Old 08-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #21
Guru

City: Washington NC Waterfront
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTEDAVIS View Post
I would highly recommend (I have 2 16800btu units) the Ocean breeze company, it is building units for the US Navy and USCG as well as being used by mega yachts and commercial boats world wide.
After doing a lot of reading and studying here, I'll be going with Ocean Breeze when (and if) my 25 yr. old Mermaid ever bites the dust..

Old 08-07-2016, 04:46 PM   #22
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Great question, I don't know, but the owner is an engineer and they advertise that they do custom work so I bet they would. Give them a call, I would love to hear from you regarding the answer.
I think I will, I need 3 units.

The ac's in my RV have a central display panel that controls the temp of each zone. So its definitely doable.

Although I would rather all metal (including copper) be clad with something. The clad'ed copper pipe the boat uses for steering is like night and day considering corrosion.

what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #23

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: St Christopher
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 50ft tri-cabin
I put 6 units (Marineaire) in my trawler 8-16000btu (16000btu $1550 each). Working fine. Couple of hiccups over the last 3 years. The aftersales service from the company has been incredible. They always follow up to make sure problems are fixed etc. Parts are shipped same day etc. Could not praise there service enough.
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:58 PM   #24

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Name: Slow Bells
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38
update

I hired a local marine HVAC guy to look at my 30 year old Lunaire unit. He found 2 problems:
  1. two scary-looking melted wires behind controller panel
  2. compressor was shorting to ground
The guy basically signed the death certificate on the Lunaire. He wants to sell me a new unit by Dometic, which apparently bought out Cruisair. But, I'm impressed by what I read about Ocean Breeze. I see that you can optionally order an Ocean Breeze unit with electric heat, which would be nice here in Norfolk on those winter mornings when we get a skim of ice on the marina water. But, more expensive to use, I assume.
seattleboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:04 AM   #25
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleboatguy View Post
I hired a local marine HVAC guy to look at my 30 year old Lunaire unit. He found 2 problems:
  1. two scary-looking melted wires behind controller panel
  2. compressor was shorting to ground
The guy basically signed the death certificate on the Lunaire. He wants to sell me a new unit by Dometic, which apparently bought out Cruisair. But, I'm impressed by what I read about Ocean Breeze. I see that you can optionally order an Ocean Breeze unit with electric heat, which would be nice here in Norfolk on those winter mornings when we get a skim of ice on the marina water. But, more expensive to use, I assume.

Ask your marine AC guy what the computer board cost on the Dometic unit, all the electrical components in the OB units are large relays and are available over the counter at any dirt house AC shop and no microprocessors anywhere to be found.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:37 AM   #26

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Name: Slow Bells
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 38
Quote:
Ask your marine AC guy what the computer board cost on the Dometic unit, all the electrical components in the OB units are large relays and are available over the counter at any dirt house AC shop and no microprocessors anywhere to be found.
I think I will go with the Ocean Breeze. I like what I hear about them on this forum, they were very knowledgeable and helpful when I called them on the phone yesterday, and the price was right. I was initially toying with the idea of a unit with electric heat, but after checking around, I'm thinking that reverse cycle might work out better for me, with maybe the addition of a diesel heater somewhere down the line for the colder months.

seattleboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote