What should I have done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My perhaps incorrect understanding is that boaters over a certain age and/or over a certain time of experience are exempted (grandfathered) from the WA and CDN programs.

I may be wrong on the experience thing, but I recall reading about the age exemption from at least the WA requirement when it was announced. I'm not sure at all about an exemption from the CDN program.

My perhaps incorrect understanding is that boaters over a certain age and/or over a certain time of experience are exempted (grandfathered) from the WA and CDN programs.

I may be wrong on the experience thing, but I recall reading about the age exemption from at least the WA requirement when it was announced. I'm not sure at all about an exemption from the CDN program.

You are correct in regards to the WA boaters education card. Essentially, they phased it in by birth date. In 2008, anyone 20 years old or younger had to have it. Every year, they increased the age by five years so that in 2012, those 40 years old and younger had to have it. At that point they increased the age 10 years per year until 2014 when the age was capped at 59. So anyone who was 60 or older in 2014 was not required to get the card at all. At 57, I was required to have the card by 2014, but got it about 5 years ago I think. My Mom, at 81 years, never has to get one.

I think it is a good program.

My new auto pilot will follow the waypoints that my GPS or computer gives it. If I want to avoid a hazard, then come back onto the course to the next waypoint, the software will turn the boat abruptly and go all the way back to the exact line it was on before the maneuver. I don't like to do that, so when the avoidance is done, I don't re-engage the "track" feature until I get to the next waypoint, unless I am so clear of others that a sharp turn towards the previous track will not create any hazard.
I am sure that when I am the stand on vessel and a give way vessel isn't giving way, I will assume he is utilizing his own "track" feature and get relatively close before adjusting his course. My wife and I have had several discussions of this happening, and so far, the other guys have all eventually adjusted their course. Never as quickly as she would like, but always soon enough to stay out of our way. I remain ready to alter course before it gets too late.

I'm not sure at all about an exemption from the CDN program.
There is no age or experience exemption in Canada.
Anyone operating any pleasure craft equipped with a motor must have and carry a proof of competency card issued by a recognized issuer.
The only acceptations are the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.

Foreign operators must have and carry a competency certificate recognized by their resident state. That certificate permits pleasure boating in Canada for 45 consecutive days.

Pop into AK on the 45th day for 24 hours and the clock is reset.

Last edited:
Foreign operators must have and carry a competency certificate recognized by their resident state. That certificate permits pleasure boating in Canada for 45 consecutive days.

Pop into AK on the 45th day for 24 hours and the clock is reset.

What about foreign operators from states with no competency requirement or in which the boater is exempt from a competency certificate? The wording of your statement indicates that in these cases, the 45 day limit in Canada would not apply.

What about foreign operators from states with no competency requirement or in which the boater is exempt from a competency certificate? The wording of your statement indicates that in these cases, the 45 day limit in Canada would not apply.
A good question and bureaucracies being what they are, who knows.
Not trying to elude the question and I will endeavour to find out.

A non certified Canadian resident has 60 days from date of purchase to acquire a certificate so it seems there is wiggle room.

I'll be back.

...I'm back.
The answer man left the office 15 minutes ago.
I'll be on to him bright and early tomorrow.

Last edited:
So anyone who was 60 or older in 2014 was not required to get the card at all.
Dave;
Unless I am reading it wrong, there is a contradiction in the WA age exemption.

Section (3)(a) through (j) lists all the exemptions including age, then Section (4) negates Section (3)(j) Any person born before January 1, 1955.

Is that in reference to the January 1, 2016 total phase in date?
January 1, 2016 - All boat operators.

If age is no longer an exemption then there are likely a lot of WA Boomers cruising around WA and BC unaware they are, um, certifiable.

(3) The following persons are not required to carry a boater education card:

(a) The operator of a vessel engaged in a lawful commercial fishery operation as licensed by the department of fish and wildlife under Title 77 RCW. However, the person when operating a vessel for recreational purposes must carry either a valid commercial fishing license issued by the department of fish and wildlife or a boater education card;

(b) Any person who possesses a valid marine operator license issued by the United States coast guard when operating a vessel authorized by such coast guard license. However, the person when operating a vessel for recreational purposes must carry either a valid marine operator license issued by the United States coast guard or a boater education card;

(c) Any person who is legally engaged in the operation of a vessel that is exempt from vessel registration requirements under chapter 88.02 RCW and applicable rules and is used for purposes of law enforcement or official government work. However, the person when operating a vessel for recreational purposes must carry a boater education card;

(d) Any person at least twelve years old renting, chartering, or leasing a motor driven boat or vessel with an engine power of fifteen horsepower or greater who completes a commission-approved motor vessel safety operating and equipment checklist each time before operating the motor driven boat or vessel, except that an operator of a personal watercraft shall comply with the age requirements under RCW 79A.60.190;

(e) Any person who is not a resident of Washington state and who does not operate a motor driven boat or vessel with an engine power of fifteen horsepower or greater in waters of the state for more than sixty consecutive days;

(f) Any person who is not a resident of Washington state and who holds a current out-of-state or out-of-country certificate or card that is equivalent to the rules adopted by the commission;

(g) Any person who has purchased the boat or vessel within the last sixty days, and has a bill of sale in his or her possession to document the date of purchase;

(h) Any person, including those less than twelve years of age, who is involved in practicing for, or engaging in, a permitted racing event where a valid document has been issued by the appropriate local, state, or federal government agency for the event, and is available for inspection on-site during the racing event;

(i) Any person who is not yet required to have a boater education card under the phased schedule in RCW 79A.60.630(2)(a); and

(j) Any person born before January 1, 1955.

(4) Except as provided in subsection (3)(a) through (i) of this section, a boater must carry a boater education card while operating a vessel and is required to present the boater education card, or alternative license as provided in subsection (3)(a) and (b) of this section, to a law enforcement officer upon request.

Last edited:
Yeah but...
The competency exam can be taken online and someone else can do it for you.
A certificate of competency can be issued by completing a rental boat safety checklist.

BTW, in case our neighbours did not know...
US citizens can use their State competency certificate (if there is one) in Canadian waters, for up to 45 days before requiring a Canadian Certificate.

In Queensland anyway, we have to not only do the theoretical and written test, (not online, but under supervision), but a live practical boat handling course and test as well. Your car licence then has this endorsement added to it, and it is renewed at the same time.

Boats that travel at slower displacement speeds under 10 knots used to be exempt, (sounds like they still are in New South Wales), but in Queensland, from about 10 years ago, a licence is required for all vessels powered by a motor over, I think, ~ 6hp. Well, here is the exact wording...

"You must have a marine licence to drive a recreational boat that has an engine power greater than 4.5kW. You don't need to carry your licence with you on the water, but you must have proof of identity with you. You can verify your licence online."

Last edited:
Dave again;
Never mind, I just read 79A.60.630(2)(a).
Looks like after Jan 1, 2016 everyone is required to have a card, including mom.

Thanks Hawgwash, you are right. I hadn't looked at it for a long time and never saw the last few years of phase in. IMO, I think it is a good move.

What about foreign operators from states with no competency requirement or in which the boater is exempt from a competency certificate?

Marin;
Answer man didn't have the answer so, after 6 redirects, this is what I am told by Transport Canada but don't take my word for it.

All non-residents are exempt from Proof of Competency for 44 days.
State issued certificates are good for the duration.
Residents from states without certification would be required to obtain a Canadian certificate after 44 days, as would exempt residents.

These are currently the states with no mandatory certification.
http://www.americasboatingcourse.com/lawsbystate.cfm

When you think about it is a little unsettling to know someone from WY can buy a big boat in Seattle and head up our coast to AK, completely unqualified to do so.

If you think having a boater competency card makes a boater competent, think again. It's no different than a driving license. The requirements are minimaal and the bar is set so low I suspect our dog could get one outside of not being able to sign his name.

And it is obviously totally unenforced as I don't know anyone who actually has the card. Some of the boaters in the club we're in have never even heard of the program and these are people who have been boating for decades.

And since I was born before 1955 I'm going to go with that version of the requirement, not the other one. It's the state's responsibility to get their act together, not mine.

As you can see, as a former sailor I tried 5 short blasts to get this stupid ship out of my way, but the ignorant pilot just kept going.

10115-albums347-picture2320.jpg

Richard

Rich: I sure hope he didn't drop anchor as a last resort! Love that 54 KK by the way!

If you think having a boater competency card makes a boater competent, think again.

It doesn't, but I know that it has increased the awareness and knowledge for some people, who may otherwise have had no exposure to the subjects at all.

Cheaters will cheat, and idiots will remain idiots, no matter what activity they participate in.

If you think having a boater competency card makes a boater competent, think again. It's no different than a driving license. The requirements are minimal and the bar is set so low I suspect our dog could get one outside of not beingable to sign his name.
And it is obviously totally unenforced as I don't know anyone who actually has the card. Some of the boaters in the club we're in have never even heard of the program and these are people who have been boating for decades.

And since I was born before 1955 I'm going to go with that version of the requirement, not the other one. It's the state's responsibility to get their act together, not mine.

Oh Marin, don't turn hypocrite on me now. Almost everything you said above flies in the face of so much I've read from you about doing or trying to do the right and proper thing.

"I didn't know and besides, no one I know does it" won't cut it when the wheels fall off.

Over...

Last edited:

When you think about it is a little unsettling to know someone from WY can buy a big boat in Seattle and head up our coast to AK, completely unqualified to do so.

That's me. Almost. I'm from CA, bought a big boat in AK and brought it down the coast to Anacortes, and then to SF. No formal training and no boating licenses of any sort. Scary isn't it?

Richard
Stillwater
KK54 #5

Rich: I sure hope he didn't drop anchor as a last resort! Love that 54 KK by the way!

Hah - the depth where we were ranges from 200-300'+. So it would be quite an undertaking to anchor!

Thanks for the nice comment.

Richard

That's me. Almost. I'm from CA, bought a big boat in AK and brought it down the coast to Anacortes, and then to SF. No formal training and no boating licenses of any sort. Scary isn't it?Richard
StillwaterKK54 #5
Richard, I hadn't noticed before, is Thursday feisty day?
You gave me a good idea though...
I'm gonna open a jug of Crown Royal, throw away the lid, go grab a big old Softail Classic and head down to Ramona just for fun.
Screw the laws, they don't apply to me anyway, right?

Incorrect. It means pilot vessel on station.

Jdcave: I hope you don't move again until you find and fix this phantom pthrottyl issue.

The use of one prolonged whistle is a very good method of alerting others to your presence. In fact it's mentioned in Colregs. One prolonged is NOT a passing signal. It is an attention signal. One or two SHORT blasts are proper passing signals (excepting in narrow channels, overtaking((international))

One of the very few times I needed to make a maneuvering signal was when a half-dozen motoring boats approached from the opposite direction. They were spaced in-line about 1/8 to 1/4 mile apart, "elephant" style, obviously a club cruise-out event considering their club burgees. All but the last boat passed by about 1/16 mile to my starboard. The last vessel, however, was headed directly toward me, head-on. We were approaching each other at about a combined speed of 12 knots. Thinking he wanted to keep following his fellow vessels, I made two short signals signifying a starboard-to-starboard meet. He didn't respond with a signal, but I turned to port when we were about 80 yards apart. He responded to my turn immediately by turning to his port, accomplishing a starboard-to-starboard pass.

If you think having a boater competency card makes a boater competent, think again. It's no different than a driving license. The requirements are minimaal and the bar is set so low I suspect our dog could get one outside of not being able to sign his name.

I understand your point. I have a card, and other than the nice refresher in the general rules of the road (never a bad thing) it didn't improve my capabilities. I am a reasonably competent skipper in PNW waters for sailboats. However, that same card would allow me to operate your GB, something that I am most definitely NOT qualified to do.

However, I hope you get the card. It would be a shame to not have it the next time you are stopped by the CG for a random inspection. I even had to produce it during a random inspection by the City of Olympia a couple of years ago. It would be quick and easy for you to do.

However, I hope you get the card. It would be a shame to not have it the next time you are stopped by the CG for a random inspection.

I'll be happy to get one when and if the state ever gets their act together and figures out which qualifications apply. Right now I'm going on the "Born before 1955" requirement and will wave that in their face if someone ever asks for a card, which I suspect, knowing this state, is so remote a possibility that it's not worth worrying about.:)

And I doubt the USCG actually cares if one has the card or not since it's nothing to do with them. We've been boarded twice and all they cared about was our documentation. They didn't want to see the state registration papers even when we offered them, telling us that state requirements were not their concern.

BTW, here are the opening lines of the official site of the Washington State Boater's card:

"Born on or after January 1st, 1955?
You must have a Washington State Boater Education Card to operate a motorized watercraft of 15 HP or more."

So not anything I need to be concerned about.

Richard, I hadn't noticed before, is Thursday feisty day?
You gave me a good idea though...
I'm gonna open a jug of Crown Royal, throw away the lid, go grab a big old Softail Classic and head down to Ramona just for fun.
Screw the laws, they don't apply to me anyway, right?

Thursday? Nothing special about Thursday. Every day is feisty day for me!

I don't believe I broke any laws though. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Richard

Incorrect. It means pilot vessel on station.

Jdcave: I hope you don't move again until you find and fix this phantom pthrottyl issue.

