Old 06-15-2014, 09:52 PM   #61
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Thanks Art but unlike your boat adding power to mine won't increase it's speed.
Bill

Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #62
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billylll View Post
Thanks Art but unlike your boat adding power to mine won't increase it's speed.
Bill
Bill

IMHO - No matter LOA (65' +/- or below, that is): Displacement, Planing, Sedan, Fly Bridge, Tri Cabin, Twins/Single Screw, Gas/Diesel, Catamaran or otherwise... etc, etc... for boats that are either completely or even pretty much self-contained; when they are used as fun cruisers or even for dock sitters = "Pleasure Cruiser"!

Happy Boat Nomenclature Daze! - Art

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:12 PM   #63
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
On the GulfStar 36, I do not know. The GulfStar motorsailers I have looked at have all been pure displacement hulls, mostly with twin Perkins 4-236s. I do love the old Perkins engines. Not much on the "manicoolers" but thats any easy fix. To my way of thinking the 4-236 is a really good trawler engine. I also like the 6-354. Both good solid reliable iron. If the 36 mk11 has the same hull then trawler it is, no doubt.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:14 PM   #64
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Trawlers are cool.

A trawler is whatever boat I own.

A trawler is not the boat you own.

Unless I think you have a cool boat, then it's a trawler.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:17 PM   #65
Guru

The problem with the Trawler designation is that this site is the Trawler forum and maybe there is no such thing as a Trawler? I for one would love to see the people running the site define what a trawler is and I am not looking for the cop out definition recently printed in a major boating publication defining a trawler as any boat you would like to cruise and spend time on there are lots of other words for that like boat.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:18 PM   #66
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Trawlers are cool.

A trawler is whatever boat I own.

A trawler is not the boat you own.

Unless I think you have a cool boat, then it's a trawler.

Perf!!
Old 06-15-2014, 10:21 PM   #67
Guru

My 36 Mark II has the Mazda Perkins 4-154M's similar to the 4-236M but obviously less hp 62hp per side. The hull out of the water looks to be a true displacement hull. I really don't know the answer but I'll be happy calling it my trawler.
Bill
Old 06-15-2014, 10:24 PM   #68
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
On a side note, You never hear a Krogen 42 owner calling his boat anything but a trawler or anyone else calling it anything else, it just is. If you own a true trawler you know it. If you dont and thats what you want it to be then you can just say it is and therefor thats what it is. But, very few of us actually "trawl" or even have a trawl net on the boat, let alone a pair of boards. I do carry a sport net and a little bitty set of trawl boards, just for rec. shrimp season. That still doesnt make my sporty a trawler.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:29 PM   #69
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
On a side note, You never hear a Krogen 42 owner calling his boat anything but a trawler or anyone else calling it anything else, it just is. If you own a true trawler you know it. If you dont and thats what you want it to be then you can just say it is and therefor thats what it is. But, very few of us actually "trawl" or even have a trawl net on the boat, let alone a pair of boards. I do carry a sport net and a little bitty set of trawl boards, just for rec. shrimp season. That still doesnt make my sporty a trawler.
Then, in your opinion, are they the only "true trawler?"
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:32 PM   #70
Guru

Seriously though, a trawler is a specific type and rigged commercial boat. Recreational boats called trawlers are typically heavy, slow displacement boats that can be operated at good economy.

If you ask the typical boater in a marina what a trawler is and they'll point to a Grand Banks or Monk designed tri cabin layout with a mast. If you asked that same person what a motor yacht is they'd likely point at a sundeck or flush deck model.

Is the above correct? Debatable. But since I pointed out in my humorous post that trawlers are cool, most all manufacturers and brokers call their boat trawlers to attract sales.

JMHO, YMMV

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 06-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #71
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Seriously though, a trawler is a specific type and rigged commercial boat. Recreational boats called trawlers are typically heavy, slow displacement boats that can be operated at good economy.

If you ask the typical boater in a marina what a trawler is and they'll point to a Grand Banks or Monk designed tri cabin layout with a mast. If you asked that same person what a motor yacht is they'd likely point at a sundeck or flush deck model.

Is the above correct? Debatable. But since I pointed out in my humorous post that trawlers are cool, most all manufacturers and brokers call their boat trawlers to attract sales.

JMHO, YMMV
"Yachts" is a word argued about just as much as "Trawlers". Everyone has their own opinion. We don't one a trawler or yacht or cruiser or sportsfisherman or downeaster or anything....just boats.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #72
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
"Yachts" is a word argued about just as much as "Trawlers". Everyone has their own opinion. We don't one a trawler or yacht or cruiser or sportsfisherman or downeaster or anything....just boats.

Tell that to the homeless man walking past the marina or the young couple just starting out in life spending a day on the waterfront. I doubt many of them have much trouble defining a yacht.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:51 PM   #73
Art
Guru

Quote:
When some people ask me what type boat we own... especially newbies dock side... I reply that our boat comes under the category of a "Thcay". Whereupon there is usually a breath and then moment of silence as they contemplate what I mean. Topic usually quickly changes!
Old 06-15-2014, 11:12 PM   #74
Guru

Then based on the hull I would be comfortable calling my 36 Gulfstar MarkII a full displacement pleasure cruiser. That'll work just fine for me.....
Bill
Old 06-15-2014, 11:56 PM   #75
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Hah! My boat's designer says it is a trawler yacht!

(Three sets of individuals walking by the Coot in the marina after it's four-hour outing today, said the boat is "beautiful." Most days, it is only one or two.)

When asked what kind of boat it is, I say it is a "Coot" produced by Seahorse Marine and is a slow, 14-ton motorboat with a single 80-horsepower engine and two steadying sails.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:02 AM   #76

City: Isleton, CA
Vessel Name: Anuenue
Vessel Model: Bayliner 2859 Classic
I'd state the definition of a trawler this way:

A boat with a displacement or semi-displacement hull and diesel power, typically with traditional styling, and with a design and features that emphasize comfort, range, and economy over speed.

Badda-bing, badda-boom. Done and done. Send in the next case!
Isleton, CA
geoffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:04 AM   #77
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffm View Post
I'd state the definition of a trawler this way:

A boat with a displacement or semi-displacement hull and diesel power, typically with traditional styling, and with a design and features that emphasized comfort, range, and economy over speed.

Badda-bing, badda-boom. Done and done. Send in the next case!
Not Bad! Not Bad at All!
Old 06-16-2014, 12:07 AM   #78
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Hah! My boat's designer says it is a trawler yacht!

(Three sets of individuals walking by the Coot in the marina after it's four-hour outing today, said the boat is "beautiful." Most days, it is only one or two.)

Well, they seem to not now....from their website...lol

"COOT" STEEL 35 FOOT COASTAL CRUISER
The "COOT" is a great pocket cruiser and may be the perfect boat if your plans include low cost safe "gunk-holing" along our coasts or exploring our great canals and rivers. It has a very strong steel hull, keel piece 12mm, bottom 5mm, 4mm hull and superstructure sides. Commercial windows, doors amd hatches. Probably the most seaworthy production yacht under 38 feet.

I see no mention of "trawler" on their site....
Old 06-16-2014, 12:20 AM   #79
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:

I see no mention of "trawler" on their site....
Correct. As previously mentioned, that adjective/noun is on the designer's site.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:28 AM   #80
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Correct. As previously mentioned, that adjective/noun is on the designer's site.
Aha.....designer and builder can't even agree and here we are.....Well, we think it's a beautiful coastal cruiser trawler yacht...