Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-10-2016, 12:06 AM   #41
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmuir;
Cummins 555's
How many hours on those beasts?
__________________
Advertisement

Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:36 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
nmuir's Avatar
 
City: West Vancouver
Country: Canada
Vessel Model: 50' Gulf Commander
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 122
Not exactly sure on the hours as the meters were disconnected at 1,700. My guess is maybe 2,500 - 3,000? Hope is they have many hours left in them as they are non-turbo and run at low revs. Rebuilt injectors last year as a preventative measure. Oil analysis results are great. And you are right - they are beasts!
__________________

nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:38 AM   #43
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,669
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Drop center refers to the output shaft being below the input shaft. The alternative is the two shafts being inline (at the same level).

Ted
Thanks OC...
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
johnma's Avatar
 
City: Philadelphia
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 322
ZF / Hurth 220A behind a 6LYTA Yanmar 370 hp.
(Hurth marine is part of ZF and Hurth off hwy is part of Dana

John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:40 AM   #45
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,319
Kanzaki KM4A...but not sure what the gear ratio is. The engine, service, and parts manual are all at the boat, but I haven't found any notation of the gear ratio yet.

The PO squeezed the 100hp Yanmar 4JH2-UTE into where a 65hp engine once sat, so I can't get a good look at what the information plate says. Can you decipher it from the photo below or have an educated guess?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kanzaki KM4A.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	49683  
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:54 AM   #46
Guru
 
City: Doha
Country: Qatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
How many hours on those beasts?
If I recall right, those 555's were below square - like 4.5" bore by 4" stroke, which is the opposite of most of the traditional marine diesels which are long stroke/high torque.

Can you comment on any noticeable characteristics or your engines in particular?
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:27 AM   #47
Senior Member
 
Capt. Jon's Avatar
 
City: Alabama
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Vessel Model: Californian 48' CPMY
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmuir View Post
Twin disc MG509 2.47:1 on Cummins 555's, 2" shafts
I once had a 29' Scotty sport fish with a pair of those. The boat was fast but man it was really loud!
__________________
Jon
------------------------------------------------
Waypoint's are abstract, often having no obvious relationship to any distinctive features of the real world.
Capt. Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:59 AM   #48
Guru
 
MurrayM's Avatar
 
City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Kanzaki KM4A...but not sure what the gear ratio is. The engine, service, and parts manual are all at the boat, but I haven't found any notation of the gear ratio yet.

The PO squeezed the 100hp Yanmar 4JH2-UTE into where a 65hp engine once sat, so I can't get a good look at what the information plate says. Can you decipher it from the photo below or have an educated guess?
Found this PDF...
http://boatswainslocker.com/customer...ansmission.pdf

...where the KM4A ratios are listed as...

1.47:1, 2.14:1, 2.63:1, and 3.30:1

...so until I get a better peek, photo, or rubbing, it looks like it's probably 2.14:1
__________________
"The most interesting path between two points is not a straight line" Murray Minchin
MurrayM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:39 PM   #49
Guru
 
Ski in NC's Avatar
 
City: Wilmington, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
If I recall right, those 555's were below square - like 4.5" bore by 4" stroke, which is the opposite of most of the traditional marine diesels which are long stroke/high torque.

Can you comment on any noticeable characteristics or your engines in particular?
Not uncommon for V-block engines to use under square bore/stroke ratio. Long stroke means long conrod and distance between head and crank gets pretty far. On a v-block this means a really wide beast, and that cramps lots of installs. So they cheat a bit. Tall is easier to handle than wide.

Nothing really wrong with undersquare, a little more heat loss per displacement. Torque goes up with bigger bore, too, so long stroke is not the only way to do it.
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 12:46 PM   #50
Guru
 
Hawgwash's Avatar
 
City: Sidney
Country: Canada
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Not uncommon for V-block engines to use under square bore/stroke ratio. Long stroke means long conrod and distance between head and crank gets pretty far. On a v-block this means a really wide beast, and that cramps lots of installs. So they cheat a bit. Tall is easier to handle than wide.

Nothing really wrong with undersquare, a little more heat loss per displacement. Torque goes up with bigger bore, too, so long stroke is not the only way to do it.
Fascinating, thanks Ski.
Your words make or easy mental pics.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:31 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
City: Baltimore, MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 156
Hurth 630A
johnrupp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:27 AM   #52
Guru
 
fryedaze's Avatar
 
City: Solomons Island Md
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,052
Velvet Drive 7000series, 2.66:1' rated for 550 HP, behind 210 HP 6BT5.9M
Haven't seen too many 7000s
__________________
Dave Frye
Fryedaze, MC 42 (Monk 42') 1989 Overseas Co
http://mvfryedaze.blogspot.com/
fryedaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:36 AM   #53
Guru
 
C lectric's Avatar
 
City: Somewhere
Country: , Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,860
single Cummins engine V555M and gear T.D. MG506 @ 2.5:1 with a hair over 6,000 hrs. on them.
__________________

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012