The use of one prolonged whistle is a very good method of alerting others to your presence. In fact it's mentioned in Colregs. One prolonged is NOT a passing signal. It is an attention signal. One or two SHORT blasts are proper passing signals (excepting in narrow channels, overtaking((international))

Actually it's a pilot vessels fog signal while engaged in pilotage duties. "On station" or not. Which if you had read a couple of posts after that one, I pointed out.

In "nothing" post I was pointing out that 4 short blasts would have signify nothing as far as the COLREGS go in the situation being discribe by the OP.

According to the COLREGS, one way of many to broadcast distress is to make "a continuous sounding with any fog-signaling apparatus".

That is only in the case of a Mayday situation. And note the word "continuous".

And one prolonged blast is not for merely alerting others to ones presence, it has very specific uses for exiting a berth or approaching a blind turn:

"When a power-driven vessel is leaving a dock or berth, she shall sound one prolonged blast."

Obviously rec vessels don't do this when leaving their slip 99% of the time, but if your slip is on a busy fairway, it's not a bad idea.

"A vessel nearing a bend or an area of a channel or fairway where other vessels may be obscured by an intervening obstruction shall sound one prolonged blast. Such signal shall be answered with a prolonged blast by any approaching vessel that may be within hearing around the bend or behind the intervening obstruction."

It's also good form to issue a securite in these situations.

Last edited:
Cross signals. You 'informed' all the readers here that 4 shorts is a meaningless signal. Incorrect. That signal is appropo in certain circumstances. Not this one.

In this situation the correct signal would have been 5 blasts. That's what the public on this forum need to know. Not that a ' 4 signal blast' is meaningless; but the 5 (or more) signal is the 'I don't know what's happening' signal that should have been used.

However the lack of an available signalling device, and an engine that died sort of make these comments moot, eh?

Later you corrected your comment. Too late. But, I had already submitted my comment before I got to page 6 of the post.

The Colregs have many rules and have many well written/drawn examples in 169. But not many people ever take the time to read (or learn) them. The USCGAux safe boating course is a wonderful thing for people to do in the off season. Highly suggested. If not for the eye opening perspective, maybe just to learn about the rules of the road and their application. Heck, even buying a textbook on the rules of the road to learn them would be a good thing. There are online courses to teach you to memorize the rules. That goes a long way to beating them into your head so at least you have a working knowledge of them. USCGQ.com is one sight I used to get my auxsail endorsement on top of my license. It is good refresher to go over the rules in an exam format to keep you fresh.

George, I am a believer and user of the one pro-longed blast. I do not necessarily agree with your statement though that says it is "not for merely alerting others to ones presence". In effect when leaving a dock or nearing a bend that is exactly what it is doing (alerting others to ones presence) and can not be confused with any passing signals nor requires any immediate actions to avoid collision from the other vessel other than sounding back if in the blind bend situation.

" or an area of a channel or fairway where other vessels may be obscured by an intervening obstruction ......the bend or behind the intervening obstruction."
It's not just a geographical issue. It can be any circumstance causing a lack of visibility. Other vessels. The previous pictured tanker is about 800' long. When passing abeam there is a HUGE blind spot behind such a vessel which is deserving of the same prolonged blast situation. Or as mentioned a bevy of vessels (think sailboat race) where they are so close together (and concentrating on something else) that they don't see the surrounding danger.
It's also good form to issue a securite in these situations.
Haven't found many yachters who know what Securite' is never mind how to monitor a radio correctly. Most places have so screwed up the VHF radios with mandated monitoring of 16 OR 9 Or some other obscure channel you never know what channel the general public is on. Even in this thread mention of 16 being unresponsive, then 13 was mentioned How about 67? (or 9) Too many variables. I have three VHFs on my Bridge. How many radios does the typical yacht have? 1?

A common thread in european conversations as part of RYC accreditation is they are actually instructed to NOT use the radio. Whistle signals are paramount! Must be something in the water across the pond.... To actually think yachters should know the Colregs!

George, I am a believer and user of the one pro-longed blast. I do not necessarily agree with your statement though that says it is "not for merely alerting others to ones presence". In effect when leaving a dock or nearing a bend that is exactly what it is doing (alerting others to ones presence) and can not be confused with any passing signals nor requires any immediate actions to avoid collision from the other vessel other than sounding back if in the blind bend situation.

It sounds like we agree exactly, perhaps you didn't read through my post; but let me clarify you a bit: it is an alert sounded when underway not merely "hey, look, I'm over here".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom