Old 06-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #221
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
SUVs will soon or at least eventually become cars that only old people think are cool.

One of my niece's knocked my Buick s an old barge (or something to that effect) but then I caught her talk'in up a big Ford Bronco as cool. I called her on it pointing that the Bronco had performance considerably inferior to my Buick. That my Buick was a sports car by comparison. I said "what's cool about it?". She thought for at least 10 seconds and said "at least it's short".

The thing about the cool things now is that they don't need to conform to basic principals of design. Design being an organized solution to a problem. The SUV came about only to create something different. If something new is vogue I have a problem w it only if serves no purpose other than being vogue. What is the functional purpose of wearing one's baseball hat backwards? Or pulled down so far that one's ears are partially inside the hat. And a four wheel drive PU for the bank clerk that throws mud on it to justify whatever.

Short lived fads have their place but millions of SUVs that serve no purpose other than being different than good vehicle designs is stupid.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:27 PM   #222
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
All this reminiscing does that suggest that trawlers what ever they are ,are the old man old girl boat type. Re; Studebaker and Packard, I drove a souped up barely street legal 56 Studebaker-Packard Golden Hawk back when. Definitely not an old mans machine.
Like Eyschulman, the great majority of frumpy vehicles I've owned were street sleepers. I greatly enjoyed out-performing the muscle cars of the era with my jalopies. My hoods always had a chain and padlock hanging on them, but beneath was always a surprise.

I'm not sure what happened to that part of me. Now I'm in a frumpy boat with almost 50 percent more HP than it came with, but Frouds Law has exchanged my tire smoking, full throttle burn-outs to unnoticeable prop turbulence.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #223
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: A trawler is whatever you wish it to be. It's the boat of your dreams, the one that allows you to see the beauty around, to visit the places you desire. And no one else can mess with your dream.
BINGO!

"PLEASURE" CRUISER is the operative thought pattern

Long as the boat is not a "Working" Trawler!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:37 PM   #224
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Sports cars, bathing suits, station wagons, SUV's, petroglyphs, high performance engines, classic cars, single or twin, planing hull, displacement or that moving target somewhere in between. Should you have authentic fish boat smell or a cheap imitation bottled and sold at the local WM?

This thread has everything except an answer for the OP's question of what is a trawler.
Just don't ask the scariest question of all...

What is a trawler owner?

You might get a thread that's wayyyyy too similar in drift....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:47 PM   #225
Art
Guru

Quote:
Wifey B: You know you dudes would have a much better chance of seeing topless girls on boats if you moved to warmer climates. I mean we have topless beaches. Not likely to have such in the PNW or even San Fran. And topless girls on boats in South Florida and the Caribbean all the time. Even our bathing suits. Just saying. Too cold up here to go topless though. Plus rain always in the forecast so have to keep rain gear handy.
Dear Fun Wifey B - - > You just don't know bout being deep into da SF Bay Delta's 1000 + miles of sloughs, islands, and deep rivers fed by the Sierra Nevadas! Warm, no rain, sun laden, not windy weather several months of year with warm, moving fresh water! Winters are fun too!

Luv ta swim!
Old 06-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #226
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Just don't ask the scariest question of all...

What is a trawler owner?

You might get a thread that's wayyyyy too similar in drift....
OMG - That thread may become a drifting encyclopedia on personalities, physical attributes, and desires... as well as past experiences. We are a pretty Cwazy group - if I do say so myself!
Old 06-20-2014, 03:12 PM   #227
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
We are a pretty Cwazy group - if I do say so myself!
Wifey B: Yes you are....hehe. I mean yes we are. But it's good that so many different people with a wide range of boats enjoy the water in much the same way. We might not agree on anything except the joy and pleasure of "trawlering", of being on the water and seeing things and places from there. We're not hung up on fancy or speed, on style or brand. It's not really about the boat even, it's what it allows us to do. We go from newbies to dudes with hundreds of years experience. And we're all crazy by some standards. I mean we can drive 50 miles for $20 in our car but we spend hundreds of thousands to go there by boat. Blinded by the water. But it's so wonderful. If this is crazy, then I'm sure glad I am.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #228
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Wifey B: Like this one?

