Old 02-19-2016, 10:25 PM   #21
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
I can sew a little bit, but our FB is huge, crafting a bimini and full enclosure for it is not a job for a first time learning experience.
Nothing but time. Well, may need a lot of beer....

If you do a few small projects first, it will teach ya a butt load! you'll be surprised at how well a couple can work together and save some serious bucks.

Then again, I've seen a few couples that really shouldn't work together.

Bacchus set up a canvas tips and help post, take a look, might want to give it a go!

Best of luck, whichever way you go!

" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:35 PM   #22
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Here's the link if your so inclined.

DIY Canvas Tips, Tricks, Recommendations

" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:26 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Welcome to the marine industry in general. It's not just the canvas guys.
Different over here in Queensland right now. Marina offering half price hard stand, and shipwrights, trimmers and carpenters clamouring for work.

Trouble is I don't need anything done right now...bet you by the time I do, the 'specials' run will be over.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:34 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Wonder if a guy could set up a small canvas operation on the right kind of trawler
Old 02-20-2016, 12:03 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Different over here in Queensland right now. Marina offering half price hard stand, and shipwrights, trimmers and carpenters clamouring for work.

Trouble is I don't need anything done right now...bet you by the time I do, the 'specials' run will be over.
Interesting Peter. to minimise drift, I`ll send a PM.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #26

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Its just not your area. On the Columbia River we have the same problem. The guy I use does great work, but took him all summer to outfit my boat. The guy is extremely busy but when he tries to hire someone they either fail the drug test or want $40 an hour. So it isn't just Florida.

May I suggest visiting some of the shops and talk to them. Try not to impress you want the job done yesterday, rather once you agree on the price, offer to pay half, then discuss a deadline. What happens if he misses the deadline? Some free work, extra work or as I did a "fine" of $50 a day when he misses the deadline. I also got little freebies like flag covers, BBQ and winch covers for free......
I should change my location - I'm on the Columbia River in Portland, OR.

Can't agree more. I was waiting for a electrician to help me get started installing a new electrical panel that, with his supervision, I pre-wired in his shop. Like the guy very much & I consider him a friend. He has yet to show up when he says he will -- he is that busy. He told me that the "squeaky wheel gets the grease". My guess that is how he deals with the stress of his business. I'm looking at my new panel setting in a chair - waiting for him to show up & help me with Temp power. I can do it, I just don't have all the tools I need on the boat. So I'm waiting again. Give him the weekend off, then I'll go make eye contact with him on Monday. That's just the way it goes. Not my way of doing business. Just saying.

Addressing your statement regarding back charges. You bet!!! When you do that, it gets their attention fast!! What it will also do when you take their bid, is that, it will weed-out the want-to-be contractors.
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:42 PM   #27
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
When it comes to getting immediate action from boat vendors, our resident expert is Janice (aboard Seaweed). All issues related to delayed promises of work should be forwarded to her for constructive advisement.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #28
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
When it comes to getting immediate action from boat vendors, our resident expert is Janice (aboard Seaweed). All issues related to delayed promises of work should be forwarded to her for constructive advisement.
Thanks Larry... it's tough to hear you over the sound of my running engine.

And if there is anyone on this forum who has suffered through lies, obfuscations, down right lies, delays, missed promises, dates broken, poor workmanship, lousy details, "unique" (and not in a good way) design flaws, you should speak with me.

I failed and failed again. What I did not do was quit.

As for how to find someone that makes a promise and delivers, I wish I knew.

BandB spoke in a thread about her/his test for hiring folks. The three things that stuck out in my mind were these:
#1) No criticism of previous work or cutting down competitors. I've had that EVERYWHERE it seems and it Never makes the current guy look smarter.

#2) Professionalism -- when asked opinions a good solid reason why to do something one way and not another.

#3) Being willing to pay for that service too.

I'm at the lower end of the $$ scale and have relied on shade tree mechanics in the past. I'm done with that. I've learned a lot (way more than anticipated or desired) about this Kubota. It's surprisingly not that complicated. What I lack though is physical strength.

I don't have it and that's cost me time. The "kids" (anyone younger than me) don't realize that broken promises especially about time are felt far more as I age. Maybe two weeks to them doesn't matter, but to me, that's time. Stealing my time is NOT A GOOD THING.

Some workers steal your money. The time thieves are the worser of the two.

Have I mentioned Betsy (the engine) runs, and runs beautifully?!? If you don't own stock in Crest you might want to buy some. I'm smiling so much the toothpaste companies are bound to make a profit this year!
Old 02-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #29
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Janice

So happy to hear your engine is running well now.

You mentioned time. My career was with manufacturing companies and time and efficiency were so key. I learned the value of engineering the work and processes but also insisting on timely delivery by others. The penalty wasn't normally a dollar amount but that you'd never get work from us again.

Somewhat retired it's hard for me to put a value on my time. Is it what I could earn in an hour if working? Is it what I bill for an hour of my time as a consultant? Or is it zero because I'd be doing nothing that makes money and might even be spending money?

Emotionally I still value time and I'll spend to some degree to have it. I still have a hard time thinking of the cost of anything and not including anything for my time. For instance, you tell me I can buy a product for $100 or build it in 8 hours for $40 of parts. The way my mind works I immediately think I'm only making $7.50 an hour. Now if it's something I enjoy doing that's one thing, but otherwise I'd never do it.

You bring forth a much more important view of time though. You learned it through your cancer issues I'm sure. We all have limited time in our lives and we don't have any idea how much that is. So we really do need to treasure every moment. You rob me of time and you're stolen some of my most important possession. I think of it as the ultimate act of rudeness. Why? Because you're telling me that your time is more valuable than mine.

It's for that reason I have no tolerance for being late for an appointment or meeting. I refused to delay the start of meetings for late arrivals. And, I have very low tolerance for anyone who promises me something on a given date and don't deliver. Don't promise if you can't deliver. You're saying that what I have planned, what I intend to do isn't important to you, even though I'm your customer.

Now, I'll tell you that we, the consumers, have caused much of this decline. We refused to pay a premium for service. We don't hold people we deal with accountable. We return to them in the future and they do the same to us again. Does anyone here think Walmart provides A+ service? Well, we made them what they are as we continually selected them based on price only. We blame the service providers such as the mechanics for the trends to poor service, but we, as consumers, are really the ones to blame.

Even if it's not to anyone else, my time is important to me. Robbing me of my time is as bad to me as stealing money from me. I'm tolerant about exceptional problems that arise. Yes, we shipped 1.5% of our shipments late (vs. an industry average of 30+%). But we did notify every customer before the due date of any late items. That is an absolute demand I make from a mechanic or other vendor. At the very least you can keep me informed. If I have to call you the day after the due date to find out, I'm not at all happy about it.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 05:19 PM   #30
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
I guess you know this author then?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	You-Cant-Recycle-Wasted-Time.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	49056  
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:53 AM   #31
FF
Guru

Florida is a seasonal boat spot.

No company can staff for the peak season , and survive the many dry months .

ASK other boaters who does the "best" work , and get on line with them.

A personal visit to the shop you select is far better to get on line than a mere phone call.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:24 AM   #32

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
Drifting a bit; there is a merit badge in Boy Scouts, Personal Management, required for Eagle. When I was running a troop I would teach that badge and at some point hand the boy (usually about 14 or 15) a $20 bill and ask him if he'd rather have that or the next hour. They always close the $. Then I'd take the 20 back and ask them to perform a simple task for which I'd pay them $20, might take them 30 minutes to an hour. Then we'd talk about how they could earn an hour. Most got it; I hope they remember it.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:53 AM   #33
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
At one large marina they had an approved contractor list. 2 complaints and they were off the list. The contractor I picked was responsive, competent, and fairly priced.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Englewood, FL and Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:37 PM   #34
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Just an update here, as to how I'm coming along. I ended up getting 7 bids, 3 more than I intended. Three of the contractors I contacted near the beginning took so long to get bids to me that I crossed them off the list but they finally got back to me after the other four bids came in.

I ended up going with Scrimsher Yacht Canvas, he was actually the first guy I spoke with and he came highly recommended. He got his bid in to me quickly and he was priced near the lowest.

He originally told me the job would not be done until Mid May, but two boats in front of me on his list were delayed and he moved me up. It's almost done now, I'm happy so far. I'll post pics when finished.

BTW the bids ranged from $6,200 to $14,800, exact same materials for all bids.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #35
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: Southern Cross III
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Thanks for the follow up, pics when finished would be sweet
Old 04-26-2016, 08:33 AM   #36
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
As FF posted, no small business can balance out their workload, especially something seasonal like boat repairs. The smart thing to do is to contract for non-emergency work during the off season.

As for "Sew it yourself.", like most trades, canvas sewing takes some skill, training, experience and equipment. I've sewn things like seat and equipment covers myself, but the results are not as pretty as if I had paid to have a pro do them. I wouldn't take on something as difficult and visible as an entire bimini top.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote