Old 04-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #1

City: Rockford, IL
Vessel Name: Du NORD
Vessel Model: Albin-25
What magazines do Inmates here read?

We switched from a 28ft trailer-sailing Shearwater Yawl to an Albin-25 three years ago, and I yet to find a "motorboat magazine" I like. Online discount tickets to Strictly Sail in Chicago a couple of years ago included a one-year subscription to some magazine seeming to feature mostly way out motor yachts from Italy, so I let that one lapse.

I've subscribed to a lot of sailing magazines over the years, and still consider several to be compelling; SAILING, for the photography and inclusion of sailboats of all sizes; Messing About In Boats, because the editor likes to publish my articles; Good Old Boat; and WoodenBoat.

I like print media (no offense to present company).

I'd like to learn more about Diesels and read about cruising in 20-40-ft motor vessels.

Moby Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. MN. It may not surprise anyone here but....

Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
PassageMaker.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I do find Passage Maker very uneven. Great one issue, eh the next issue. But most are good. I do like Cruising Outpost a lot, the recent incarnation of Latitudes and Attitudes. Almost all sail but I like the style, fun break from slick boring magazines.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #5

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Name: Brass Ring
Vessel Model: 38 bayliner
If Yachtworld required a subscription, i would probably pay for it.
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
Guru

My wife somehow got offers for cheap subscriptions to a couple other boating magazines but they feature very expensive yachts or sailboats and cruises to places I will never go.

The BoatUS magazine I get with my membership is good sometimes.

And I forgot Chesapeake Bay magazine. Obviously it is regional but that's where I am from originally and where I'm planning to cruise soon.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Passage maker and Pacific Yachting (Vancouver BC production.) Used to enjoy Latitudes & Attitudes for its irreverence so glad to hear it has risen from the ashes.
Conrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #8
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Practical Sailor and Pacific Yachting. Still buy Woodenboat at the newsstand. Used to subscribe to Passagemaker, but very occasionally buy on the newsstand. Way too pretentious and absolute for me now.

I have all the back issues of Woodenboat, most of Pacific Yachting, a few early years of Passagemaker, but gave away all of my Lats and Atts.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Lake Oswego
Vessel Name: M/V Stout
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Pacific Nor’West Boating

Another digital magazine here in the NW: Pacific Nor’West Boating

They allow you to download the archives for free too in PDF format so you can transfer to your Ipad, Etc.

Kevin
kpoling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #10

City: Dauphin Island, AL
Vessel Name: Free At Last
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Grand Banks Trawler
Passage maker, soundings, boat US. Marina Life good for dreaming on future trips.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:16 PM   #11
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
I think PassageMaker is the closest thing to a magazine for "trawler" owners or power cruisers like us. There is a west coast magazine (covers Mexico to Alaska) named Sea that is power cruiser intensive. And we're trying to get more trawler content into Cruising Outpost, both in terms of stories and advertisers.

Though you profess a liking for print (I do , too), I'll second Kpoling's mention of Pacific Nor'west Boating. Good stories and info on power cruising. That and Classic Yacht magazine are very good online/digital boating publications. That's because they were designed to be read on a computer or laptop, not just a pdf of the print version.
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #12
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I find the blogs here and other web sites just as or even more believable than what I see in print.

Not only myself but a few other dedicated captains and cruisers I associate with find articles written for magazines tend to be written just a little beyond that of a regular cruiser in many ways.

I used to subscribe to a lot of boating mags...but once I went beyond the "newbie" stage and had some contacts in the marine field that I trusted...I only scan printed or even internet published stuff and just add it to the now overwhelming amount of data available through the internet.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:15 AM   #13
FF
Guru

Only one worth the read,

Professional BoatBuilder

www.proboat.com/‎
from Professional BoatBuilder magazine No. 148 ... One look at the portfolio of Janusz Konkol, a boat designer and builder in Poland, .... ProBoat Drawing Board ...

Articles

Article Archives. Articles · Shop Shots / Videos · Attention to ...

Making It Fit: Rick's Method

Making It Fit: Rick's Method. Making it fit. Rick Barkhuff (ALL ...

