Old 07-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #1

City: Puget Sound
What a marina fire looks like

The thread on the Everett marina fire contained some opinions on what to do. Just about 12 years ago our marina burned. I have a sequence of pictures taken by a the next door neighbor to the marina... She was working in the house and noticed smoke coming from a boat in the marina she went to get her camera and starting taking pictures. going from left to right and top to bottom this all happened in about 20 minutes. The fire department is about a mile away from the marina
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1st mf.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	66602   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd mf.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	66603   Click image for larger version

Name:	3rd mf.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	66604   Click image for larger version

Name:	4th mf.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	66605  

Ka_sea_ta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Wow! Where was that KS?

sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
Wow! Where was that KS?
I don't want to be insensitive at all, hope no one was hurt, and the insurance companies replaced every one of those boats for the owners - but looking at those photos my first thought was, that's the only way I'm ever going to completely eliminate the never-ending to-do list on my boat.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:54 PM   #4

There was just one fatality, a cat on a live aboard. Insurance was a whole subject by itself. We learned a lot about insurance policies and companies in the months following the fire. With a few exceptions I don't think anyone was made completely whole. The cost of clean up was over a million by itself. Trying to determine each boat owners liability in that alone was impossible. With the exception of 2 boats every boat burned to the waterline and sank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alure af.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	66611  
Old 07-10-2017, 06:07 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Ka
I assume from your comment that the boats which did not originate the fire where considered liable for the cleanup. Was this of the marina or of their own boats.

Have you seen any explanation of this cleanup liability.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #6
Guru

City: ACIW
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Cant be sure, but pollution responsibility is from the source...so even if a boat next to you rams you or burns you till you sink...you still are responsible for pollution generated by your boat.

Whether you an collect from the source of the problem....is the huge dollar question.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #7

The issue with the clean up was trying to determine the percentage that each boat owner and the marina was responsible for.After the insurance companies couldn't agree and litigation was going to drag on. The CG used funds that were designated for environmental clean up... Individual owners were responsible for the mandated recovery and disposal of the sunken hulks. This is were understanding your insurance policy is crucial. Some boat owners were responsible for the disposal costs some were on the hook for the cost to raise the hull
Old 07-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #8
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Were those covered berths? One good reason to avoid same.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #9
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Expensive covered moorage isn't much good in rain country without a lid.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #10

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Quote:
Wow! Where was that KS?
I believe that was in Gig harbor. I think I see the stern of a Camano Troll that was owned by some friends.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:24 PM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
I believe that was in Gig harbor. I think I see the stern of a Camano Troll that was owned by some friends.

I believe that was Gig Harbor. The Gig Harbor Marina was a huge fire with a lot of loss. The rebuilt covered moorage had panels in the roof that will melt out with heat. Supposedly keeping the fire from spreading along the underside of the structure.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Wow! Where was that KS?
These guys are right, it was the Harborview marina in Gig Harbor.

The marina was covered with a metal roof that trapped all the gasses underneath the roof which is the reason the fire spread so quickly.
One thing the pictures don't show was the number of propane tanks that exploded during the fire.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:45 AM   #13

City: Green Cove Springs,FL
Vessel Name: No Destination
Vessel Model: 1972 GulfStar Trawler 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ka_sea_ta View Post
The issue with the clean up was trying to determine the percentage that each boat owner and the marina was responsible for.After the insurance companies couldn't agree and litigation was going to drag on. The CG used funds that were designated for environmental clean up... Individual owners were responsible for the mandated recovery and disposal of the sunken hulks. This is were understanding your insurance policy is crucial. Some boat owners were responsible for the disposal costs some were on the hook for the cost to raise the hull
When my boat burn and sunk, my liability insurance cover environment protection and rise/storage the boat. If some can not afford a $150 a year for liability insurance, that should not own a boat or not be allow into marina docking.
nodestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:20 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodestination View Post
When my boat burn and sunk, my liability insurance cover environment protection and rise/storage the boat. If some can not afford a $150 a year for liability insurance, that should not own a boat or not be allow into marina docking.
Did the salvage come out of hull reimbusement or was it paid separately?

Most yacht policies I believe have separate environmental cleanup line items and salvage is separate too or is just paid first and you get the rest to replace your boat.
Old 07-11-2017, 07:56 AM   #15
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
This risk worries me because there are a couple boats near me that aren't kept in the best condition and there are some pretty stupid owners as well. I often see people smoking on the fuel (gasoline) dock and nobody stops them. There's a new guy two or three slips down from me with a pretty crappy boat. It sometimes smells like gasoline if he's been out and the other day I saw him down in his engine compartment working on his engine while smoking a cigarette.

I suppose I could say something to him, but I don't have any authority over him. You can't fix stupid.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:07 AM   #16
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
This risk worries me because there are a couple boats near me that aren't kept in the best condition and there are some pretty stupid owners as well. I often see people smoking on the fuel (gasoline) dock and nobody stops them. There's a new guy two or three slips down from me with a pretty crappy boat. It sometimes smells like gasoline if he's been out and the other day I saw him down in his engine compartment working on his engine while smoking a cigarette.

I suppose I could say something to him, but I don't have any authority over him. You can't fix stupid.
I would absolutely say something about is and quite vocal. You can't fix stupid, but you can get rid of him. He's endangering YOUR boat.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:15 AM   #17
Guru

My marina has asked people to not return the next year because of repeated safety violations or just bad behavior....and when egregious, tossed immediately.

The initial complaints usually came from the core slipholders because of the "neighborhood watch" concept, then being a little more under the microscope, the offenders were observed by marina staff.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:11 AM   #18

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
Help me here fellas -- After reading all the posts, I went down the dock and started looking at power-cords, stuff stored in plane view, etc. I saw two small boats with, what looked like "small house electrical cord for their power supply." One boat (small) with a hard enclosure for the cockpit, not only has the small electrical cord, also, one can see a large gas fuel container & propane bottle inside. Are the small cords ok, or is there a problem there? The fuel can is a no-brain'er to me, it should be outside someplace. I called the Harbor Master yesterday, he seamed concerned, however, as of 2030 hrs last night, nothing was done. I'll call again today.
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONTOROSS View Post
Help me here fellas -- After reading all the posts, I went down the dock and started looking at power-cords, stuff stored in plane view, etc. I saw two small boats with, what looked like "small house electrical cord for their power supply." One boat (small) with a hard enclosure for the cockpit, not only has the small electrical cord, also, one can see a large gas fuel container & propane bottle inside. Are the small cords ok, or is there a problem there? The fuel can is a no-brain'er to me, it should be outside someplace. I called the Harbor Master yesterday, he seamed concerned, however, as of 2030 hrs last night, nothing was done. I'll call again today.
The problem with small gauge electrical cords is that they are normally plugged into standard 30 amp shorepower. If there is an over current condition the cord can get hot enough to start a fire or catch fire itself with out tripping the breaker....
Old 07-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #20
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I like having my boat docked behind my house, no other boats to worry about.

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote