Views:	55
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	53151  

Old 06-16-2016, 08:05 PM   #102
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Marty, your feet are different sizes and they are on the wrong legs!
Oh, wait, never mind.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:21 PM   #103
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
Crocs or bare
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-02 06.43.31.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	53162   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-27 12.25.54.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	53163  
Old 06-16-2016, 10:11 PM   #104
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Keen closed toe sandals, wear them all the time unless there is snow or the occasion requires shoes.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:42 PM   #105
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Any shoe manufacturer in the world will make shoes for him. Rest assured the shoe manufacturers have his foot mold and are always ready to oblige.
I actually work for a company that made some shoes for Shaq. We had to get a custom mold of his feet, they took a real beating over the years in the NBA. Our shoes are in European sizing, a size 42 is around a US size 10, a 50 is about a size 16. IIRC, Shaq took a size 56.

He bought 20 pairs, and paid around $10,000 for them.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:04 PM   #106
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Yeah, PF is a chronic issue. Many years as a long distance runner got me very familiar with it. One of the reasons that I don't wear boat shoes unless I am going to be on the boat. I also avoid going barefoot.

Since I can't run anymore, I can be more flexible in shoe choice than I used to be.
Guys, wearing an insert or orthotic in your shoe all the time is the wrong way to deal with Plantar Fasciitiis, you'll never get over it unless you do something to improve the flexibility in your feet and strengthen your lower legs/feet. Most docs tell patients this, but they don't listen as they just want a quick fix/magic bullet. It's easy to find someone who will take your money to make you an orthotic.

Orthotics are like a cast for your foot. Just like you wouldn't put a cast on a broken wrist and keep it on for the rest of your life, (a cast adds a lot of support, right?) you shouldn't wear inserts on a long term basis. You're weakening your feet and limiting their range of motion.

Don't get me wrong, heavy arch support has its place, just like a crutch or cast or neck brace does, just not forever.

Move your feet, they are meant to be dynamic and have tons of moving parts. Pick stuff up with your toes or use them to wad up a towel. Stretch them them against the base of a wall. Go barefoot when appropriate. Take it slow but move away from orthotics. Your feet will be better in the long run.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:53 PM   #107
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Doug gives good advice. I used to have a list of things for a runner to do to deal with PF. One of the big ones was to never go barefoot until the problem is under control. Now that my PF is under control I go barefoot frequently at home, but still don't make a habit of wearing non-supportive shoes for extended periods on hard surfaces.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:34 AM   #108
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
I have two pairs of Angelfish by Sperry. Kids size 3 is what fits best. I shop eBay. Kids never wear out their shoes so I get a lot of wear out of already broken-in shoes and for far less than retail prices.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:59 PM   #109
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
I have two pairs of Angelfish by Sperry. Kids size 3 is what fits best. I shop eBay. Kids never wear out their shoes so I get a lot of wear out of already broken-in shoes and for far less than retail prices.
Wifey B: Kids size three? Omg. You're a 19th century lady. Seriously, at the start of the 20th century the average size for women was 3.5 to 4. At the end of the century it was 8.5 to 9. Actually not as much difference as one things. From a 5 to a 9 is only 1 inch. Supposedly the cause of growth is Pizza. lol. Ok, Time sort of said that.

“medical experts believe that eating high-density foods such as pizza and processed foods during puberty stimulates the growth hormone.”

I'm embarrassed now. I wear a size 9. But so does Rhianna. Kate Winslet wears an 11.

I think small feet are so cute and lady like. So, my feet are large.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 01:11 PM   #110

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABfish View Post
The Sperry's I've had seem to come standard with a funky smell. They're the only pair of shoes I've had that smell bad after one week of wear.

I tried a pair of West Marine boat shows. They're reasonably comfortable but not durable.

I've been wearing a pair of Columbia boat shoes for a year. So far, so good.
My Sperrys did not come pre-smelly. I had to take care of that myself.
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #111
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Guys, wearing an insert or orthotic in your shoe all the time is the wrong way to deal with Plantar Fasciitiis, you'll never get over it unless you do something to improve the flexibility in your feet and strengthen your lower legs/feet. Most docs tell patients this, but they don't listen as they just want a quick fix/magic bullet. It's easy to find someone who will take your money to make you an orthotic.

Orthotics are like a cast for your foot. Just like you wouldn't put a cast on a broken wrist and keep it on for the rest of your life, (a cast adds a lot of support, right?) you shouldn't wear inserts on a long term basis. You're weakening your feet and limiting their range of motion.

Don't get me wrong, heavy arch support has its place, just like a crutch or cast or neck brace does, just not forever.

Move your feet, they are meant to be dynamic and have tons of moving parts. Pick stuff up with your toes or use them to wad up a towel. Stretch them them against the base of a wall. Go barefoot when appropriate. Take it slow but move away from orthotics. Your feet will be better in the long run.
Doug,
Interesting
I got "over it" a long time ago but I'm paranoid about getting it back. I was told never to get up after being down for a time and put my weight on my feet. So I have arch supportive "slides" that I wear around the house. Beyond that I always wear leather shoes w inserts. My feet have been fine (OK) for 12 years but lately i've had a problem w hot feet in warm weather (we don't have hot weather here.
I had orthotics made in the early 70's but didn't work well. The inserts have. Perhaps there was an unusual reason for that and I should give orthotics another chance? Would be hard to get motovated when I have no real problem now and orthotics did'nt work in the past.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #112
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
When I speak of inserts, I'm typically speaking of just better inserts than the ones that come in shoes. Those out, new in. Dr. Scholls to the rescue. I've just found the support of so many shoes to be inadequate. I think some of it comes from liking good basketball shoes which typically have excellent support and other casual shoes just not comparing.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:39 AM   #113
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Yeah, I can't wear them, either. They're idea of "wide" sizes is probably about a B.

Wouldn't hurt if folks here commented on makers with truly wide size, like EEE at least and EEEE would be better.

And knowing about non-slip orthopedic options would be nice, too... for those of us who have been mangled a bit over the years, put back together with screws and such. Best I've found so far are the Rockport walking shoes in W (probably really about a 2E) for general purpose and cooler weather, and for on the boat a lighter weight sport shoe they make, also in W (IIRC).

And some of the TEVA sandals actually do better in the ortho department than some shoes. Especially useful when we're going into the water...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
What lengths are you guys experiencing the width issues in? I often have to order due to size, but guess my width is not disproportional to my length. I have noticed that many only have XW up to size 12, then only W. I know Sperry only offers XW in Classic and Billfish, but not in Goldcup or Billfish Ultralight. The Ultralight is medium only.

Athletic shoe brands are far easier to find in large sizes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I usually can't even get my foot into the Sperry's I've tried in their widest size (probably XW), Topsiders, I think... in my normal size 9, or sometimes 9½ depending on brand.

I think XW = B in other brands.

I'd forgotten to mention my Sebago deck shoes. The WW version is wide enough to get into, in my normal size...

-Chris
Old 06-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #114
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Skechers Relaxed Fit (pic at Gastons #14) for light all road condition traction, minimum weight, and something my abused, bent, and wide feet can tolerate for hours and miles on end. The synthetic leather uppers (also available in fabric, but never tried) dry in minutes.

They do wear out (soles) pretty quick in street service, last about forever with boat use. Not a fashion statement.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:20 AM   #115

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Sandals for Everyone!

Teva or Columbia. Easy to purchase, decent quality, good gription, wear forever or almost.

Crocs; decent grip when new; absolutely lethal on any surface after they start to wear. Us old people break hips wearing Crocs.

bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote