Old 06-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #141
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
One sailboat friend just sold his Moorings Cat after 50 years of sailing and he bought a Meridian 49 with pretty big Cummins.

My other sailor friend (45 years and owns a 42 Catalina outfitted for long range cruising) is thinking of selling and going power and is looking at Nordic and Ranger tugs...he likes the idea of the extra speed when you need it. He thought it comical that his sailboat was way faster than my trawler.

They both like the guys Meridian because it can go fast, has twins and when throttled back with the newer engines and longer waterline gets the same fuel economy as my 40 Albin.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #142
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. Bv. YOU GOT IT! Exactly why I employed the sports car analogy in my ingenious, so easily interpreted as thread creep but all part of the plan, ruse.
So, Mr. RT, this was pseudo thread drift? Still, you raised an interesting prospect: what if CTF or some of the other yards had cut a deal with Lucas to source electrical components for our [insert adjective] boats? Imagine the endless joyful opportunities to become intimately acquainted with your wiring diagram!

angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #143
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I wonder if any of you recall that the Cobra wasn't created in the US. It was a very nice Brit sports car called an Ace. Had a SOHC six engine and was much like the Austin Healy 3000. I've not driven one but as a sanely driven street car it probably was a lot more pleasurable to drive than the Cobra.
A friend of mine in the 60s had a 300SL Gull Wing at the same time I had my 140 Jag roadster. Totally different cars. The Jag was complete sweetness on the way to church or on the lakeside boulevard. A dream to drive as many would say. The GW on the other hand (held as far apart as possible) was a bear to drive. Two to one steering w big wheels & tires meant one needed to keep one's hands on the wheel all the way around a corner. Couldn't shift then and of course that's usually/frequently when you wanted to shift. The clutch was abrupt and heavy. The shifting notchy. Numerically the cars were extremely similar. But as different as bunny rabbits and gators.

The British Ace sports car got Americanized and became something almost totally different loosing all of it's original charm but it now had BALLS. And of course the American Corvette was much the same .. But not at first.

Three questions;
1 . Is the trawler an American creation?
2. . Does the fact that trawlers are almost all over powered have anything to do with the above sports car comparisons? And I think FAR more trawlers built other than in the US have FD hulls.

And then is the concept of trawler basically an American thing

PS .. My Jaguar had no electrical problems. If you really want to see bad electrical stuff look at Italian cars and motorcycles.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #144
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. a. Self induced thread creep to prove my point so, yes, pseudo thread creep if you will. Let's use the term "creep" please. Use of the "d" word suggests, as some have noted, doing silly things in reprogrammed imported Asian cars. The use of the "d" word may also suggest and encourage use of the "a" word and we don't want THAT do we? I know, I know Mr. HopCar. It's either too big, too small or the wrong color. Anchor.....oops, sorry I panicked....
Old 06-17-2014, 12:56 PM   #145
Veteran Member

City: Vesty
Vessel Name: GhostriderIII
Vessel Model: 28m ocean tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Bill:
In my opinion they do but as you can see by all the responses here there is little agreement. Everyone thinks a GB is a trawler as with an Island trader and all the Asian copies. Semi planning hulls all but people will buy pass a nice Hatteras ACMY for one of those brands because some marketing type named it a trawler.
Those are semi-displacement hulls - not "true" trawlers. A "true" trawler is a shrimper! We take them and convert to live-aboards. Biggest problem is getting smell out of the holds!
Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #146
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider42 View Post
Those are semi-displacement hulls - not "true" trawlers. A "true" trawler is a shrimper! We take them and convert to live-aboards. Biggest problem is getting smell out of the holds!

Having had four boys, I don't think I'd notice the difference.The shrimp may be if anything less odorous.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:58 PM   #147
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider42 View Post
So is a boat that stinks of shrimp or fish a true trawler and all others are wana bees. Now we can call this site the stinky boat forum. So far that seems to be the simplest solution to the mystery of what is a trawler?
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #148
Enigma

Greetings,
Andropause:
Flashy red "sportscar"=bimbo magnet
Trawler=babe magnet....that's it, that's all.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:36 PM   #149
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Having had four boys, I don't think I'd notice the difference.The shrimp may be if anything less odorous.
I guarantee you will lose your breakfast, lunch and dinner once you're in the hold. Those sweat socks will smell like roses by comparison.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #150
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
So is a boat that stinks of shrimp or fish a true trawler and all others are wana bees. Now we can call this site the stinky boat forum. So far that seems to be the simplest solution to the mystery of what is a trawler?
If it's not a full displacement hull, it's pretty much a wanna-be. IMHO - trawlers on this forum - are not real trawlers. Sadly, 99% wouldn't meet the criteria. They are merely pleasure craft. They have turbo charged engines, luxury quarters, multiple heads, sleek lines and are fiberglass. They cannot pull or drag anything but a skiff.

Romsdahl, Ducks, tugs & shrimpers meet all the criteria - dry stacks, keel coolers, low rpm single engines, high bollard pull, low free board - you get the picture.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #151
Guru

RT,
When I had my Jaguar roadster several times in a college town strange girls I didn't know hopped in the passenger seat while I was stopped for a light. The Jaguar had low cut doors so one could just step in w/o opening the door. One became my girlfriend for about a year.

Never experienced that before or since.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:58 PM   #152
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
RT,
When I had my Jaguar roadster several times in a college town strange girls I didn't know hopped in the passenger seat while I was stopped for a light. The Jaguar had low cut doors so one could just step in w/o opening the door. One became my girlfriend for about a year.

Maybe you could add low cut doors to your Willy...the boat, I mean!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:38 AM   #153

City: Isleton, CA
Vessel Name: Anuenue
Vessel Model: Bayliner 2859 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
THIS is a sports car!
I've been a car guy for as long as I can remember, back into my single-digit years. But I still remember my first consciousness raising.

When I was knee-high to a high knee (TM Hawkeye Pierce), my father owned a Big Healey -- a 100-6, to be exact. It was like the better-known (and later) 3000, except a bit more primitive -- with removable side curtains instead of roll-up windows, and was probably lacking a few other creature comforts, as well.

For reasons I don't recall (or more likely, was never privy to in the first place), early one evening when I was five, my father had to go to the dealership where he'd bought the Healey in order to talk to somebody about something. Maybe about the reliability of his car. I wish I could ask him, but he's gone now.

I was allowed to come along to British Motor Center in San Jose on the condition that (1) I wore my pajamas, and (2) that I'd go to bed within nanoseconds of our returning home to Los Gatos. (Despite it being the Kennedy era, my father was one of those old-school parents with an obsessive "bedtime" fetish. Probably because after a long day as a young engineer at Lockheed in Sunnyvale, he valued some "grownup time" with my mother in the evenings.)

While my father went off to talk to whoever it was he needed to talk to, I padded around the showroom to kill the time. There were two or three other Big Healeys on display, and maybe an early Spridget or two.

They were cool, as far as they went. But there was this one car in the corner that stood out from the others. It drew me as though by magnetism.

It was midnight blue, and shaped like a flattened torpedo. Its headlights were under glass, and there were louvers on its long hood. Instead of a grille, there was an empty oval with a chrome bar across it.

I reached for the door handle on the driver's side. The first thing I noticed was that my fingers didn't go all the way through. Interesting.

The second thing I noticed was that unlike the case with the other cars in the showroom, the door was locked.

My mom found a salesman and deferentially asked whether five-year-old me might be allowed to sit in the car. To his credit, the salesman was happy to unlock the car for me.

When the door opened, I was almost knocked over by the intense smell of tanned leather. If I concentrate, I can still smell it.

Once I clambered into the driver's seat, I was confronted by an angry gold cat, silently growling at me at eye level from the hub of the steering wheel. The second thing I noticed was a long row of toggle switches in the middle of the dash. I've loved toggle switches ever since.

I fell in love with that car then. I'm still in love, to this day. Maybe someday, I'll own one.
Isleton, CA
geoffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:07 AM   #154
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I'd say that trawlers are the SUV's of the boat world.

Just as SUV's originally were once real go anywhere 4x4's with heavy suspension, low gear ratio's, powerful winches, spartan interior, and rough ride, but now turned into luxury vehicles with all the modern conveniences suitable for family outings or the cocktail crowd.
We convince ourselves that an SUV is still a "he-man" vehicle, that handles the rough and tough environment, even if we never take it off-road.

Trawlers have gone the same way.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:26 AM   #155
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
RT,
Yeah man…I would have killed for an E-type when in my teens and early 20s, but too expensive. I have a GP friend back in NZ tho who had (or had) 2 E-types, and as a hobby restored Mark II Jag saloons.

Sorry…back on topic…guys, it's the look…totally just the trawler style look…everything else is secondary. Or, borrowing on the Jag E-type ternamology, maybe we could call it the trawler-type boats..?
Old 06-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #156
Guru

City: gulf coast
Quote:
When I had my Jaguar roadster several times in a college town strange girls I didn't know hopped in the passenger seat while I was stopped for a light.
I knew the Jag guys got all the girls, took this long to get confirmation.

Sex does indeed sell cars so what does that say about the aspirations of turtle buyers?
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #157
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr.b. "...aspirations of turtle buyers?" Biology nerds?
Old 06-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #158
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
I'd say that trawlers are the SUV's of the boat world.

Just as SUV's originally were once real go anywhere 4x4's with heavy suspension, low gear ratio's, powerful winches, spartan interior, and rough ride, but now turned into luxury vehicles with all the modern conveniences suitable for family outings or the cocktail crowd.
We convince ourselves that an SUV is still a "he-man" vehicle, that handles the rough and tough environment, even if we never take it off-road.

Trawlers have gone the same way.
That means Eric's early 70's Buick and my 67 Wildcat might be thought of as old-school "Fast Trawler Cars"... before acronym SUV appeared!

4WD SUV's are simply for carrying apparant gear and launching trailer boats such as runabouts, ski boats, small cabin cruisers!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:25 PM   #159
Guru

SUVs are for women and children that want to be vogue.

If you want to do some work get a truck. If you want to transport people get a sedan. Everything else is like a motorsailer. Not really good at anything except being vogue. Fad is important in the USA.

Art I don't think my Buick was thought of as fast. However it rolls over big hills like they weren't there and has long legs. Very smooth and comfortable. Gets down the road well too but it's no rocket. Art is your engine the same basic block as my 455?

And speaking of girl magnets Willy does quite well. They think she's cute.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #160
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:

Art is your engine the same basic block as my 455?
Yes... As I understand it from racing engine machinists...

Buick 455 is 430 Buick big-block bored out with different piston configuration and down tuned heads that resulted in dropped compression... along with increased smog apparatus as power-sucking peripheries.

Basically, it’s a lowered HP similar engine that complied with the then newly existing smog regulations. Items in 430 that make high HP and incredible torque are its “domed” heads, different piston stroke, and considerably high compression ratio. It requires high octane gasoline (which is becoming scarce commodity and is not as good a quality as before). The one smog pump on 1967 430 is completely unnecessary; basically useless; there is no other smog equipment. I keep that pump’s belt in the trunk. That said, 430 engine burns really clean on high test gas. I can hardly wait till I break-in this recent professional rebuild. Should have her back on road in week or two!

Vroom - Vroooommm / Squeeeelllll

Art is offline   Reply With Quote