Subscribe to the Magazine

Digital issue of Professional BoatBuilder magazine. ... While ...

Subscriber Guide

Subscriber Guide. Here are some helpful suggestions and ...

Classifieds

Classifieds. Business Opportunities; Composites ...

Subject Index

Professional BoatBuilder Subject
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:39 AM   #14

City: Grand Island NY
Vessel Name: Missy
Vessel Model: Mainship 350
Power and Motoryacht. Geared more towards the high end, but usually contains some good articles on maintenance and cruising. Watch for a free subscription, I have been getting it for no cost since 1987.
ronlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Lake Oswego
Vessel Name: M/V Stout
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
I will second FF's recommendation on Professional Boat Builder magazine. I have been reading it for about 20 years. Very good technical and engineering articles.

I also wanted to mention Northwest Yachting magazine out of Seattle for a print monthly. Lots of NW articles and local boat news.

Kevin
kpoling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:05 PM   #16
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Paper? We don't do. Just don't. First, no reason for it. Second, no telling where we'd be when it was delivered.

So zero paper.

As to web available, nearly everything boating imaginable from trawlers to speed. The ones we like best are reviews of boats, as we're just a lover of all boats, and talk about cruises and trips. Occasionally highlighting new equipment or trends is nice.

And we do read blogs. Love to see where people are going and have been.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #17
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Paper? We don't do. Just don't. First, no reason for it. Second, no telling where we'd be when it was delivered.

So zero paper.
I totally agree. I gave up every magazine about 5 years ago and never looked back or felt like I was missing anything.

But I think it's more than just a paper issue...

I think the information in the magazines is BS. Total BS. And I say that having written articles in many magazines (including Passagemaker). Yes, there are some exceptions but they are very, very rare - like Practical Sailor. Besides the fact that the lead time is 3 months or more so there's rarely any news of value, you never quite know the reason for the article or who is really paying for it. Here's just one example I recently came across...

There was an article in one of the major magazines about how to paint your boat yourself. The article included the final shot of the finished paint job. The boat was beautiful - shiny, clean, and exactly what you'd want for your boat. One problem though - the picture was Photoshop'd. I know the person who owns the boat and wrote the article. Other candid pictures posted in blogs, etc show the real paint job. It was a disaster. Paint is smudged into stripe lines, there are peeling spots, blemishes. You would never want that finish for your own boat. It's just all BS and who's to know the difference.

I think that there is much more quality information in forums (if there's no nasty bickering) and among the many real boaters out who write blogs. That's real information. There's no paint company paying for the article. No boat manufacturer paying for the "review". The information is real. It might not be as pretty but I like reality much more than the fabrications of editors who, for the most part, sit behind desks and not helms. I've learned much more from all the online media than any magazine.

I've said it before - the only good use for paper onboard is toilet paper. Although I'd have to admit, in a pinch, a magazine would have use there too.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #18
Guru

I like to read about places to visit, read about other boats, and read about how to care for a boat. Yes I could get this on the Internet but I have trouble with the idea of settling down for a good soak in the tub with a computer or even a phone. If I drop the magazine into the tub I'm only out a couple dollars.

Magazine ads give me ideas on things that might make boating safer or more enjoyable. I might buy I might not. Magazines are easy to take with me to read at the doctor's office or waiting for a haircut.

If someone has something against magazines, fine. I still enjoy them.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #19
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I like to read about places to visit...
As long as you know the truth about what you're reading, great, read away. I like reading a good novel at times too.

If you read an article with beautiful pictures especially about a particular marina, realize that the marina might be paying for it. Or at a minimum, the writer of the article was given free dockage in exchange for the understanding that something great would be written about the area.

Surely you know that happens, right?
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
As long as you know the truth about what you're reading, great, read away. I like reading a good novel at times too.

If you read an article with beautiful pictures especially about a particular marina, realize that the marina might be paying for it. Or at a minimum, the writer of the article was given free dockage in exchange for the understanding that something great would be written about the area.

Surely you know that happens, right?
Sometimes people lie on the Internet as well. Or they are misinformed. You don't even have to leave this forum to experience that.