Old 07-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Several things coming together got me into boating...

1. Reading 'Swallows and Amazons' & 'Wind in the Willows' when quite young and having a vivid imagination.

2. Converting my uncle's rowing boat into a sail boat by having someone hold a ruddy great piece of plywood up, while I stuck an oar over the back, and finding it worked....

3. My dad always saying the fishing was always better out in a boat - fishing being his one recreation, and we didn't have one then. I enjoyed indulging him while he was alive when I finally got one.

4. I enjoy just being around, near, on, in & under water, doing stuff, but on is best because it's warmer....

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #22

City: Squamish, B.C.
Vessel Name: Change of Heart
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
I was lucky to be born in Vancouver, adjacent to some of the most spectacular cruising waters on the planet. We always had boats in the family, both power and sail, as a kid I was a Sea Scout. My wife's family history kinda' parallels mine so it just seemed right that we would buy our own boat when we could afford to do so. Hopefully we can pass this on to our kids.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #23
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Although I grew up on an island my boyhood days were inland so far that I couldn't see the ocean anywhere. I had a fly rod in my hand when I was 9 or 10 and lived in a canoe when I could. I knew about all things country but little about the Ocean.

I do remembering visiting my cousins though and they live in an outport and of course they loved the ocean and spent a lot of time out cruising it in either a speed boat or putzing along in a dory. I remember one time we got caught in the middle of the harbour in a speed boat where I couldn't see the land most of the time. I believe the waves were 100' high hahaha but needless to say I was having fun. That hooked me.

Then one time I visited my brother who was a minister in a small outport town on another island just off the island of NL so to get there or back we took a ferry. I spent all the time on the deck. While on that island I spent most of my summer time down by the water and around small fishing boats. I couldn't wait to get my own.

Unfortunately I had to move away from my paradise to work like so many of my buddies and then came along wife ( family of boat lovers ), kids, careers burning up money right left and centre and traded up in the motorcycle world.

Our passions was the ocean and ocean view, simple living etc. so it wasn't until about 10yrs ago we started planning on where we would end up when we got all the work done. Back home became the focus where I had brother-in-laws that had boats, so the connection with the Ocean grew more and more. We started formulating a plan which included cruises, deep sea fishing and everything Ocean. After renting a boat for several years for 3hr cruises we started looking for a boat of our own. The rest is history.

With a father-in-law that lives and breaths building wooden boats, we ended up with a glass/wood speed boat he built in the mean time so he was just making sure the hook was set. Anyway from what I can tell, those that have boats ( big or small ) live a better life style then those that don't.

Elwin
Old 07-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #24
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
There are a number of boats around us in our marina with home ports in Montana, Idaho, and Utah. So I appreciate the concept. Do you get out to your boat fairly often or do you have someone looking after it if you don't?
We do our boating in time chunks so we are onboard for 5 or more months and then off for extended periods. When we're not there we have a couple of liveaboards who keep an eye on her but I think we'll stop doing that. It really makes no sense to pay for year round moorage for the way we use the boat. When we're onboard we're away from the dock and when we're not onboard the dock is actually a detriment. I think the next time we leave her it will be on the hard - maybe Campbell River or somewhere up the mainland coast. That would let me sleep better and act as an annual haulout - the overall cost would likely end up similar to what we have now.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #25

City: Manila
Vessel Name: Carabao
Vessel Model: Home built power tri
For me it was during Boy Scout camp, I got on a sailfish and never wanted to get off. Then using all my lawn mowing and paper route money I got a used Hobie, which got me into racing. Then I learned that some owners needed people to race on their boat. This put place like the Caribbean, Bermuda, Block Island, and San Francisco within my reach, places I had only read about.
Thank you troop 504
Boatgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #26
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobofthenorth View Post
I think the next time we leave her it will be on the hard - maybe Campbell River or somewhere up the mainland coast. That would let me sleep better and act as an annual haulout - the overall cost would likely end up similar to what we have now.
That's an interesting concept. I know the big boatyard in Bellingham, Seaview North, acquired a smaller yard across the bay in Fairhaven a couple of years ago and they offer longer term, covered dry storage there. One of the members of the boat club we're in put his GB36 there for the winter while he and his wife were in Arizona or wherever. I don't know how the cost compares to moorage, however.

We use our boat year round so the dry storage idea wouldn't work for us but for people who use their boat in chunks of time as you do and then are gone for chunks of time it could be a good strategy, particularly if when they are using the boat they're on the move so do not need any sort of permanent slip.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #27
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Boats were all consuming in my family's life-style before and after my birth. I stayed on and worked on the water/boats/boatyards in New England areas till I was mid 20's. Then I left the water completely - could say I was filled to the brim regarding boating... needed new things to experience. After couple decades + of enjoying other ventures/endeavors, some in inland regions, others at 6000 + mountainous elevations, I decided to get back into boating in SF Bay region... always loved boats; from my young years experiences I knew them and seagoing well - just needed a long midlife break before spending the last 33% of my life around boats. Now I'm a crazy boater again. Have three now, sold a sport fisher not long ago, and looking at a 36' sport fisher this week and next. Can see that as years progress I will be spending more and more time aboard boats - - > damn well till I die on one! With that said... Ive got 110 years age target in my sights and at 60 yrs (in condition of a 38 yr old) I have decades to enjoy my 2nd stage of boating life-years.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #28
Guru

Grew up on/in them, literally. I come from a commercial La Gulf coast fishing family. I would be papoosed and tucked into a nook or cranny on the boat from before I could walk. While commercial fishing of any sort holds NO appeal to me anymore I can't imagine not having a boat or living near (could see it everyday) navigable water.
The smell of diesel or two stroke exhaust on a crisp foggy morning is akin to comfort food for me. My mind goes back to "the good old days" immediately. Throw in a Yoohoo or chocolate milk and cinnamon swirls and I'm 5 yrs old sitting under the picking box heading out of the marina to go shrimping waiting to hear the engine throttle up so I can get some really good sleep!
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #29
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
Grew up on/in them, literally. I come from a commercial La Gulf coast fishing family. I would be papoosed and tucked into a nook or cranny on the boat from before I could walk. While commercial fishing of any sort holds NO appeal to me anymore I can't imagine not having a boat or living near (could see it everyday) navigable water.
The smell of diesel or two stroke exhaust on a crisp foggy morning is akin to comfort food for me. My mind goes back to "the good old days" immediately. Throw in a Yoohoo or chocolate milk and cinnamon swirls and I'm 5 yrs old sitting under the picking box heading out of the marina to go shrimping waiting to hear the engine throttle up so I can get some really good sleep!
Yo, Twiisted71 - I can relate to much you say... but not all. Your quote below is paraphrased to reflect my upbringing (in 1950s); using your same basic words... with some deletions due to differing experiences. About sleeping to the noise of engines... in cold NY months, as a youngen, mom would put me for sleep atop the engine box or hatch (depending on model boat) to keep me warm. To this day I fall asleep in seconds and noise can be completely shut out - no matter how stressful my life may be at the time! 2 cyl o/b exhaust is like a Three Musketeers candy to my senses. BTW I like your handle! Cheers, Art

"Grew up on/in them [pretty often for me, but not each and every day, like you]... I would be papoosed and tucked into a nook or cranny on the boat from before I could walk. The smell of diesel [or gas] or two stroke exhaust on a crisp foggy morning is akin to comfort food for me. My mind goes back to "the good old days" immediately. Throw in a Yoohoo or chocolate milk and cinnamon swirls and I'm 5 yrs old heading out of the marina waiting to hear the engine throttle up so I can get some really good sleep!"
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #30
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,

THE CHICKS!!!!!!!

Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #31

City: Merritt Island,Fl
Vessel Name: Sue Marie
Vessel Model: Prarie 29
When i was a youngster growing up,my father was an avid boater. His passion was harpoon swordfishing off the Mass coast. i started with him when I was seven and it still burns deeply.

One of our last conversation, before his death involved discussions about boats he would like to own. There is no place i would rather be then on the water and on a boat.

John
Sortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #32

City: South Puget Sound, WA
I grew up 300 miles from saltwater but by the time I was in the 6th grade I had read every biography in the school library related to seagoing explorers. Career and family kept me away from the sea but a business deal landed a 26 foot sailboat in my driveway. This provided 4 years of inland boating and occasional cruises in the San Jaun Islands.

Sailing is my hearts desire but the Admiral has no interest in sail and will certainly not go forward on deck. However, eight years ago when the Admiral decided I needed some form of diversion from my job stress we decided on a power boat. Thus came "Budds' Outlet" and it has been a great mutual enjoyment and diversion. The Admiral has now turned her powers of investigation towards our retirement boat. We are both looking forward to summer months in the Canadian gulf islands and inside passage. Who knows, maybe someday we will make it all the way to Skagway!
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #33
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
As a child my dad and I often went to watch the boat races in our home town, dad came from a boat less family but always seemed attracted to the water. When he had a chance to pick up an old class c racing hull that was past its racing days dad and I drove over to the place on a Saturday and loaded the old hull in the back of the truck. I was as happy as any six year old could ever be, I was a new boat owner!. I spent summers "racing" around the world... fending off pirates... exploring new places... all from my back yard on a old boat sitting on a pair of saw horses.

Dad knew how I was taken by the boat bug and kept looking for the next boat and when I was 14 we found a old crackerbox race boat that was for sale... one of the boats we had watched racing. The cracker became our first real boat... one that we actually floated ( if you dont count the summer I dug a big hole in the lawn... lined it with plastic.. and floated the first boat.... dad was less than pleased ) At sixteen dad signed the cracker box over to me and my official boat addiction was started.

The boat addiction has lasted for over 35 years, my count in boats owned has hit the over 25 mark.. it has gone from flat bottom drag boats to ski boats to sail boats to trawlers... and combinations of all types at the same time. Boats have carried me to ports afar, across both the Pacific and Atlantic... It has been a strong bond for our family and one I believe my two girls will also continue on with in their lives
HOLLYWOOD

as a side note.. I am writing this sitting on board after spending a great 4th of July as a family aboard... watching fireworks.. enjoying the summer..priceless!
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #34
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive
What go me into boating

My boating life began in my 30's when I would drive to Montana and flyfish. The best water was accessible by boat so I bought a yard sale raft, made a pvc rowing frame and fished. The frame creaked and cracked and should have probably blown apart before I replaced it with a real rowing frame. Years of floating and reading water hooked me. Then one year we took a a spring vacation with our German exchange student living with us. She wanted to see whales so we went to the San Juan's in April to camp and go whale watching. The God's watched over us with great weather and we went out on a small whale watching boat on a sunny spring day. My wife looked at me and we both said "We could do this!". One the way back home we stopped at Dagmars in Everett and climbed aboard boats for 3 1/2 hours just trying them out.

2 years of internet searching, reading and educating myself and we bought a 19' Starcraft Islander. Loaded it up for a trip in the San Juans and quickly realized it was too fast, not enough livable room but a good fishing boat. Took it to Northern Vancouver Island,Telegraph Cove later that summer and caught springs. Wow, the Broughtons were right there and we wanted to go. Right place, wrong boat. I just finished reading The Curve of Time and thought a boat like that would be nice. So we went back to the drawing board. Finally found a good starter boat, an Albin 25. Quickly realized I knew very little and we took a 3 day bare-boat charter course to learn driving skills. That was my best move in beginning boating, it gave me confidence and caution at the same time. Open heart surgery to remove a benign tumor in my wife's heart had us rethink some things. We sold our small herd of Morgan Horses we had been raising and took to the water. We took our Albin to Princess Louisa and almost every point in between Anacortes and there. Loved that boat. Same story, not as big as we wanted. So, our friends talked us into co-owning a boat which is where we are now. A 1977 Willard 30. Went to Desolation Sound last summer as our breakin cruise. 30 days aboard.

What we like about boating is it is an extension of our younger days of solitude in wild settings. Once on the water we are on our own, or so it feels. Love the adventure plus love meeting others and seeing other ways people are out boating. Sorry for the long post.

