What interior style do you like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Modern VS Traditional

• Modern

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Traditional

Votes: 42 82.4%

• Total voters
The ideal interior would look as good after 6 months of no use as the day you departed.

A endangered rain forest of wood is great to Visit , but plain old paint interior is easiest to install and live with.

Wood for trim as eye candy , that is easy to remove and refinish works for me.

Prefer the traditional wood accented interiors, but not a spec of wood exposed on the exterior.....unless I don't have to maintain it. Removed or covered all the exterior wood on my boat to reduce maintenance. Don't what to spend my recreational time refinishing as opposed to using the boat.

Ted

Classic / Traditional = Satisfied for Us!

Attachments

• Forward interior - Pilot and Galley.jpg
    Forward interior - Pilot and Galley.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 110
  • Looking Through Fwd Strm Door.jpg
    Looking Through Fwd Strm Door.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 101
  • Port Rear Salon.jpg
    Port Rear Salon.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Salon Astern.jpg
    Salon Astern.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 101
  • Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 113
While not our favorite interior design on the planet-- I've already posted pictures of that--- our boat has what I'll call Simple Traditional. While later versions of these boats have teak veneer-finished bulkheads and sidewalls, the earlier versions were painted with solid teak trim. We've added a few details, notably some bookshelves we made, but for the most part the interior of our boat is stock from 1973. This year the upgrade will be new main cabin cushions of a much more comfortable and ergonomic design. Here are some shots I've taken over the years....

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421333074.109903.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421333094.578803.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421333115.025270.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421333177.643414.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421333271.542211.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421333308.590300.jpg

Last edited:
While not our favorite interior design on the planet-- I've already posted pictures of that--- our boat has what I'll call Simple Traditional. While later versions of these boats have teak veneer-finished bulkheads and sidewalls, the earlier versions were painted with solid teak trim. We've added a few details, notably some bookshelves we made, but for the most part the interior of our boat is stock from 1973. This year the upgrade will be new main cabin cushions of a much more comfortable and ergonomic design. Here are some shots I've taken over the years....

View attachment 36419View attachment 36420View attachment 36421View attachment 36422View attachment 36423View attachment 36424

Marin - Kids on your boat??

Start with "form follows function" . The boat must be comfortable and safe to use. Some of those European boats have very poor access to the bow for working lines and anchors.
I also don't like those large sloping front windows that create a very hot green house in the driving area. Aft cabins are much quieter for sleeping when at anchor.
All sorts of broken sheer lines come and go and some become difficult to sell as they get dated.
A straight of slightly concave sheer will always be around because it just looks right.
The suitability of the boat for your intended use is more important than its looks. Buying a macho speedboat or offshore cruiser is just dumb for use on a lake, get a houseboat. Buy a boat that suits your current and near term plans not ten years out.

Marin - Kids on your boat??

In the sixteen years we've owned the boat they plus one other are the only ones we've allowed on. They're the daughters of good friends who used to live on Sucia Island in the San Juans. The photo was taken eleven years ago when our current dog was just a puppy. The family has since moved to another island and the girls are grown and into their own careers.

Now, that's more like it; Marin

Good aura in picture. Bet they matured into fine women!

We have plenty of teak and like it but w contrast like a panel of warm white FG here and there. Sailor of Fortune says "Marins boat is a nice mix of painted panels and bright finished wood and trim" .. as it should be IMO. And glossy wood inside is not to my liking. 100% glossy wood inside like the 83' Rhodes in cafesport's #4 post is out for me. I think I swing a bit toward modern style interiors.

Some boats are chopped up into very small cabins and I don't care for that. At least w/o one large spacious cabin or salon.

My biggest must have I don't have. I like dinettes. And as old deckhand says "Also windows at setting level in is important for the Admiral" Seating needs to be high enough to see out while socializing, underway or at anchor. And half of the people in a dinette even get to see where the boat is going. Yes I really like dinettes. Interestingly a common feature of older and smaller boats.

We have the settee as shown below and one good thing about it is one can stretch out on it and nap while the other steers the boat. To turn it into a dinette would cost our small boat considerable storage space. Bummer.