It's sort of quirky funky cool. Now if they had it in a convertible I'd like it.

The Golden Hawk wasn't the beginning of Studebaker's "head turning" designs. Starting with the '49 (Raymond Lowey, I think), I think they began leading Ford and Chevy in the design world, at least for a while. The '53 (I think) Commander and President models really began moving design forward to some of the lines cars have today.

(Even if Detroit did take some weird detours along the way. The big jet-plane inspired fins, for example, were always ugly and useless, no matter what Harley Earl thought. IMO, of course.)

Studebaker-Packard had a nifty "hill holder" thing, which (usually) kept the car from rolling backwards on an incline when the clutch was in. I think designed for stopping at railroad level crossings. But I digress...

Pretty much along with everyone else on the thread.

Our boat is still not a trawler. Even when we run slow.

-Chris
Old 06-20-2014, 04:23 PM   #229
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post

I'm not sure what happened to that part of me. Now I'm in a frumpy boat with almost 50 percent more HP than it came with, but Frouds Law has exchanged my tire smoking, full throttle burn-outs to unnoticeable prop turbulence.
Lol. Really. I did.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #230

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
This is my idea of a "real trawler". I'd love to own one of these Norwegian classics!

Beautiful video....

Old 06-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #231
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ranger42c wrote
"Studebaker-Packard had a nifty "hill holder" thing, which (usually) kept the car from rolling backwards on an incline when the clutch was in."

That's no longer a has-been feature. My 2014 VW Jetta has it.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:05 PM   #232
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashon_Trawler View Post

Beautiful video....

I see why. That old one lunger gliding along looks nice.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:17 AM   #233
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Careful Pete, as a medico, you know the dangers of high blood pressure.

That's why,I will not mention last nights game,not a word (actually the game was complete rubbish, unlike the gallant Socceroo's)
Sorry, bit late seeing this Andy. Yeah, I'm ok with it actually. The Maroons were a bit over-confident, and if they had one 9 series in a row, I think NSW might have started to lose interest. Now even the dead rubber will be a cracker, and certainly next year will. Actually I don't get my BP up over Rugby Luuureeague anyway, Andy...I'm a Socceroo follower...and All Black follower in the Union, although I like the Wallabies to win unless it's against the Blacks, and now and again, as with the Origin, I don't begrudge then (Wallabies) having a win over them even.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:27 AM   #234
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
This thread has everything except an answer for the OP's question of what is a trawler.
Yeah…we did tell him…as Wifey B said, you just have to tease it out. But if you want a one-liner…

A recreational trawler is a boat that looks quite like a fishing trawler, (because it sure as anything is not a 'speed-boat'), but isn't.
There yah go...
Old 06-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #235
Guru

Maybe there is no such thing as a recreational trawler. And when a working trawler is converted to recreational use it loses it's moniker, but maybe not its fish stink.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #236
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Ranger42c wrote
"Studebaker-Packard had a nifty "hill holder" thing, which (usually) kept the car from rolling backwards on an incline when the clutch was in."

That's no longer a has-been feature. My 2014 VW Jetta has it.

Progress!

-Chris
Old 06-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #237
Guru

City: gulf coast
Here is a trawler you guys should like

[img][/img]
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #238

City: Szczecin
Vessel Name: HOA
Vessel Model: Long-cours.62
We looking at your lady under sails

And we just remember we don't show our under her "flashy" dress !
As you can see she is not a trawler she is a...euh, who say : "euh..gly" !?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0508.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	30832   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0532.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	30833  
long-cours.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #239
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Quote:

Wifey B: You know you dudes would have a much better chance of seeing topless girls on boats if you moved to warmer climates. I mean we have topless beaches. Not likely to have such in the PNW or even San Fran. And topless girls on boats in South Florida and the Caribbean all the time. Even our bathing suits. Just saying. Too cold up here to go topless though. Plus rain always in the forecast so have to keep rain gear handy.
Teddybear Cove in Bellingham.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #240

City: Biloxi

That's my trawler, it's a GulfStart 43 foot...pretty much a good example of a trawler!

stevebgrpc is offline   Reply With Quote