Old 06-16-2014, 05:46 PM   #101
Guru

City: gulf coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
So what?

some people buy boats just because they look one way or the other, or have a certain name, or the fake interior wood looks to them better than real wood....they are usually not very experienced boaters or planning long voyages....but because they are the vast majority of boaters...they get to label boat and buy what they like.

I'm not so foolish to think because I represent 1% of boaters that my interpretation should rule.

What is unique about a "trawler" that makes is better for long voyages??

In my opinion it is precisely the inexperienced buyers who are fixated on trawlers when other styles may fit their needs equally well.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #102
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
What is unique about a "trawler" that makes is better for long voyages??
Nothing and I could have as easily bought an older Hatt or Chris Craft...just didn't for a lot of reasons...certainly not because they weren't trawlers.

But I also don't think most people on the planet really care one way or the other. Just going to boat shows and flipping through boating mags shows the strict definition of a trawler some here think should exist is going to take a lot of work to change the industry.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #103
Guru

City: gulf coast
As I said earlier it seems only the boat buyers who have an idea there is a strict definition of trawler, the owners as demonstrated here generally agree with you. What that means is buyers are ignoring a lot of boats in their search because of some definition of trawler that doesn't exist.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #104
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
So what?

some people buy boats just because they look one way or the other, or have a certain name, or the fake interior wood looks to them better than real wood....they are usually not very experienced boaters or planning long voyages....but because they are the vast majority of boaters...they get to label boat and buy what they like.

I'm not so foolish to think because I represent 1% of boaters that my interpretation should rule.
I find most of your responses childish and without much merit. You don't play well with others do you?
Or perhaps I have it wrong you're the resident expert, does that make you feel superior?
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #105
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
If you own a TRUE trawler you know it. Everyone one else, posers or whatever, can call a boat a trawler if they feel the need. Call it a type, a lifestyle, etc. Us turtle folks are still shaking our heads in dismay
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #106
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. p. If I may paraphrase your quote: "...some people buy American sports cars just because they look one way or the other, or have a certain name, or the fake interior wood looks to them better than real wood....they are usually not very experienced drivers ....but because they are the vast majority of drivers...they get to label car and buy what they like. All-American Sports Cars . These are NOT sports cars IMO and that's all it is. My opinion. Ford Mustang for example. Pffaaaf! But it's advertised and SOLD as a sports car isn't it? Same thing as "trawlers".
THIS is a sports car!

Old 06-16-2014, 07:21 PM   #107
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
For the life of me I just don't understand why the name “Trawler”, when used as a single word to connote the model/type of a pleasure boat, needs to be so narrowly defined regarding the design, equipment, and parameters of said boat, i.e. actually a “Pleasure Cruiser" (some like to term as a Trawler). Isn’t it the general use of the boat that really determines its then current nomenclature-title? Additionally, it seems only logical that seeing as there are two distinctly different “Trawler” types used for diametrically different reasons in marine life that there should be a clear suffix placed on each; i.e. “Commercial Trawler” and “Pleasure Trawler”

Let’s take boat types and see if their model name is defined by design/item particulars or by what they are actually used for (increments of boat design in accordance with type named can often vary widely):

1. Sport Fisher: (for “sport fishing”), i.e. a sporting pleasure boat!
a. Soft top
b. Hardtop
c. Sedan
d. Fly bridge sedan
e. Texas tower
f. Raised deck
g. Flush deck
h. Twin or single or triple screw - direct drive, v-drive, out drive, outboard, pod, - gasoline or diesel
i. Displacement, semi displacement, planing
j. Mono or catamaran hull
k. Self contained or not
l. Cockpit steering or not
m. 25’ long to 80’ + long, or anywhere in between

2. Commercial Trawler: (for “trolling”; not for pleasure), i.e. a work boat.
a. Fishing rigging
b. Refrigerated hold
c. Expansive flush-deck space
d. Great deck lighting for night work and big gen set with big battery bank to power all forms of utility items aboard
e. Tall pilot house
f. Any number / type / size engines – usually direct drive diesel or gen powered electric motor
g. Usually displacement, deep draft hull for carting enormous cargo weight
h. 30’ to 100’ + in length

3. Commuter Craft: (a “day boat”), i.e. for close area travel or enjoyment.
a. Sleek displacement, semi displacement, or planing hull
b. Any type or number of power sources
c. Creature comforts as needed
d. Sedan or fly bridge sedan, hardtop or fly bridge hardtop, or soft top
e. 25’ to 45’ +/-

4. Pleasure Trawler: (for “pleasure”; not for trolling), i.e. a pleasurable pleasure boat
a. Any type hull design
b. Any type/number power source
c. May have steadying sail or other stabilizer assist methods
d. Trim tabs – depending on hull and power
e. Any type accommodations – but, usually extensively self contained
f. Pilot house, command bridge, flying bridge, portuguese bridge
g. Single, double, triple or more cabins
h. Flush deck or raised deck
i. Cockpit or not
j. Swim step or not
k. Flat or canoe stern

5. Tug Boat / Cargo Ship / Container Ship / Oil Tankers / Many Types Surface War Ships / Subs... All Fairly Self Explanatory

Sooo... Kinda seems to me that “Pleasure Trawler” is just about the most pliable design of all the type boats mentioned. And, I believe that the suffix “Pleasure” or “Commercial” should more often be used as a premise to the word “Trawler” – If “Trawler” is what anyone wants to call their “Pleasure Cruiser”, the term I affix to our Tollycraft tri cabin boat.

