Old 06-16-2014, 12:40 AM   #81
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
We call our GB 32.....Ebbtide and that works for us.

Sheesh, we're taking the boat out!

Old 06-16-2014, 12:44 AM   #82
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
We call our GB 32.....Ebbtide and that works for us.

Sheesh, we're taking the boat out!
First the tide rushes in
Plants a kiss on the shore
Then rolls out to sea
And the sea is very still once more

So, I'll rush to your side
Like the oncoming tide
With one burning thought
Will your arms open wide

At last we're face to face
And as we kiss through an embrace
I can tell, I can feel you are love
You are really mine in the rain, in the dark, in the sun

Like the tide at its ebb
I'm at peace in the web of your arms

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:45 AM   #83
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
OMG - Trawler / Yacht could be shortened to spell the nickname "T W A T" OMG!!!

Is that why boats are consistently referred to in the female gender???

Just Wonderen!! LOL
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:50 AM   #84
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
OMG - Trawler / Yacht could be shortened to spell the nickname "T W A T" OMG!!!

Is that why boats are consistently referred to in the female gender???

Just Wonderen!! LOL
Now that's funny!
Old 06-16-2014, 01:04 AM   #85
Guru

To quote The Queen, from Alice In Wonderland:
"It means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less"

(It may not not generally known, but I am reliably informed, The Queen had in mind a genus of pleasure boats called "trawlers".)
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:54 AM   #86
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
There's certainly enough mushrooms to go around it seems.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:28 AM   #87
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffm View Post
I'd state the definition of a trawler this way:

A boat with a displacement or semi-displacement hull and diesel power, typically with traditional styling, and with a design and features that emphasize comfort, range, and economy over speed.

Badda-bing, badda-boom. Done and done. Send in the next case!
Not bad…not bad at all…quite close in fact. However, in my view the thing that distinguishes a trawler 'style' cruiser, and I emphasise the word style, because that is as close as any of our boats get to trawler really, is the style. Even a converted trawler is no longer a true trawler if it does not have serious fishing gear on board.

This is what true trawlers look like…
Bugger, it's the bottom pic, sorry - just as a reference like…it was meant to appear here, dammit...

So…in my view the feature that characterises a trawler style cruiser is the overall impression of being sturdy and purposeful, instead of flashy. Certainly has no pretence at aerodynamics, and clearly says this boat places practicality over speed. Usually it will have a blunt stern, decent free board, and be full or semi-displacement, although some, like the Beneteau Swift Trawler series, come close to having true planing capability.

This is what trawler style looks like…just one example...
New 2014 INTEGRITY 340 Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

This is not a trawler style boat
Used 2008 MUSTANG 3800 SPORTSCRUISER Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

I don't think the engine size or power or number really matters actually, so arguments re economy, efficiency and over or under loading are purely personal opinions in my view. THe engines don't define a trawler in my view, and that from someone who has your archetypal Lehman 120.

That's gonna provoke some comment…but…that's what a trawler style cruiser is for mine...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fishing_trawlers_and_National_Marine_Aquarium,_Plymouth.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	30575  
Old 06-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #88
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
One fellow asked the other "wanta coke ?" other fellow says "yeah" first fellow says "what kind ?" The name coke has become generic for softdrink. A Pepsi will never be a Coke and Pepsi drinkers dont call it that. If a friend is sent to get them a coke he may not know what they prefer. Boats are kinda like that, as land lubbers are not as intimately involved as some of us are. To them, and some here, if it looks like a trawler (or not in some cases) then it is. I still say if it goes over 10 knots (50 x 16 or less) it cannot be a trawler, I dont care what Beneteau calls it. "swift" trawler, thats like a "racing turtle" and folks that know turtles are just shaking there heads in dismay .
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #89
Veteran Member

City: NH
Finally. The definitive trawler thread. All it took was two Buicks, a bit of poetry, and the mere mention of mushrooms. I get it now.
Jobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #90
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BB. Ebbtide....

Mr. J. "All it took was two Buicks, a bit of poetry, and the mere mention of mushrooms." AND Gerry...
Old 06-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #91
Guru

City: gulf coast
Quote:
If you ask the typical boater in a marina what a trawler is and they'll point to a Grand Banks or Monk designed tri cabin layout with a mast. If you asked that same person what a motor yacht is they'd likely point at a sundeck or flush deck model.
The above is certainly true of people looking to buy a trawler. They seem to know or think they know what a trawler is and many of the boats shown by posters here would be automatically dismissed from consideration.

Their appears some magic definition available only to former sailboaters looking to move to power that is not available to all the rest of us boat owners.

If you look at the example quoted above the only stated difference between the GB and the FDMY is appearance yet if you talk to the potential trawler buyer he ascribes better fuel economy and sea keeping ability to the vessel of his dreams if it is named trawler.
So he spends his time searching for a Monk or island trader and ignores the FDMY.
bayview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #92
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
O thats like a "racing turtle" and folks that know turtles are just shaking there heads in dismay .
Actually there are turtle races...

Terms or genre's often evolve. That might be called drift to the traditionalists but it's called evolution to others. Few things stay the same. Perhaps to those older, Trawler came to identify a quite narrow grouping of boats but to the younger generation it's changed and grown some.

Many might say that type evolution is necessary if you want to endure and gain new followers. Otherwise you're left with only an older group and slowly you lose popularity. Major sports may be a prime example. American Football is no longer 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Look elsewhere, at something like Country Music. It's a little bit country, a little bit rock n roll.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #93
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
One fellow asked the other "wanta coke ?" other fellow says "yeah" first fellow says "what kind ?" The name coke has become generic for softdrink.
Only in the SE United States... First time I was asked what kind of Coke I wanted I was quite confused.

The term trawlers is kind of like that. Pretty much a North American term when applied to recreational boats.

Pretty sure George Beuhler (ducks and coots designer guy) calls them boats which are inspired by trollers, not trawlers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140616_081805.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	30578

Lots of trollers on the West Coast. And seiners and gillnetters and crabbers. But no trawlers.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #94
Veteran Member

City: Vesty
Vessel Name: GhostriderIII
Vessel Model: 28m ocean tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post

The term has certainly been bastardised over the years. To complicate matters, what about "trollers"? I consider my boat a "troller" because of its salmon trolling roots. The again, the drawings of my boat call it a "diesel cruiser".
Only true trollers are George Buehler, Monk - Skookum designs. If it doesn't sit squat in the water IMHO - it's a condo trawler - esp with high freeboard. Where I grew up just about every boat was a troller.
Ghostrider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #95
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I have a 31 foot Ameracat with a pair of 300 hp Verados. Its a troller, due to the fact that we troll a lot with it. It is not a DownEast because it was made in Florida. It has been called a booze cruizer, at times. I remember a thread on the other trawler forum where George Buhler actually chimed in. What a very interesting person, and his little dogs to. Spaniels IIRC, maybe Boykins or the like, long time ago and I have CRS. Thread drift,,,The term trawler is kinda like that. By definition a boat that is designed and used to pull a trawl net would be a trawler, here they're called shrimpers. Purse seiners are not trawlers, nor are gill netters. Any boat can be rigged to pull a trawl, from small outboard powered to 125 foot or bigger. most of the Laffite Skiffs here are rigged for bay shrimping, and they can run fast, into the upper 20s. There owners dont consider them trawlers. The big boys that pull in deep water are considered trawlers by there owners. Fishing behind a trawler in my 31 is a real adrenaline rush. You need to be there to believe it. Put the bow against his transom and push. Big cables on both sides, props bringing up blue water, throw in your cut bait chunks and your hook baits, cut the throttles and drift back in the prop wash. Then hang on, Yellofin tuna over 100 lb is the norm, some over 200. The big trawlers are impressive.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #96
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Another way to define "trawler" is to take away elements of the boat that you think make it a trawler and reconsider.

Older GB and NT are about as trawler as one can get.

Change them to gasoline power. Still a trawler? Yup.

Make them not fuel efficient. Still a trawler? Yup.

Make them fast. Still a trawler Yup.

Make them not seaworthy. Still a trawler? Yup.

Make it light. Still a trawler? Yup.

Make them look like something else. Still a trawler? NOPE.

Put a NT cabin on a Cruiser. Is it a trawler? Ask most anybody and they'd say it's a trawler.

The one thing that is essential to being a trawler is how the boat looks. Everything else is just details to talk about on TF.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #97
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Another way to define "trawler" is to take away elements of the boat that you think make it a trawler and reconsider.

Older GB and NT are about as trawler as one can get.

Change them to gasoline power. Still a trawler? Yup.

Make them not fuel efficient. Still a trawler? Yup.

Make them fast. Still a trawler Yup.

Make them not seaworthy. Still a trawler? Yup.

Make it light. Still a trawler? Yup.

Make them look like something else. Still a trawler? NOPE.

Put a NT cabin on a Cruiser. Is it a trawler? Ask most anybody and they'd say it's a trawler.

The one thing that is essential to being a trawler is how the boat looks. Everything else is just details to talk about on TF.
Correcto -
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #98
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
I thought a trawler had to have a displacement hull, am I wrong?
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #99
Guru

City: gulf coast
Bill:
In my opinion they do but as you can see by all the responses here there is little agreement. Everyone thinks a GB is a trawler as with an Island trader and all the Asian copies. Semi planning hulls all but people will buy pass a nice Hatteras ACMY for one of those brands because some marketing type named it a trawler.
bayview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:43 PM   #100
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
So what?

some people buy boats just because they look one way or the other, or have a certain name, or the fake interior wood looks to them better than real wood....they are usually not very experienced boaters or planning long voyages....but because they are the vast majority of boaters...they get to label boat and buy what they like.

I'm not so foolish to think because I represent 1% of boaters that my interpretation should rule.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote