Old 07-27-2012, 01:53 AM   #81

City: South Puget Sound, WA
One of my best friends has a Trophy that he routinely takes out over the bar at Westport and brings home limts when the charters are coming home empty. Great boat, he took it up the Inside Passage to Alaska one year and its only 23 feet.

Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #82
Guru

City: Pensacola
I say this toungue in cheek, but at least a bayliner knows who its parents are.... my Taiwan Trawler isnt really sure... ;-)

Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #83
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
I say this toungue in cheek, but at least a bayliner knows who its parents are.... my Taiwan Trawler isnt really sure... ;-)
That is too funny!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #84
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
Indeed Bayliner has pioneered some of the major design points, in part by not being tied down by "tradition". They shoehorned the first sleeping "cabins" under a dinette (yes, I'm using that term very loosely!).

The 32xx and 38xx boats (like the one you likely saw) have been well loved by their owners and generally well taken care of (Bayliner 32xx)

The "4050 Bodega" was somewhat less successful (see if you can with this slideshow without blinking): Z 40 ft Bayliner 4050 Bodega :: Bayliner 4050 Bodega Slideshow slideshow by rickredshoes - Photobucket
All of the ones I've seen have looked like they were sinking at the bow!

But the 45/47/49 Motoryachts have spawned many immitators, like this Delta:
1992 Delta Boat Company DELTA 50 Power Boat For Sale -

And I've never had a Trophy, but people who've owned them have been happy and many of them have lived long lives, even when neglected.

I have never really been attracted to the Bodega models either, the ones I've seen just didn't turn my head.

Its funny, because the delta in your link has been for sale for some time, at least two seasons, with the asking price dropping by over $50K during that time.

That boat was on my list to at least go and check out on my next boat hunting trip to the Seattle area. I was iffy about the white washed interior, but I really liked the interior setup with the dual beds in the guest cabin.

I also liked the 3208 Cats, but they are the high HP TA version and have 1700 + hours on them. Thats not allot of hours but that engine pushing 435HP is at the edge of its performance envelope. Depending on how the boat has been run, and maintained, the engines could be close to end of life, or have allot of hours left in them.

Then we found our boat, a 4788 in need of repowering and it solved the engine issue questions, since I put new ones in.
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #85

On the smaller/newer Bayliner side... The Discovery 24 & 26 models are unique that there is nothing else like them on the market. The look OK, somewhat pudgy.
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #86
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
On the smaller/newer Bayliner side... The Discovery 24 & 26 models are unique that there is nothing else like them on the market. The look OK, somewhat pudgy.
I'm not so much of a fan of the newer discovery series.

We've had both a 242, and the 2859 Bayliner.

In my opinion the 2859 is far and away the best 28' cabin cruiser ever built for the waters here in Alaska.

It is the perfect combination, fishing and cruising boat, for a family. Raised pilothouse with seating for 3-4, nice cabin with a real stateroom, and a large vee berth. Full head with shower, nice galley.

ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote