What is the most stupid thing you have ever done on your boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A couple of weeks ago I was docking in a transient slip in Boothbay Harbor, ME. There was no wind or current and docking should not have been a challenge. I had just got lined up and was about to start backing in, but wanted to have a quick look behind me to make sure everything was OK. When I turned my body to the right, my left hand bumped my zero-effort electronic throttle/shifter into full throttle reverse on my port engine. Things went from easy to really challenging in an instant. Fortunately, I got it under control without damaging anything but it was pretty horrifying to see that massive cloud of gray/black smoke as the boat started rocketing backward into the slip.

I did something sort of similar with our tractor. I was stupidly and impulsively working directly under the front loader bucket while my son operated the tractor. As he got off to help me, the cuff on his shorts caught the bucket release mechanism and it instantly plunged straight down. Luckily, my head was inches below a stone wall, which stopped the free fall and is the only reason I’m writing this. Even though this didn’t happen on a boat, it forever changed how I approach anything with an element of danger, including boating. I no longer plunge into things impulsively but take the time to size up every contingency I can imagine. Things take longer to get done . . . and hopefully the same can be said about my life.

Attachments

• 2BA22CC2-0E89-4DCD-865C-1E6FF1E4A4DC.jpg
    2BA22CC2-0E89-4DCD-865C-1E6FF1E4A4DC.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 47
Things take longer to get done . . .
Whenever I'm dealing with any heavy items I remind myself of the saying "What can go wrong, will go wrong". Always assume the worst possible thing will happen, especially if there's a 'shorter way to do it'. I'd venture there's far more live people that regret wasting a few minutes more to chock, brace or otherwise set up safety measures than dead people whose last thoughts were "oh ****, that was a bad idea..."

On the electronic controls thing, it sounds to me like they just don't offer enough improved functionality to justify the increased complexity.

On top of that, all of the ones I've seen come in single lever form which makes them a no-go for me. I much prefer separate shifters and throttles for close-quarters maneuvering.

I've used several variations of electronic throttles, and I would never go back to mechanical ones. Likewise separate controls. Sure, there's the factors of cost and complexity, and no amount of online debate will change a luddite perspective on that.

Using them, that's about the only way to "get it".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom