Old 08-05-2016, 08:16 PM   #1

City: Blaine
Vessel Name: Slow Bells
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38
what should replace my old HVAC?

My AC died today, and I am wondering where to go from here.

The unit is/was a Lunaire Marine LPSC-16HR. I think that means 16,000 BTU, but I'm not real sure. Up to now, it functioned as AC (12.5 amps) in the summer, and as a heater (14.5 amps) in winter. It's the only HVAC unit on my 37' trawler. It was powered from it's own shore power connection, and could also be run off the generator. It was liquid cooled, and lived in the bottom of a hanging locker. I hear the company went out of business. I know that 115 volts AC is getting to the unit, but nothing inside the unit shows any sign of life.

My questions are:
  1. Am I correct that I should get rid of this dinosaur, rather than try to revive it?
  2. What should replace it? (I live aboard in Norfolk VA year round)
  3. Can I replace it myself, or do I need to hire someone that can legally mess with whatever exotic refrigerant they are using now?
seattleboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:49 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Depends on what you mean by "died".

But if it really did die then go new.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:03 PM   #3
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
If it does not attempt to power up at all, could be something simple and electrical. Most of these units are really quite similar, any decent hvac guy should be able to troubleshoot.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:15 AM   #4
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Depends.....do you spend $150 to have it assessed before diving into a $2-3K replacement.
Personally I would.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:46 AM   #5

City: Freeport Tx
Think it would be worth checking it out I had one 36yrs old that stopped working all ot was that a bad wire on the compressor
Pure pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:09 AM   #6
FF
Guru

Norfolk gets cold in the winter.

Depending on how you now heat , kero, diesel or electric should be part of the choice.

IF you pay for electric and use it for heat , tossing the "marine" unit and installing a Mini Split could be a better investment. .Mitsubishi makes one.

These work 300% to 500% more efficiently at creating heat , even in minus F outside temperatures.

They also allow EZ zone heating or cooling.

HVAC is a system , not just a component.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

Depending on how you now heat , kero, diesel or electric should be part of the choice.

IF you pay for electric and use it for heat , tossing the "marine" unit and installing a Mini Split could be a better investment. .Mitsubishi makes one.

These work 300% to 500% more efficiently at creating heat , even in minus F outside temperatures.

You continually recommend replacing marina a/c systems with home split units. And while they are great units, for the life of me I can't figure out where you think the compressor unit on a split systems is going to be mounted on say a 37' trawler. On the fly bridge?

And then what wall would you mount the fan unit on?

Or do you envision that mounting on the ceiling?
Old 08-06-2016, 09:22 AM   #8
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:

While the home mini-split systems may be the "Bee's knees and a bag of nuts" ( I have one in my garage at home). Those of us who actually care about the looks of our boats will most likely will find another system to provide for our climate control needs. The longevity of a system using painted sheet metal and home components subjected to salt spray will in my opinion not have a reasonable service life and early replacement cost must be factored into any energy savings.

I have looked and except for freshwater house boats I have never seen this system on a saltwater cruiser. Nuff said.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:32 AM   #9
Guru

I would highly recommend (I have 2 16800btu units) the Ocean breeze company, it is building units for the US Navy and USCG as well as being used by mega yachts and commercial boats world wide.

Over the counter components (uses home type thermostat) with no computer board or proprietary circuits, any home AC service guy can work on and prices are cheaper then other units.

Made in the USA

Self-contained Marine AC Units - Ocean Breeze Mfd. by Quorum Marine & Electronics, Inc.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #10

City: Blaine
Vessel Name: Slow Bells
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
I would highly recommend (I have 2 16800btu units) the Ocean breeze company...
Those look like pretty nice units. I'll check them out. My current boat is the first boat I have owned with the built-in heater and AC. Are the Ocean Breeze units something that a reasonably competent boater slob like me could install, or does this type of system require some kind of HVAC guy to come install it?
seattleboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:21 PM   #11
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Any of the single unit A/Cs can be installed by the average handy man. All there is to do is run a little plumbing and electrical work.

If replacing and the wiring is adequate...dead simple....

If a complete new install, the pump and plumbing can be a challenge, but the theory is not complicated at all.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #12
FF
Guru

"I have looked and except for freshwater house boats I have never seen this system on a saltwater cruiser. Nuff said."

I respectfully suggest a trip to Euroland , ,with a visit to the North Sea or a trip to Turkey and a ride on the Bosphorus. Sea.

Many boats have a solid wall in front of their oxygen tent , might be a spot to mount the outside unit.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Quote:
I would highly recommend (I have 2 16800btu units) the Ocean breeze company, it is building units for the US Navy and USCG as well as being used by mega yachts and commercial boats world wide.

Over the counter components (uses home type thermostat) with no computer board or proprietary circuits, any home AC service guy can work on and prices are cheaper then other units.

Made in the USA

Self-contained Marine AC Units - Ocean Breeze Mfd. by Quorum Marine & Electronics, Inc.
He will also configure the new unit (if possible) to fit the old unit. Just tell him exactly what you now have and he can normally make the new unit a slip in replacement. Great service!
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:54 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
"I have looked and except for freshwater house boats I have never seen this system on a saltwater cruiser. Nuff said."

I respectfully suggest a trip to Euroland , ,with a visit to the North Sea or a trip to Turkey and a ride on the Bosphorus. Sea.

Many boats have a solid wall in front of their oxygen tent , might be a spot to mount the outside unit.
So in Euroland where do they install the compressor/s?

And do they run multible air handlers and put one in each room?

Do you have any pictures of these Euro common installations?
Old 08-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleboatguy View Post
Those look like pretty nice units. I'll check them out. My current boat is the first boat I have owned with the built-in heater and AC. Are the Ocean Breeze units something that a reasonably competent boater slob like me could install, or does this type of system require some kind of HVAC guy to come install it?

Psneeld is absolutely right, if replacing a unit, it is dead simple as long as the wiring and plumbing is up to snuff. I did both of my units in 3 days and that included splitting the raw water plumbing to include 2 pumps and separate the raw water system to make the units isolated except for the inlet strainer and sea valve. I also replaced the old company t-stats with Honeywell (Big box store) t-stats so I could control them via the internet using my cell phone app.

Hardest part was removing and replacing the units due to access and weight, hook up was three wires and some hoses and hose clamps and some duct tape. I can get my boat to 69^ on a 88^ day and even cooler at night.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:

I'm sure they are very happy with their choices in Euroland, however short lived and rust stained they may be (remember I have one and I know how well they hold up being just near the coast let alone being on the water) but I live here and am responding to the OP regarding his US boat.

Respectively, where do you have the components on your boat installed miny-split system, photos?
Old 08-06-2016, 03:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Islamorada, FL
Vessel Name: Panacea
Vessel Model: Marine Builders, Voyager 70
Quote:

Made in the USA

+1 on the Ocean Breeze. I have 7 of their units on my boat plus 2 more on my Gulf Star 36. Made in USA and support is excellent. All stainless construction is another plus.

Edited to add: Did the installs myself. As stated above, if the electric and plumbing is already there its a matter of yanking out the old and plugging in the new. Two raw water hoses, 1 drain hose, connect the ducting, and a few wires.
Panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:03 PM   #18
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Quote:

A mini split on a cruising boat?? Those things can't stand up to salt mist. We use them at the beach towns and the salt air destroys them. It would be worse on a boat.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:48 PM   #19
Guru

City: kemah
Does the ocean breeze units have or allow a multi-zone controller?
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
Does the ocean breeze units have or allow a multi-zone controller?

Great question, I don't know, but the owner is an engineer and they advertise that they do custom work so I bet they would. Give them a call, I would love to hear from you regarding the answer.