What size inverter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
I'm redoing a number of things after surviving Irma here in Marathon. At the moment I have 6 new T105s and two 130 watt solar panels. Small portable 2000 watt generator and I'm living on the mooring ball. My Norcold nrf60 qt. 12v cooler died and I lost the lid in the storm. I have no confidence in getting this one repaired as its the second one that died the same way... I have 9.9 cu ft home depot ac fridge freezer that worked great for four years but died I think from using unclean power from a construction generator. Not sure. The same fridge is on sale now for $198 and it fits perfectly in my galley. Its just me on the boat and I'd like to purchase a new inverter that will run that fridge. Would a 2500 watt be enough? I don't mind running the generator a couple if hours a day if I have to. Considering buying an Engle cooler but that's a lot of money too. Thoughts?

To properly size am inverter you need to do an inventory of your AC requirements , including everything that you will want to be on at the same time. So for example, if you want to be heating water (1500 watts ) on inverter (I wouldn't ) that would push your minimum size way up.
For just a fridge, check the label for the power required. Add some reserve.
DC fridges are WAY smaller consumers of batteries.

Do you have a dc fridge? I had a 60 qt Norcold fridge OR freezer and I hated it tried to keep it just above freezing but it was always a pain. Not enough room or place for a head of lettuce without it freezing or having to move things around all the time my 9.9 ft top freezer fridge is perfect... How much for one that size that's 12v? $1200? I can't afford to spend that much right now.. If it breaks like my Norcolds did right after the warranty expired? Repair part is $300 plus labor plus getting it out of the boat, to the shop, and back again, when you have no car and only a kayak to the marina? I'm 67, just had 30% if my liver removed because of cancer, and I'm living in my ss only at the moment. Will be back driving a cab in a few weeks but I don't have a lot of cash...

Pick up a copy of Nigel Calder's "Boat Owners Mechanical and Electrical Manual". The first three chapters will help you learn all the issues with your electrical systems, especially this one, in easy to understand fashion. Chapter three in particular.

Your 120V AC fridge will draw 2-3 amps even if it isn't an efficient Energy Star one. That is 360 watts at most. A 500 watt inverter will run it fine.

David

Kisae Abso 2000 inverter on my boat from West Marine. Yep, off brand. Yep, not a $2,000.00 inverter. Yep, has worked perfectly running everything including fridge for 3 years now. And we lived on board for 1.5 of those years. Try happy with it. $589.00 at West Marine.

Back
Top Bottom