Keith
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #35

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
This is a snippet from a post on another board about how we got into boating...

~~~I'm no stranger to Oregon. Our honeymoon (1970) was a tour of 49 states in a Ford Bronco, to decide where we wanted to settle. We chose Grants Pass Oregon out of all 49 states (didn't get to Alaska until '05), eventually moving to Ashland. Those were the days and today we still consider the Rogue Valley our real home.

Ironic, it was boating that made us leave. I'm a born traveler...just love being on the move. From Oregon, we explored the West Coast by car and motorcycles. My wife and I each had 175 Hondas...hers was a CL175 (read road bike) and mine was an SL175 (read dirt bike). On a wild hair one day, I said to my new wife, "Let's ride these bikes to the East Coast" figuring I'd get a firm "Hell No!" and get it out of my system.

She said, "I can be ready in 2 weeks." And so off we went, over 7,000 miles, each on our own tiny bike. Had a blast.

About a year later, there was a huge gas scare...remember the rationing? I put extra tanks on the Bronco and we figured we'd make one last cross country trip before the gas ran out. On that trip we met a freind in Charleston SC who was in the process of buying a sailboat. We returned home determined to travel by sail after the gas ran out.

Two small sailboats later, we'd run out of inland lakes and were ready for bigger waters. The Pacific however, scared the daylights out of me with it's bars and long distances between harbors. We answered an ad in Sail Magazine for crew on a sailboat out of Syracuse NY, heading for the Caribbean.

We learned through a month or two of correspondence with the owner that there were 12 couples vying for the position, and with my limited sea experience I knew we'd have to do something drastic go get aboard. We sold all our stuff, listed our $6,500 house with a rental agency and drove the Bronco to Syracuse uninvited. I knocked on the fellow's front door, introduced my self and my wife and told him we were here to accept the position. He said he hadn't offered me the position and there were 12 other couples in the running. I spun around with an outstretched arm, encompassing the front yard and smugly inguired, "We'll where the hell are they?"~~~~

Anyway, that's how we got our start in boating.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #36

City: Squamish, B.C.
Vessel Name: Change of Heart
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
jeffnick gets my vote for best story!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #37
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Years ago I used to do a lot of night fishing in a bay south of Houma, Louisiana.
One evening we tied up my 23' Grady white an oil structure waiting for dark, a trawler (shrimp boat) converted for recreational use came over and anchored near us. They turned on the music, fired up the BBQ pit, broke out a bunch of beer, and had a great time waiting for the evening bite. They stayed out at anchor while we had to make the trip back in in the dark. I decided then to look into that type of boat, when I retired I bought a Camano and four years later the Monk 36 I now own. Strange enough I very seldom fish out of my trawler.
Either my Dad or I have had boats since I was 8.
Steve W.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Tupelo,Ms
Vessel Name: Jolly Time
Vessel Model: 36' Uniflite Sport Sedan
My Dad built our first houseboat on some floating barrels before I was born. We had an old ski boat with a 35 hp engine! Later we had several different ski boats over the years. While in college, I bought my first big boat, a 33 foot wooden chris craft sea skiff that needed tons of interior work. Sold it soon after running out of funds and bought MY first ski boat, a malibu skier. Went through several different ski boats, stingray, ??, mastercraft, then bought my current Uniflite 36 Sport Sedan this past March! Interior needs updating but love having another big boat!! I'm 44 years old so buying an old fixer upper was the only way to meet my budget.
21' Mastercraft Prostar
Jolly Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #39

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
jeffnick gets my vote for best story!
Had a few requests so more here... The first few paragraphs are same as posted above.
One More Time Around: The Early Days
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #40
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
As a child my dad and I often went to watch the boat races in our home town, dad came from a boat less family but always seemed attracted to the water. When he had a chance to pick up an old class c racing hull that was past its racing days dad and I drove over to the place on a Saturday and loaded the old hull in the back of the truck. I was as happy as any six year old could ever be, I was a new boat owner!. I spent summers "racing" around the world... fending off pirates... exploring new places... all from my back yard on a old boat sitting on a pair of saw horses.

Dad knew how I was taken by the boat bug and kept looking for the next boat and when I was 14 we found a old crackerbox race boat that was for sale... one of the boats we had watched racing. The cracker became our first real boat... one that we actually floated ( if you dont count the summer I dug a big hole in the lawn... lined it with plastic.. and floated the first boat.... dad was less than pleased ) At sixteen dad signed the cracker box over to me and my official boat addiction was started.

The boat addiction has lasted for over 35 years, my count in boats owned has hit the over 25 mark.. it has gone from flat bottom drag boats to ski boats to sail boats to trawlers... and combinations of all types at the same time. Boats have carried me to ports afar, across both the Pacific and Atlantic... It has been a strong bond for our family and one I believe my two girls will also continue on with in their lives
HOLLYWOOD

as a side note.. I am writing this sitting on board after spending a great 4th of July as a family aboard... watching fireworks.. enjoying the summer..priceless!
Great post, Hollywood!

FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote