce commodity and is not as good a quality as before). The one smog pump on 1967 430 is completely unnecessary; basically useless; there is no other smog equipment. I keep that pump’s belt in the trunk. That said, 430 engine burns really clean on high test gas. I can hardly wait till I break-in this recent professional rebuild. Should have her back on road in week or two!

Vroom - Vroooommm / Squeeeelllll :lol:

Come on guys...how long will it take before someone jumps on that line?:eek:

I'm not gonna touch it...RTF...you gotta be thinking along similar lines....:rofl:

(sorry Art's post snuck in as I was posting)

And speaking of girl magnets Willy does quite well. They think she's cute.

Wifey B: So girls think your Willy is cute. Yes, cute is the word we use sometimes to praise little things.

So if Jaguars are girl magnets (which I might dispute them being so in today's world), what cars do girls drive that are guy magnets? Guess maybe driving my Porsche topless? I do like convertibles.

Come on guys...how long will it take before someone jumps on that line?:eek:

I'm not gonna touch it...RTF...you gotta be thinking along similar lines....:rofl:

(sorry Art's post snuck in as I was posting)

Wifey B: Well, I should certainly hope you don't plan on touching it. And I'm not about to jump on it....

Wifey B: So girls think your Willy is cute. Yes, cute is the word we use sometimes to praise little things.

So if Jaguars are girl magnets (which I might dispute them being so in today's world), what cars do girls drive that are guy magnets? Guess maybe driving my Porsche topless? I do like convertibles.

Picts - - > Please! PM is perfectly OK! :rofl: :dance:

Wifey B: Oh it just looks like any other 911 convertible. You don't need a pic for that....hehe

No two "topless" autos ever look exactly da same... herher :flowers: :socool: :D

Varied as waves on the ocean! :thumb: :lol:

So if Jaguars are girl magnets (which I might dispute them being so in today's world), what cars do girls drive that are guy magnets?

The obvious answer is an S1 E-type Jaguar...with a proper rear end...

Spouse's car last Spring

DSCN7347.jpg

Spouses car next Spring

62cj2.jpg

No two "topless" autos ever look exactly da same... herher :flowers: :socool: :D

Varied as waves on the ocean! :thumb: :lol:

Wifey B: True, but my car is at home where it's warm and good weather to be topless. Meanwhile I'm in 52 degree weather. And the beaches here are Petroglyph, not sand. Certainly not South Beach. And the wildlife here is the non-human kind, not the same connotation as "wild life" might have in South Florida.

Wifey B: True, but my car is at home where it's warm and good weather to be topless. Meanwhile I'm in 52 degree weather. And the beaches here are Petroglyph, not sand. Certainly not South Beach. And the wildlife here is the non-human kind, not the same connotation as "wild life" might have in South Florida.

We all know what happens in 52 and below degree weather - can become a "pointed" discussion! :angel:

We all know what happens in 52 and below degree weather - can become a "pointed" discussion! :angel:

Wifey B: Yes, my hubby could confirm that. Guess Jenn, Tabitha and I are temperature gauges which can turn my hubby into a weathervane.

Wifey B: Yes, my hubby could confirm that. Guess Jenn, Tabitha and I are temperature gauges which can turn my hubby into a weathervane.

Sounds like storms are often experienced... at times it could even unfold into high velocity, ongoing Hurrycans, with Tornadic Twisther overrides! :eek:

Oh yeah, Trawlers... defined as: A boat all the above could happen upon!

Last edited:
Wifey B-if you are driving topless, a '63 Dodge Dart convertible is a guy magnet!

Ghostrider-if a little bit of fish/shrimp smell is all it takes to be a trawler, I am going to get with HopCar and start marketing spray cans of "True Trawler Aroma". Two squirts and everyone on the dock will know you have a "True Trawler!" We could get rich!

Wifey B: Boats are either to make money or have fun. Some are both. But for those talking here about Trawlers, they're simply for pleasure and names and labels don't mean a thing, it's just whatever floats your boat, whatever is enjoyable for you. Too many people get hung up on labels of boat or hulls or other nautical labels instead of just mating what they get to their own plans and desires. Either none of these are true trawlers or they all are trawlers or who gives a darn. Maybe one day I go fast and it's not a trawler and the next day slow and it is.

How about one of these?

Hydracraft

Hydracraft understood that combining many boats in one required not a single design but the capacity of a single boat to achieve many forms.

We thus developed a boat that can easily change hull shapes to fit all variables: The deep-V hull is excellent for deep-sea fishing and for ocean excursions. It is ideal for stability in rough water and for cutting through large waves, but it can’t maneuver well in shallow water. The flat-bottom boat provides a stable platform on a still lake or in a shallow cove but would be dangerous for ocean use. And the multi-hull catamaran offers speed and fuel economy because of reduced surface frictional resistance.

Now the Hydracraft owner can have it all! A dial on the console enables the owner to select a Deep-V hull, a semi-V hull, a flat-bottom hull, or a catamaran multi-hull.

The transformation takes place within one minute and can be accomplished right on the water. The owner is thus provided with the specific, optimal hull for all boating activities and for the varying weather and surface conditions encountered on a single excursion.

Now doesn't that blow your mind....hehe

My hubby found that. They even have a video. Freaking something.....I just don't know the something...awesome, weird, insane? I don't know.

Er... you named them?

Racing back toward the topic... :)

I confess; we don't have a trawler. Not an FD one, not an SD one, not a "fast" one, not a duck, not a trawler yacht, not a passagemaker...

Even though we often run it like folks do who have trawlers. I guess that makes our avatar another example of NOT a trawler :)

I had a Jag-you-are 3.8S saloon car when I lived in England, and oddly didn't have too many electrical problems. Had a nice mahogany (I think) table that pulled out of the dash, perfect for the going-home pint... or short. 120 on the M1, only slightly slower on the A1. Had more engine, just usually ran out of road. Surprised I survived those years.

This thread has been an interesting read; I gather it's more important for folks who feel more comfortable when they can put all the widgets in the one (and only one) "right" (to them) slot.

Back to that naming thing... er... no... never mind...

-Chris

petroglyph not sand?

Wifey B:

Petroglyphs (also called rock engravings) are pictogram and logogram images created by removing part of a rock surface by incising, picking, carving, and abrading.

As in Petroglyph Beach State Historic Park

I had a secretary who had a pair enlarged...named them Visa, and MasterCard.

Wifey B: Boy, you dudes.....well, the good thing is we don't have to spend money on that. Although both Jenn and I have been asked many times if we've had it done....that's just plain rude.

Back
Top Bottom