Old 07-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
What our boats say about us

So, we are in the market for a new (to us) boat, or will be as soon as we get our old one sold.

Problem is, I don't know exactly what I want to buy, a unique situation for me as I've always had my eye on my next boat before I sold my old one. Heck, most of the time wanting my next boat was WHY I sold my old one.

Now though, I'm confused. We have loved our old Gulfstar, but we want something a little faster, a little bigger and newer. Has to have 2 cabins, has to have twins, has to have a flybridge, has to have a liveable galley, has to be salon style with a cockpit. We can spend around $200,000.

The boat that fits this bill is the Mainship 400. We like the layout, etc. But I have heard so many bad things about Mainship's quality that I have always turned my nose up at them. No offense to any Mainship owners out there....heck we may buy one. I guess I just don't like what people SAY about them.

That got me to thinking, why does that matter?

I think boats put us into tribes. Most of us here are members of the "older classic trawler tribe" a bleach jug like a rivera or a Bayliner might do really well what we use our boats for, but most of us wouldn't be caught dead in one.

There is also the sailboat tribe, the sportfish tribe (my brother is one of those, and even thoguh I fished professionally for 15 years I don't see myself there). The cat tribe, etc. etc.

We have always taken pride in our boat and what it says about us, or at least what we THINK it says about us. Boats speak to our hearts, there is no logical reason to own one.

The problem is, how do we meet our expectations of who we are, and meet our needs in a boat.

For me, a 42' Sabre flybridge is the perfect boat, I just can't afford one.

Then again, maybe I am just a shallow person.

Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #2

City: Galveston Texas
Vessel Name: Sangria Nites
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 43 Trawler
When I purchase my old girl (Sangria Nites) I had no idea as to what I wanted. I looked at Grand Banks and fell in love with the nostalgia of the teak and old world feel. It was my plan to spend around 150k and buy in the 40’+ range. I looked on line and went to see several and while I was a Kemah Boardwalk I saw an old dilapidating Gulfstar 43 and fell head over hills in love. Did not see her for what she was but what she could be….. Now she has new Teak throughout, engines are in top notch shape and looks great.
so I guess what I am saying is for me my plan and what I connected to were nowhere in the same ballpark.

G DUb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
So, we are in the market for a new (to us) boat, or will be as soon as we get our old one sold.

Problem is, I don't know exactly what I want to buy, a unique situation for me as I've always had my eye on my next boat before I sold my old one. Heck, most of the time wanting my next boat was WHY I sold my old one.

Now though, I'm confused. We have loved our old Gulfstar, but we want something a little faster, a little bigger and newer. Has to have 2 cabins, has to have twins, has to have a flybridge, has to have a liveable galley, has to be salon style with a cockpit. We can spend around $200,000.

The boat that fits this bill is the Mainship 400. We like the layout, etc. But I have heard so many bad things about Mainship's quality that I have always turned my nose up at them. No offense to any Mainship owners out there....heck we may buy one. I guess I just don't like what people SAY about them.

That got me to thinking, why does that matter?

I think boats put us into tribes. Most of us here are members of the "older classic trawler tribe" a bleach jug like a rivera or a Bayliner might do really well what we use our boats for, but most of us wouldn't be caught dead in one.

There is also the sailboat tribe, the sportfish tribe (my brother is one of those, and even thoguh I fished professionally for 15 years I don't see myself there). The cat tribe, etc. etc.

We have always taken pride in our boat and what it says about us, or at least what we THINK it says about us. Boats speak to our hearts, there is no logical reason to own one.

The problem is, how do we meet our expectations of who we are, and meet our needs in a boat.

For me, a 42' Sabre flybridge is the perfect boat, I just can't afford one.

Then again, maybe I am just a shallow person.
Some of us are past that....we bought what we bought because we have been far enough around the block to know what will work for our needs, budget and yes partly our hearts.... but for me my heart was DEAD LAST. Many boats that people describe as butt ugly don't phase me in the slightest...if I thought they would have done the job at the right price...what do I care???

Yes for some that is important..for other's it isn't. I know there is no perfect boat out there...just like there is no perfect marina, anchorage, weather....etc..etc...hopefully whatever you drive, wherever you are, whatever you think is making you happy...it sure isn't gonna just be a hull.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -
As I've said in other threads, the boat is every bit as important to me as the experience. Even if we were to have the most amazing experience on the planet out boating, it would not be quite as amazing if we were having it in a boat that didn't meet our aesthetic requirements. I'm not a form-follows-function person when it comes to things like cars or boats (or planes for that matter).

While GB is not our favorite design, it comes closer than anything else for the money we had earmarked for a boat purchase 14 years ago. Were we buying a boat today, our choice would be different but it would still meet our aesthetic requirements as much as being suited for what we want to do with it.

In the recent Manatee thread I could not fault all the benefits the fans of that boat listed--- great use of space, high "liveablitly," and so on. But I would be embarrased to be seen driving one. No one else (other than my wife) would care, but I would and that's what counts. I feel pretty much the same about what I call the "cabin cruiser" boats---- Tollycraft, Uniflite, Carver, Californian, Hatteras, etc., etc., etc. They just don't look like what I think boats should loook like regardless of how well they're built, appointed, and so on.

The picture below is pretty much my favorite boat right now. In fact we hope to charter it next year (with its crew). While I would not want the tremendous upkeep a vessel like this requires, and while it is considerably larger than what we want or need, to me the Gikumi embodies everything I like in a boat design. Anything less is a compromise, and I'm not much on compromises when it comes to designs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-244321644.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	12079

Name:	image-802004456.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	12080

Name:	image-3764148587.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	12081

Name:	image-3051152951.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	12082
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2529269919.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	12083  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
Guru

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, or so they say. While I don't think the sole reason or perhaps even the main reason to buy a boat is because you like how it looks, I do think it is a factor for most people. It is for me, anyway.

If it weren't for this would "trawlers" sell at all?
Old 07-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #6
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
I don't know if I cvould sell my boat.
I have just about built it myself. It was just a hull when I got her.

I sometimes think I would like the perfect boat but I have no idea what that would be.
Mine is perfect for me and where and how I use it.

As My wife is wheel chair bound she is unable to go with me.
She doesn't stop me from using my boat.

She is an old boat and nothing works on her but me.

Sd
Old 07-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
My wife found and liked/wanted the Eagle, surveyed well, price was 50% of our budget, financing and insurance was approved, so we bought it. We did not know what it was or what we were buying, except it was big and made a great dock condo on Lake Union down town Seattle.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Skip,
Well put. I've got a lot in Willy and feel much the same. Not the perfect boat and I went looking but just couldn't move away from her. A lot of it was the cost of moorage down here.
Marin and psneeld seem to be extremes But many yacht owners choose and buy their boat for how well it would fit them into a certain "tribe". The OP Dougcole expresses himself well and his thread name suggests that why we buy the boat we do is a very pretentious undertaking w a very specific mission. Few if any of us would probably admit our guilt but many (or even most in some places) buy yachts mostly for that reason. If we were the last persons on earth and ther'e were lots of boats and fuel to use what boats would we mostly use .... if any. I don't think most of us know how much of our boat buying decisions are pretentious or serving our boating needs exclusively. I'm sure some of my needs are a bit pretentious in that I probably want people to perceive of me as a self taught and objective thinking person prone to go my own way for reasons from within and not subject to fads or trends not based on objective and practical reasoning. I know I'd like my boat to say such things about me but I can't conceive of myself spending $50K to accomplish that is something I would actually do. So I'm not going to admit to pretentious spending re my boat to any significant degree and anyone here who cares much about what other people think probably won't admit to pretentiousness either. One could come close to the truth about oneself by taking stock of their past. We can all learn at least a bit by looking in the mirror.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #9
Guru

I owned an old Mainship, a 1978, and I know many many Mainship owners. I still am a member in the local owner's group as we have many frinds there.
I agree that the quality is not the best, but all in all they are good boats. You should not be embarrassed to own one.
They all have their "quirks", just join the owner's group in Yahoo and find out from current and past owners what the isues are and factor that in to your decision.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
I for one, truly and honestly hope I am never found dead aboard a bayliner- that would NOT be a good day whatsoever in the earthly sense.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #11
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperdude View Post

She is an old boat and nothing works on her but me.

Sd

Amen, brother!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsong View Post
I for one, truly and honestly hope I am never found dead aboard a bayliner- that would NOT be a good day whatsoever in the earthly sense.
So where could we find you on a good day?

SD
Old 07-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
Guru

I told my brother the other day that a sportfish is mostly just a way to impress people who are pretending to be your friends while quickly diminishing your personal net worth.

That got me thinking about what MY boat is, and what it says about me.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I owned an old Mainship, a 1978, and I know many many Mainship owners. I still am a member in the local owner's group as we have many frinds there.
I agree that the quality is not the best, but all in all they are good boats. You should not be embarrassed to own one.
They all have their "quirks", just join the owner's group in Yahoo and find out from current and past owners what the isues are and factor that in to your decision.
We may very well go down that route, we are certainly going to look very closely at a few. You know, the engines and the systems are mostly the same, a yanmar is a yanmar whether it is in a Mainship or a Hinkley. Same is true mostly about fridges, heads, pumps, fuel filters, wire, panels the list goes on and one. And our budget puts us in a super clean mid to late 2000's mainship 40, as opposed to other brands that may be 10 years older for the same price. I'm not so sure that doesn't swing the pendulum in the end.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Skip,
Well put. I've got a lot in Willy and feel much the same. Not the perfect boat and I went looking but just couldn't move away from her. A lot of it was the cost of moorage down here.
Marin and psneeld seem to be extremes But many yacht owners choose and buy their boat for how well it would fit them into a certain "tribe". The OP Dougcole expresses himself well and his thread name suggests that why we buy the boat we do is a very pretentious undertaking w a very specific mission. Few if any of us would probably admit our guilt but many (or even most in some places) buy yachts mostly for that reason. If we were the last persons on earth and ther'e were lots of boats and fuel to use what boats would we mostly use .... if any. I don't think most of us know how much of our boat buying decisions are pretentious or serving our boating needs exclusively. I'm sure some of my needs are a bit pretentious in that I probably want people to perceive of me as a self taught and objective thinking person prone to go my own way for reasons from within and not subject to fads or trends not based on objective and practical reasoning. I know I'd like my boat to say such things about me but I can't conceive of myself spending $50K to accomplish that is something I would actually do. So I'm not going to admit to pretentious spending re my boat to any significant degree and anyone here who cares much about what other people think probably won't admit to pretentiousness either. One could come close to the truth about oneself by taking stock of their past. We can all learn at least a bit by looking in the mirror.
"One could come close to the truth about oneself by taking stock of their past"
I really like that. Very nicely said.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Well, I'm in the wouldn't be caught dead in a bleach bottle Bayliner tribe.

I've always picked my boats not based on a tribe or impressing someone at the dock. They've been picked with an eye on functionality. Beauty grows from that functionality.

For us its simple. What do I want the new boat to do that the old boat wouldn't do?

So here's a photo of my Bayliner bleach bottle. Take away the name for a moment and just look at the boat. What do you see?

Well... I see a pilothouse design (for a nice weather protected dedicated place to pilot the boat from)

I see a large boat deck with skiff storage and lots of room for entertainment, along with a helm station for nice days

I see a covered cockpit (to protect us from the rain)

Inside I see a full width salon, a large galley, three staterooms, and two full bathrooms.

I see a stable coastal cruiser that can make open ocean crossings up to 400NM safely.

I see a boat that I could cruise to Alaska (done that twice), cruise the coast to Mexico (planning that). Cruise the carribean (another plan), or the great loop (the plan of all plans)

Others might see a bleach bottle and "not be caught dead in one" I see a lifetime of adventures waiting to happen.

ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
Kevin,
Are you serious? You own a bayliner? Holy cow- who on earth let you on this forum?!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	July.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	12096  
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #18

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
I'm 6'6" tall and worked out that to get full head-room in a OK looking boat, we needed a 50' er. The only way we could afford this was to do a conversion on a commercial boat. We went over budget by 30% which I thought wasn't too bad, but the Admiral still likes to remind me every so often - 8 years later!
It has turned out to be all we want in a boat - apart from a Fleming 55... or a Selene 53...or a Nordhavn 57...or a ....
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #19
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I am happy with my Monk 36, not much teak on her but a toothpick would be too much for me.
One of our cruising buddies has a Mainship 43, he is very happy with it I have spent a weekend onboard thought it was very nice.
Steve W
Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #20

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
We bought our 390 Mainship 5 years ago and would not hesitate to buy another. It's a middle of the road boat, but i think it looks great. It's easy to maintain without exposed teak (but the inside is all teak), great covered cockpit with molded in steps to the bridge. Everything works and nothing leaks.. My last two boats were Bayliners and i thought they were pretty good also. I once went to a boat show and a salesman from another boat company asked me what i was in the market for. i told him we were looking at Bayliners. He said they were the Chevy of boats. that sold me. The best car i ever owned was a chevy and the worst car I ever owned was a Porsche. It looked nice, every one admired it wherever I went but it spent at least 1 week out of every 4 in the shop. i bought that Chevy so I could get to work!
John
proud owner of a 2003 Mainship 390

johnma is offline   Reply With Quote