YRMV!

Happy Pleasure Cruiser (err "Pleasure Trawler") Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #108
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RT THAT is a sports car and Mustangs were sporty cars just because they were sporty looking. In the beginning (the 60s) Mustang had the brakes, steering and most of the other mechanical components of the Ford Falcon ... one of the cheapest economy cars ever. I think they had good engines though.

Do you think Americans settle for imitations more than others? Most American things tend to look fancy. Glitter is pop in the states. But maybe we've largely gotten over that.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:52 PM   #109
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. mb. "Do you think Americans settle for imitations more than others?" Not at all. American originality and innovation is right up there with the best in the world but advertising sells cars AND boats so labeling whether accurate OR "ornamental" is what the customer sees first. I think it much more likely that someone who buys a car does so with MUCH less research than your average boat buyer. Corvette sports car is as much as an oxymoron as fast trawler.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #110
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
http://

Did somebody say Mustangs here's mine I have had it for 35 plus years.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #111
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I've owned several Corvettes and any one of them would put that little black thang to shame anywhere, on any course or roadway any day. To say that a "Vette is not a sports car is just not right. The current Z06 is so far ahead of anything in its price class that they stopped making some of the other so called "sports cars". And I've owned a few of the others. I liked the Viper best, but it did not like me. And yes, Americans will totally buy into ad BS, then defend there purchase even after finding out it was not actually what it was represented to be. Even more so the larger the $$$ factor is. The guy that paid big bucks for a "trawler" shaped like a bleach bottle with 502 Mercs is not inclined to say "I shoulda done some more research" especially when he figures out that to sell he will lose a substantial portion of his input. So he just calls it a trawler.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:32 PM   #112
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Not a big Corvette fan. But I did watch nearly 24 hours of racing this last weekend. The Corvette did indeed spank some Aston Martins and Ferraris. So maybe the Corvette is a sports car again.

PS: those Aston Martins looked sweet.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #113
Art
Guru

In 1971 a 1969 Vett w/ 427 4 spd - That was a BADD Asssss buggy... when we were still young!

1964 Chevy Impala SS w/ 409 - tough btch!

1967 Chevelle convert w/ 396 could romp!

1966 Wildcat with 425 cid, 325 hp nail head was no slouch!

Currently putting in a completely rebuilt (by area renowned race car machinist) 430 cid, 360 hp, 500 ft lb t, domed head, 10.5 to 1 comp engine in our weekend driver Buick Wildcat... may eventually put on an Edelbrock intake manifold and carb. Has been all orig with Rochester dual quad and its intake. I’ll break her in first before changing things too much. I had all original sizes but inside her. 360 hp works just fine on this power everything AC'd “Classic Luxo Muscle Car”
Old 06-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #114
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I like the blue Mustang in the erectile dysfunction add.

But I'd rather drive my new Jetta.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1487 copy.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:38 PM   #115
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. k. Out of the box ~$80K (comparable price to '14 Z06)..... Any course any roadway any day....(6 year old review-I expect the 2014 models perform and handle better.)
Specifications Ariel Atom V8 500 - [2008] 0 to 60 mph, Top Speed, 0 to 100 kph, 0 to 62 mph
As to that "... little black thang..." It would wipe the floor with a '70 'vette and YES MY BOAT IS A TRAWLER.....Isn't that what this threads about?

Old 06-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #116
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I like the blue Mustang in the erectile dysfunction add.

But I'd rather drive my new Jetta.
You watchen that ad too closely??

Anyway - VW looks like smart buy!
Old 06-16-2014, 09:59 PM   #117
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post

YES MY BOAT IS A TRAWLER.....Isn't that what this threads about?
RT - I be meanen ta ask ya! What is your "Trawler" boat?? Jus wonderen??

BTW: Talken Autos... With 100K orig miles my ol' 67 Wildcat clocked in at 0 - 60 in 6.95 sec. Factory top end was listed at 148 mph. Weight - 4,200 + lbs. 11 to 13 mpg around town, 15 to 16 on hwy... depending on pussy foot of course! I call that "old school" life insurance!
Old 06-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #118
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
So confused?!?!

Do I even own a boat??
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:14 PM   #119
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Realizing that we're in epic drift here, I'll just say: 'Vette? Mustang? Jag? All toys!

0 to 100 Mph and stop in 13.8 seconds! Not many cars could do that in 1965.

angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:15 PM   #120
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
So confused?!?!

Do I even own a boat??
YES - The most beautiful kind too!