What factors were/are critical in selecting your trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh. and of course, having a previous owner that is picky and worrisome about his "baby" before it becomes yours.
biggrin.gif

Missing from most posts is budget, for both purchase and operating. When budget enters the equation the list of desirements changes.

I'd add:

-*nothing older than 6 years
- no Cat 3126, 2 stroke, Cummins 555 allowed
- bow thruster
- separate washer and dryer
- minimum waterline length 44'
- active stablizers
- 1000 mile range minimum at normal cruise RPM

I see Dashew is designing a 112' FPB that will get 1 mpg at 12.5 knots. That is my goal. Check it out on setsail.com. Now, back to the point about budget.

Navigator wrote:

The passerelle is on the boat (hydraulic with remote control)

Don

-- Edited by Navigator on Thursday 11th of November 2010 06:24:17 AM
Wow!! Great. Now I have Passerelle envy.

Maybe I just like the word.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 11th of November 2010 11:47:23 AM

skipperdude wrote:Navigator wrote:

The passerelle is on the boat (hydraulic with remote control)

Don

-- Edited by Navigator on Thursday 11th of November 2010 06:24:17 AM
Wow!! Great. Now I have Passerelle envy.

Maybe I just like the word.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 11th of November 2010 11:47:23 AM

*haha! it is one of those fun words.

We are still in the looking stage until our sailboat sells. The day it sells, I will be on a road trip to find a trawler. Yachtworld.com is the greatest invention since the donut.

So far we have decided on a used aft cabin model and single engine 120 to 150 HP andcapable of long trips. Not a whole lot of other requirements at the time. Things like a bow thruster would be nice but not essential.

"The day it sells,"

Everything sells if the price is right.

Personally I would be on the road looking at motor boats to see what there is , find a " deal " , and increase my list of "good" boats and "bad " boats for my service requirements..

FF wrote:
..Personally I would be on the road looking at motor boats to see what there is , find a " deal " , and increase my list of "good" boats and "bad " boats for my service requirements..
*Actually I already have looked at several dozen in the last 2 weeks and even made an offer on one particular trawler. This is now in negotiation. I hate to buy a 2nd boat when the first isn't sold yet but I will if the price is right.

Fortunately I live in one of the largest boating areas in the US. Lots to choose from. If I find a good deal in Fl. or NC for example, I will check it out also.

-- Edited by Tony B on Thursday 28th of July 2011 09:10:16 AM

-- Edited by Tony B on Thursday 28th of July 2011 09:11:19 AM

As for my sailboat, I spoke to a man from Panama the other day. He will be flying up to Houston to check out my boat - again. I remember him from about 2 years ago when he walking the dock looking for my boat. he offferd to purchase it and at the time I was not interested. Anyway, he saw my boat come up for sale and is very interested. This happened 1 day before I listed my boat so if he makes the purchase, I will not have to pay a brokers fee on it. The broker wrote down his name on the contract exempting this guy and one other. I told both guys about that and the savings will be passed off to them 100% and I end up with the same amount of money. I figure that this may be a good incentive, after all, things can change between now and then.
I am not one of those lucky people, I usually get good buys but I work for it. If I stand around waiting for something to happen, it usually dont.
Like the old expression "the harder I work, the luckier I get"

Back
Top Bottom