Old 06-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #201
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I think Nash would have been my second guess, but from memory I expected that shape to be older than '50. Carry over from post-war (which were mostly pre-war) designs... So much for memory. In this case, looks like the change started in '49, largely evidenced by incorporating the wheel wells into the main body, versus the protruding fenders of the '48s...

Two different renditions of "bullet-nose," on the Studebaker and the Buick.

-Chris
I had a 4 door 59 Studebaker Lark wow did that not impress the girls in high school!
Bill

Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #202
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
You have an advantage on us as many of you can remember riding in these cars you're discussing. To us, they're only cars we've seen in car shows. I think the one that surprised us most was when we sat in a Packard once at a show. We did not realize they were such large luxury vehicles.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #203
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Yeah, I remember driving our '53 Studebaker pickup...

-Chris
Old 06-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #204
Guru

City: gulf coast
Quote:
I had a 4 door 59 Studebaker Lark wow did that not impress the girls in high school
Fortunately the HS girls impressed by the cars owned by HS boys probably would not impress you today.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #205
Guru

It seems that we have concluded that what is often called trawlers and 1950 Nashs have a lot in common. Form is much more important than function and neither particularly well suited for their intended purpose.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #206
Guru

Wifey B: You dudes sure lost me around the point of Studebaker's and Nash's. Next it's going to be model T's. Or was the horse and buggy the trawler of it's period? Of course won't be long till we mention Oldsmobile and younger people say "What's that?" Then I'll feel old. Say "Plymouth" now and the word association will be "Rock". I do think some of the older cars are cute but don't think I'd want to drive them every day.

I do laugh at SUV's. They're freaking station wagons you know. I mean like for real. Everyone makes fun of station wagons and they died. You only see them on old tv shows. Now SUV's. Now you tell me what's the difference in an Escalade and a station wagon? We have a Mercedes station wagon I guess...And vans? They're buses.

A rose by any name still has thorns....
Old 06-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #207
Guru

The difference is that nobody knows where the station is any more. R
Old 06-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #208
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
If you frequent auto enthusiast websites, you'll find estate cars and station wagons are cool to young people. Go figure.

I loved my Volvo 740 turbo and I still like my HJ62 Land Cruiser.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #209
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
If you frequent auto enthusiast websites, you'll find estate cars and station wagons are cool to young people. Go figure.

I loved my Volvo 740 turbo and I still like my HJ62 Land Cruiser.
Wifey B: Yeah even cool to those who had they been alive back then wouldn't have been caught dead in one. We're funny how we choose particular things to like. Almost everyone collects something. And how we end up on the something we choose, who knows. Makes you wonder what of the things we use today people will collect 30 years and 50 years from now. I mean look around you and think of all the modern conveniences which will be non existent and obsolete.

Scene 30 years from now: "I collect hybrids. Well, yes, they had them because they couldn't go far enough on batteries so had to have both. I know. What a waste. They are cute though. They were so backwards back then weren't they."

Another scene: "Microwaves. Yes, dangerous too. We all couldn't have worn our heart stimuli back then. And they were so proud of 3 minutes warming. And now we just set it on the pad and 5 seconds, it's warm. But that was the olden days."
Old 06-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #210
Guru

All this reminiscing does that suggest that trawlers what ever they are ,are the old man old girl boat type. Re; Studebaker and Packard, I drove a souped up barely street legal 56 Studebaker-Packard Golden Hawk back when. Definitely not an old mans machine.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #211
Veteran Member

City: NH
Ouch. I drive a 1994 MB station wagon. And I like what I think may be Trawlers. I was cool once upon a time. Shit.
Jobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #212
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
All this reminiscing does that suggest that trawlers what ever they are ,are the old man old girl boat type. Re; Studebaker and Packard, I drove a souped up barely street legal 56 Studebaker-Packard Golden Hawk back when. Definitely not an old mans machine.
Wifey B: Like this one? Click image for larger version

Name:	450px-Studebaker_Golden_Hawk_early.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	30694

It's sort of quirky funky cool. Now if they had it in a convertible I'd like it.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #213
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Sports cars, bathing suits, station wagons, SUV's, petroglyphs, high performance engines, classic cars, single or twin, planing hull, displacement or that moving target somewhere in between. Should you have authentic fish boat smell or a cheap imitation bottled and sold at the local WM?

This thread has everything except an answer for the OP's question of what is a trawler.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:45 PM   #214
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I (and many others) feel that my power everything, AC'd 67 Wildcat "Luxo Muscle Car" is cool! May fire up its professional race car machinest rebuilt 430 cid, 360 hp cross-over-piped dual exhaust late today - or Monday! Vrooom Vrooooom!!

Everything is original. Might off-market improve intake manifold and carburation once broken in... we'll see.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #215
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Sports cars, bathing suits, station wagons, SUV's, petroglyphs, high performance engines, classic cars, single or twin, planing hull, displacement or that moving target somewhere in between. Should you have authentic fish boat smell or a cheap imitation bottled and sold at the local WM?

This thread has everything except an answer for the OP's question of what is a trawler.
Wifey B: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo to fish smell.

And the thread did answer his question...Just have to consider it all. Then you know. It is what it is to each person and that's not the same to any two. The totally off the wall, off track, surrender...that answers. There is no simple answer.

It's like asking a group of people what they believe in. Now, me personally, I believe in making it broad and inclusive. I'm not exclusive country club type girl. They want to join in as trawler folk, I don't care what they drive.

But wash it so it doesn't smell like fish, please.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:48 PM   #216
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I (and many others) feel that my power everything, AC'd 67 Wildcat "Luxo Muscle Car" is cool! May fire up its professional race car machinest rebuilt 430 cid, 360 hp cross-over-piped dual exhaust late today - or Monday! Vrooom Vrooooom!!

Everything is original. Might off-market improve intake manifold and carburation once broken in... we'll see.
Wifey B: And hubby and I each have our sports cars and with us only putting like 4000 miles a year we might keep them like you have. So 40 years from now we'll be the ones with hot old cars.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:49 PM   #217
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Following up on CP, a trawler must be a smelly, converted shrimper w/twin 1,900 HP MTUs, with a 1950 Hudson on the deck and a topless lady driving from a flybridge. The only real question not answered here is: "What kind of anchor should it have?"
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #218
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post
Following up on CP, a trawler must be a smelly, converted shrimper w/twin 1,900 HP MTUs, with a 1950 Hudson on the deck and a topless lady driving from a flybridge. The only real question not answered here is: "What kind of anchor should it have?"
A Big One... with toppless lady pilot's twin bending over the bow rail to pull it up and dunk it for cleaning as needed! Of course, being toplesssss tooooo!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #219
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
A Big One... with toppless lady pilot's twin bending over the bow rail to pull it up and dunk it for cleaning as needed! Of course, being toplesssss tooooo!!
Wifey B: You know you dudes would have a much better chance of seeing topless girls on boats if you moved to warmer climates. I mean we have topless beaches. Not likely to have such in the PNW or even San Fran. And topless girls on boats in South Florida and the Caribbean all the time. Even our bathing suits. Just saying. Too cold up here to go topless though. Plus rain always in the forecast so have to keep rain gear handy.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #220
Guru

Wifey B: A trawler is whatever you wish it to be. It's the boat of your dreams, the one that allows you to see the beauty around, to visit the places you desire. And no one else can mess with your dream.