Attachments

• STH71158 copy 2.jpg
    STH71158 copy 2.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
I prefer the largest interior volume for the boat size. That lets out trunk cabin styles. A must have for me is a real queen size bed as it will mostly just be two of us on long periods aboard the second cabin accommodations don't matter much. An island bed is important so that you don't have to climb over each other for a head call. Plenty of room over the head of the bed for sitting up and reading. We said out last boat drinks 12 and sleeps 2, the maker said it sleeps 8, that depends on how friendly they are. A good shower separate from the toilet etc is a must. For us One head would have been fine,
An emergency exit hatch is critical in every cabin. Large salon if you intend to spend a lot of time on the boat because the
weather wont always be great. The salon seating must be comfortable for spending time out of the weather. I don't like dinettes but many do. I just find them uncomfortable. Galley down makes for more salon space as does single helm up top for best visibility.

Last edited:
I really like the look and feel of the rich wood

and cringe at the thought of sanding, varnishing and maintaining it.

Interiors

I am partial to the traditional interior, I agree that some contrast between teak and white walls tends to brighten things up a bit. The interior teak is varnished with a satin varnish, we recovered it about 5 -6 years ago. We bit the bullet and re-did the interior cushions last winter and covered the floor some so the dog wouldn't tear it up. .Some pics below.Granddaughter is taking a nap in the aft stateroom, the last features the new captain.

Attachments

• IMG_20140630_145017748_HDR 2.jpg
    IMG_20140630_145017748_HDR 2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0853.jpg
    IMG_0853.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0862.jpg
    IMG_0862.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 87
Nice interior. Ain't grand kids a blast! Innocent intelligence, and, our future leaders!

Man, that blue upholstery brightens things up!

All our wood is inside.

img_299395_0_6cef94ea62061568e682d6341ab2b052.jpg

img_299395_1_d83d8ce4f2b45cebbc52a73569104dcb.jpg

Thanks Art, we had wanted to brighten it up

My interior is pretty utilitarian-looking-- mostly fiberglass with just some wood trim. The walls are fiberglass with a regular gelcoat finish it looks like. Not very fancy but easy to clean. There is some sort of teak and holly knockoff sole in the pilothouse, but the rest of the floors are fiberglass with a bit of non skid, which I like. There is a snap out carpet for the master and guest cabin however.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421418570.093475.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421418570.093475.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 102
  • ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421418630.078886.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421418630.078886.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 88
  • ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421418648.363570.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421418648.363570.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 76
  • ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421418663.681859.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421418663.681859.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 90
  • ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421418681.481862.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421418681.481862.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 100
  • ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421418697.967965.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1421418697.967965.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Our Tolly exterior is wash n' wear FRP, glass surfaces with full sets Stainless Safety Rails!

Wood on outside of our Tolly are two 1" thick, broad, teak step-treads I fashioned and bolted to more narrow metal treads... one for entry to sun deck and one to flying bridge... as well as four small painted wood doors for cabinets on bridge and thin painted wood trim around both slider doors. And, of course, our mahogany flag pole that is stained and oiled,

Pretty stuff is all inside; easy to maintain.

Attachments

• TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 74
  • Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 74
cardude01,
Love your PY. That's the kind of "modern" I prefer. Much brighter than our boat and we like plain floors too. Ours need painting though.
You've got a very interesting helm and 1st mate "underway" arrangement. One of the things Chris dosn't like about our boat is that there's no 1st mate seating. I made her a removable "jump seat" .. she uses it but not usually.
You're settee is high for good visibility .. I like that.
Overall a wonderful layout and I like the amount of bright FG paneling.

Thanks. I kinda like it as well. Seems well put together.

I like traditional boat interiors, while blending in a bit of modern. We tried to achieve that on Infinity, by using new fabrics and modern appliances.

Attachments

• looking fwd.jpg
    looking fwd.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 103
  • looking stbd aft.jpg
    looking stbd aft.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 86
I like traditional boat interiors, while blending in a bit of modern. We tried to achieve that on Infinity, by using new fabrics and modern appliances.

I like It!!! Perfect blend of Modern and traditional. Winner winner, chicken dinner!:smitten:

Great look!!

I will add some of mine when I get back to the boat in a few weeks

my rear teak deck is to much wood outside

But I love all the interior wood

Yup....uh huh...I'll have what he's having!

That's perfection right there!!

Back
Top Bottom