What kind of Ship is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
Not a great picture (iPhone) but there are a pair of these tied at the Gulfport Marina across from the Coast Guard station. They look fast any ideas what they are?
img_95097_0_19bcb93f07ddae4504f038c6971f9f25.jpg

It looks like a swiftship to me. I don't see any markings on it, so maybe it's new. DEA, Navy, Coast Guard.

I'm not sure...but I think they are a fast interceptor boat that the USCG uses... A friend of mine was sailing back from the Bahamas a little while back and was making a night crossing..... And all of the sudden he was under a spotlight...swears he never heard a thing beforehand....and the boat appeared out of nowhere...said he saw nothing on radar.... The Coasties boarded him, check him out and left.....says all he saw was a dark profile on the water...and heard virtually nothing as the boat pulled away......

I'm not sure...but I think they are a fast interceptor boat that the USCG uses... A friend of mine was sailing back from the Bahamas a little while back and was making a night crossing..... And all of the sudden he was under a spotlight...swears he never heard a thing beforehand....and the boat appeared out of nowhere...said he saw nothing on radar.... The Coasties boarded him, check him out and left.....says all he saw was a dark profile on the water...and heard virtually nothing as the boat pulled away......

It does look stealthy. Perhaps I'll walk to the end of the other dock as soon as I finish running new front AC duct work, wrap up the aft Raritan elegance install along with the switch to fresh water, and locate that water leak pouring from the front window when it rains. Maybe.....

If you walk to the other end of the dock, I doubt you'll see any thing..:rofl:

Swiftship patrol boat built for Iraq to attack American shipping in a few years.

Swiftship patrol boat built for Iraq to attack American shipping in a few years.

Maybe we should fit all the stuff we give away with remote controlled, self destruct mechanisms.

Steve, are you at the new Gulfport pleasure craft marina, if so how is it?
Steve W

Last edited:
Maybe we should fit all the stuff we give away with remote controlled, self destruct mechanisms.

Steve, are you at the new Gulfport pleasure craft marina, if so how is it?
Steve W
Hey Steve, I am and it is still being completed. The marina is finished, but the grounds are still being finished. Everything is first rate. Have you guys passed through recently? Sure would love to visit.

Yes, I looked at some swiftship pictures online and they are much bigger. I called the Coastgaurd station a few minutes ago and they don't belong to them- be he wished they did:)! He suggested I call the Harbor Master- who told me they were about to be loaded onto a ship here in port to be transported to the Horn of Africa for the Navy. A Somolian Pirate hunter I guess. He heard they were capable of 70 knots.
img_95166_0_d32882d8a8d0b3a36635a2a7e6a004a6.jpg

That looks like it

Forkliftt - did they ever get the fuel dock operational? Spent a night there last fall - thought the slips were well planned - but no gas. The Aztec temple motif grows on you after a while. Tony's on 14th street is walking distance for killer pizza.

Flywright's Achilles LEX96 w Merc 15hp 2-stroke dinghy?:facepalm::facepalm::D:speed boat:

Last edited:
Forkliftt - did they ever get the fuel dock operational? Spent a night there last fall - thought the slips were well planned - but no gas. The Aztec temple motif grows on you after a while. Tony's on 14th street is walking distance for killer pizza.

SBU, they do. Just called. G $3.60, D $3.48. Gonna have to give Tony's a try. These guys are still putting in pavilions, there is a "water park" of sorts and they are putting in nice parking area/ pavillion For the Ship Island Ferrys.

Back
Top Bottom