Old 07-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #61
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Bikini's are a creation from the devil. That's why they are so damn HOT ... Thank God!!
Wifey B:

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:03 PM   #62
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Funny "thing in the water" story from way back: Bud and I were going to move a boat, and this was when cell phones were getting portable enough to have in a pocket. Of course there was a steep learning curve for all of us crawling around boats with the things in the pockets. We learned that when they smell water, they jump out!

So we are climbing in a little boat and it was pretty shallow. He is leaning over doing something and the phone does it's jump, skids along the dock and hits the water. Dude is P'd, of course. I tell him I have a trick to find the phone. I'll call his number and when it rings, it will blow bubbles. So he leans over and watches and I call his number. He's looking hard for bubbles!!! This guy was another engineer!!! After a while he thought about it and asked if I was sh!tting him. Of course I was and admitted it. He was now doubly p'd!!!

Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #63
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Funny "thing in the water" story from way back: Bud and I were going to move a boat, and this was when cell phones were getting portable enough to have in a pocket. Of course there was a steep learning curve for all of us crawling around boats with the things in the pockets. We learned that when they smell water, they jump out!

So we are climbing in a little boat and it was pretty shallow. He is leaning over doing something and the phone does it's jump, skids along the dock and hits the water. Dude is P'd, of course. I tell him I have a trick to find the phone. I'll call his number and when it rings, it will blow bubbles. So he leans over and watches and I call his number. He's looking hard for bubbles!!! This guy was another engineer!!! After a while he thought about it and asked if I was sh!tting him. Of course I was and admitted it. He was now doubly p'd!!!

That's quick thinking and damn funny! A practical joke on his brain cells... and... it worked. No wonder he's double P'd! At himself mostly!!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #64
Guru

while at anchor in the keys 1 night I dropped a small LED flashlight overboard. It was night time so I saw it go all the way to the bottom. The damn thing stayed lit for 3 or 4 hours like it was mocking me
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:14 AM   #65
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Just my ego.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:56 AM   #66
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
My buddy Darrell and I were fishing in relatively shallow water near the Turkey Point power plant. He dropped his sunglasses over the side. Not a problem, Darrell is a very experienced diver. He took his wallet out of his pants and jumped in. The look on his face just as his feet were hitting the water was priceless. He had just remembered his new cell phone was in his shirt pocket.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #67
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I allow myself a "stupid" budget of $1000 each year. Dropping cell phones in the water, same with sunglasses, speeding tickets, fender benders, dock rash, locksmith service, wallet on car roof...etc. Anything that costs money due to me being stupid goes in the stupid budget column.

If I go a year and still have not hit $1k, I pat myself on the back and feel good. It's amazing how this relieves the sting of doing something dumb.

And cell phones are the worst. Probably half the money I waste is due to those infernal contraptions. Sunglasses next. One month lost three pretty decent pairs and that exceeded how much I spent on diesel.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:40 PM   #68
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
When I'm on a boat I always try to wear a shirt with Velcro closed flaps on the pockets.
My cell phone has fallen out of regular shirt pockets way to often.

My favorite boating shirt is the Colombia Bonehead.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:48 PM   #69
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Not much lost over the side since moving to powerboats, but in a bunch of years of sailboat racing, I can still remember the $ound$ these make when they hit the water . . .

Old 07-05-2016, 01:50 PM   #70
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I allow myself a "stupid" budget of $1000 each year. Dropping cell phones in the water, same with sunglasses, speeding tickets, fender benders, dock rash, locksmith service, wallet on car roof...etc. Anything that costs money due to me being stupid goes in the stupid budget column.

If I go a year and still have not hit $1k, I pat myself on the back and feel good. It's amazing how this relieves the sting of doing something dumb.

And cell phones are the worst. Probably half the money I waste is due to those infernal contraptions. Sunglasses next. One month lost three pretty decent pairs and that exceeded how much I spent on diesel.
A great concept. We never called any part of our budget stupid but some of the miscellaneous is just as you described. As long as we're within budget, we aren't stressed by spending. Any budget without a miscellaneous or other or as you call it stupid is going to end up with unbudgeted expenditures.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:13 PM   #71
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
"Not much lost over the side since moving to powerboats, but in a bunch of years of sailboat racing, I can still remember the $ound$ these make when they hit the water . . .

"

When I was sailboat racing, the first rule after "you must return with the same number of crew as you start out with" was "if you drop anything, (Most dropped item of course is the winch handle) you pay to replace it"

Other important rule to note: " the cost of any item dropped overboard is inversely proportional to its bouyancy"

My own losses: nanny (recovered), multiple glasses, hats, buckets, phones, wine bottle (unopened - they sink fast)
But never a winch handle.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #72
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
When I'm on a boat I always try to wear a shirt with Velcro closed flaps on the pockets.
My cell phone has fallen out of regular shirt pockets way to often.

My favorite boating shirt is the Colombia Bonehead.
I have rules: Place phone in open box at head of bed. Do not touch unless necessary. Do not place in any pocked. Do not take outside for calls unless absolutely necessary. When going out in tow behind runabout, and phone may be needed, carry it in floatable sealed box.

So far so good!!

When on boat... I'm not into using cells and putters very much, anyway. Have to do so too much in my daily life. Boating is for swims and cruises and doing other things, seeing other items than watching cell and putter screens - IMHO.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #73
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I tried to drop my wife but it was on purpose. If she reads that I am a dead man
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:45 PM   #74
Guru

Admiral lost multifocal specs overboard last weekend in Refuge Bay. Turns out it was my fault for suggesting we look for RMYC moorings to pick up.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #75
Veteran Member

City: Portsmouth, VA
Vessel Name: Nickel Plate
Vessel Model: Jeanneau Velasco 43
Glasses, cell phone, and fiberglass on a breakwater, luckily above the waterline, and that's one big trip
fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:40 PM   #76
Art
Guru

Mid 60's we used to run into a pilot and wife during summer trips to Block Island, Mather's Vineyard and the like. Great people; with a fine condition early1960's 36'
Egg Harbor. We even rafted once. One summer we did not see them. Found that his wife was lost overboard. Never saw him or the boat again. Tragic. Heard it happened on crossing to Block Island during a surprise storm.