Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Semi-planing,

Ouch!

Bob

Old 05-16-2016, 12:13 PM   #22
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
What Makes Grand Banks Trawlers So Great?

I've been on and around them for 40 years. From my perspective they are "character" boats that - by some magic - look more authentic than they truly are. Which is more than fine for most owners and observers. In the "grand" scheme of things somewhere between a wooden cruiser and boats like the OA mentioned above.

The lack of new GBs and the gradual deterioration of the fleet will, in the long run, make them a fascinating footnote. There will be some that are kept up and widely admired, but more of them will slide into dereliction. There could be a revival of the brand - think new VW bug - but it would need a complete refresh.

The world has moved on. I would look more at the success of the Ranger tugs and then the Cutwater. And they sure know how to do marketing.

Keith

Old 05-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio;
The world has moved on.
More or less what the GB broker said without saying it. As someone else pointed out, the aft cabins are pretty much history, across the board and that was the GB hallmark for decades.

Market and marketing set the tone.
Which leads, is a toss up.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #24
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
One thing about GB was that they had the largest and most active owner groups. They were passionate about their boats. We have friends in Sarasota and has had GB of one type or another for 25 years and have no idea what they'll do if they want another boat.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:24 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
You can say what you want about the future of GB. They were/are a very well built boat with very good quality parts and systems. Well layed out for service.

If they are just reasonably taken care of they didn't have the issues of the lesser brands. Their windows don't tend to leak, nor do the decks. If you have to crawl around in the bilges you won't get cut on a bunch of fiberglass spurs sticking out everywhere. Nor will you find half assed carpentry word behind the walls and cabinets. Or mystery parts that seem to have only been made for that one boat in somebody's uncles shop down the rode from the "builders" yard.

Like and old Hatteras or Bertram, an old GB can be worth the time and money to bring back because they have good bones. Many others of that time, not so much.

Quality is quality. Then, now and forever.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #26
Guru

I think the number of Grand Banks in use by charter companies tells you a lot about the quality and durability of the boat when properly cared for. I can count 22 in charter use by just three companies. They had the US market until they abdicated their throne.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:08 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: stuart
was grand banks yard next door to the kadey krogen yard?
silentfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 04:42 PM   #28

City: New Rochelle, NY
Vessel Name: Jerry Land
Vessel Model: Grand Banks/Alaskan
We love ours. Previous owner had her 40 years and loved her dearly. We have a huge responsability to keep her up. So far so good and having a great time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	52063  
jjorgenson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:05 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
One thing about GB was that they had the largest and most active owner groups.
Not true. As of right now there are 7034 registered CBrats - 20 online at the moment, 413 max - compared to 2601 (14 online, 179 max) on the GB board.

Truly, though the boats are smaller the C-Dory story is very comparable to GB. Traditional-ish styling, gradually larger and fancier versions, several recent changes in ownership. I've been to both C-Dory and GB rendezvous in the PNW (I had a CD22 for a while to access our cabin in the San Juans, and I cruised a bit on a friend's GB57). But when the Seattle Boat Show comes around there are 40-50 CBrats getting together for meals. And volunteering to sit in the booth. And when a boat comes up for sale they actively try to help find a buyer - and create a new CBrat.

And did I mention the annual CBrat pinup calendar?
Old 05-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #30
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Grand Banks Owner's Resources

8918 Users
99718 Articles
Old 05-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Grand Banks Owner's Resources

8918 Users
99718 Articles
2 users online, 168 max. But fair enough - I'd forgotten about IAGBO.

FWIW CBrats has 283562 articles since 2005 (IAGBO was 2006).
Old 05-16-2016, 07:40 PM   #32
Guru

City: RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
2 users online, 168 max. But fair enough - I'd forgotten about IAGBO.

FWIW CBrats has 283562 articles since 2005 (IAGBO was 2006).
I have no skin in this game but comparing the number of online members of one brand to another seems like comparing a McDonalds burger to perhaps a burger from the Black Pearl in Newport RI...

The Ranger tugs we saw at the Maine Boatbuilders show 2 years ago seemed well made and were full of innovative ideas. Enough so that for a brief hours we actually considered buying one...

In the end I'd much rather own a Grand Banks anything (well, almost anything)

I'm not saying anything negative about the Ranger, it is a nice boat but in the end it was too small and somehow just too gimmicky.

Of course we have purchased neither but rather we are about to send a deposit in on a new American Tug so maybe I don't count...

Bruce
Bruce B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:10 PM   #33
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
I think a GB can take more abuse than most boats out there. You can bounce them off pilings without a scratch. A lot of other boat don't have the strength or the rub rail design to hit the dock hard without some cracking. This is based on chartering several 36' GBs.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:28 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I have no skin in this game but comparing the number of online members of one brand to another seems like comparing a McDonalds burger to perhaps a burger from the Black Pearl in Newport RI...
Ah, that's not quite the purpose of my response. Hubby B was talking about the GB online community and I simply wanted to point out the vibrancy of the CBrats. I had a CBrat I'd never met invite me out to go prawning a couple of years back. It's really a great on-ramp for someone new to cruising, particularly when they're not located in prime cruising ground like the PNW. Here's a shot of the annual Lake Mead get together:
Old 05-17-2016, 06:12 AM   #35
FF
Guru

The biggest advantage of a boat building company that is old , is they can learn from past mistakes , so slowly the boat becomes better.

AS the owners scream of problems (some not found for a decade) the yard will probably modify its product .

A "better" rep will allow items to be included ( like fuel tank clean out access) that cost time and money and may not be in lesser economy builds.

Also the equipment that is installed can be of a higher grade , to visibly match the higher asking price.

A windlass can be $800 to $5000,
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:23 AM   #36
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Island Gypsy are probably the other older, more traditional builder, with similar quality and value holding reputation.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:02 AM   #37

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
If GB needs a shot in the arm, saleswise, maybe they should come out with a trailerable Trawler, like Nordic and American. A newer boat than my Albin-25 is hard to find.
Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Nick View Post
If GB needs a shot in the arm, saleswise, maybe they should come out with a trailerable Trawler, like Nordic and American. A newer boat than my Albin-25 is hard to find.
Grand Banks has found their new plan. It's Palm Beach #1. Then toss in some Eastbay and perhaps some cruising models built more like Palm Beach.

At this point they've got one model in the Eastbay line, a newly designed 44'. Looks just like a Palm Beach.

In the new Grand Banks line, they have a 60' that they've never even put on their website, has just had a little information leak here and there.

Basically Palm Beach is the brand with existing boats and Grand Banks and Eastbay are basically starting from scratch.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:25 PM   #39
FF
Guru

"If GB needs a shot in the arm, saleswise, maybe they should come out with a trailerable Trawler, like Nordic and American. A newer boat than my Albin-25 is hard to find."

Once the boat becomes trailer sized and weight there is no reason to create a slow "trawler"

The gas mileage is fine at 15-20k as well as 5K.

The trawlery look becomes silly in a 25 ft boat.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #40
Veteran Member

City: Southport, NC
Vessel Name: Shangri-La
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Tgotch - lots of good info here. In the end, a well kept well built vessel can serve you fine. We landed on a gem of a find with our choice. For our first foray into this lifestyle we wanted first and foremost a reliable, well built home. Our GB 42 is outperforming the pundits in many ways. I'd stay away from anything that looks like a hackmaster has been tinkering with critical systems. A good broker will be able to tell you if a quality marina has been doing the maintenance or not. This is a big issue - as some less qualified do-it-yourselfers have ruined many a good boat.
This forum is packed with folks who really do know what they are doing - so you are definitely on the right track starting here with your questions.

Eat Life -
www.grandpapickers.com
NightCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote