Old 10-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #21

City: LaPaz ,Mexico and the Sea of Cortez
Vessel Name: Delta Swizzler
Vessel Model: 1988 58' Vantare
RE: What factors were/are critical in selecting your trawler?

We are still looking, but on the list:

Pilothouse & flybridge ( we have alot of days great to be outside)
Galley up
Access to the flybridge from the pilot house
A bed we could walk around enough and not have to climb into or over each other
Nice guest room
Small efficent twin deisels
Good generator
Walk in engine room
Aft or mid Master cabin

Like I said we are still looking,

Dswizzler

Dswizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #22
Guru

What factors were/are critical in selecting your trawler?

For me the most important aspect of a boat was to answer the question: Is the wife really happy with this boat. Nothing else really matters.

My go fast relatively recent vintage Carver was not my first choice, however my decision to let my wife have the final say was a wise one, because she absolutely loves the boat and is still excited about going out on it.

All the negatives on this boat can be dealt with, but having a reluctant wife that really doesn't like the boat is in my opinion an issue impossible to deal with.

-- Edited by timjet on Thursday 21st of October 2010 10:03:13 AM

-- Edited by timjet on Thursday 21st of October 2010 10:04:25 AM

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

We kind of fell into the whole power boat thing.* We sold our sailboat in fall of 2008 and went into a partnership with another couple on a larger sailboat with the intention of sailing it in the Pacific Cup (SF to Hawaii) in 2010.* It didn't take us long to decide we much preferred having our own boat and we decided as soon as we finished the Pac Cup we would get out of the partnership and get our own boat again.* We considered lots of different sailboats in 2009 but early this year*my husband fell in love with a Pacific Trawler 37 on our dock.* The owner acutally let us borrow it a few times.* It was a fun little boat but not really what I wanted.* Ulitmately the owner was not interested in selling*and we started really looking at "trawlers".* We started looking at CHBs and were leaning towards a galley up.* My husband really wanted twins as he was nervous about maneuvering a single (he is much better at it than he thinks he is but still).***

When it came down to it, we simply fell in love with this boat the second we walked on to it.*

Things we liked (in no particular order):
diesels (did NOT want gassers no matter what)
island double berth
outdated electronics (yes this was a plus, husband likes updating the electronics to his taste)
teak and holly sole
galley down (not what we thought we wanted but ended up preferring it)
Adequate V-berth for guests if needed
Huge hanging lockers
great access to back of electrical panel
diesel heater
gen set
ice maker (though it broke the first weekend! LOL)
No teak decks
Nice sized flybridge
well maintained, maintenance records provided by PO of 16 years

We hadn't been looking at sundecks and I am not real crazy about the big butt or the lack of storage from the deck but I LOVE the master stateroom and all the storage we have down there.* There is someone on here who cracks that you don't need all that room in your stateroom because who spends time down there anyway but I LOVE it and it was worth the trade-off for me.* I am very nearsighted and when I wake up I am sometimes not sure if I am on the boat or at home.* I sure never had that run through my head on the sailboat.

Also we looked at some larger boats and that felt TOO BIG.* I wanted something where I felt I had some perspective from the helm as to where my bow and stern were without feeling like I had sacrificed on size inside.* This boat fits that bill.*

We didn't really look at that many boats while shopping but we have been on enough boats in our lives that we knew we'd "know it when we saw it" and we did!
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -

Going against the tide a bit, we actually didn't set out wanting a trawler-type boat. At the time we had-- and still have--- a trailer fishing boat that's fast, and we wanted to get a larger boat that was fast, too. And we would still love to have that--- neither one of us likes the glacial, plodding speed of a "trawler."

However before we began to really start thinking about specific types of larger boats a friend suggested that we charter a larger boat to see if we even liked doing this. We'd been flying floats over the PNW, BC raincoast, and SE Alaska region for years so were familiar with the area but knew nothing about running a larger boat in these waters.

So we called a good friend in the local marine engine and generator manufacturing industry and he recommended a charter company that was owned by a friend of his. This company was Grand Yachts Northwest and they chartered GBs exclusively. We chartered a GB36, liked the boat (other than the pathetic speed) and a couple of years later bought our own, albeit a much older one than the one we'd chartered.

Our primary criteria was to get a boat suited for these (coastal and inside) waters. We also wanted a high-quality boat and for a production boat, it's pretty hard to beat a GB, even when they're old as long as they've been well looked after. Unfortunately an older GB tends to dictate Ford Lehman engines which we did not want for reasons that have already been discussed ad nauseum but we figured there were worse choices so we didn't complain (much). So far they've been okay.

Since we knew so little about this type of boating when we started we didn't have much in the way of specific criteria. My wife wanted a propane stove/oven--- she hates cooking with electricity. We wanted good visibility from the main cabin, which the GB provides very nicely. I wanted decent engine access which a GB has even in the smaller sizes. It's not wonderful but I can get around the outside of both engines if I have to.

With regards to engines, the GB36 we'd chartered was a single with a bow thruster.* The narrowboats we run in England are singles, the floatplanes we fly are singles, so we didn't have*a preference for one or two engines when we decided to buy a boat of our own.* As it happened, the boat we got is a twin, and while I still have no problems with the idea of a single engine boat, we would probably not buy one were we ever to be in the market for a different boat.* It's not the maneuverability--- I believe you can accomplish anything with a single that you can with a twin even without a bow thruster--- but because my wife feels more confident with two engines under the floor than one.* We've needed the second engine four times since we've owned the boat and it is nice to be able to finish the run on our own rather than on the end of an expensive rope.

We both prefer a pilothouse design so the GB fails in that regard. But the visibility is very good from the lower helm station. Neither one of us cared about having a flying bridge--- the fact the GB has one makes for a nice place to sit if the weather is cooperative (it rarely is) but we never run the boat from up there. We both prefer a teak deck surface to non-skid fiberglass in terms of traction and walking on it so the GB was a plus in that regard even though a teak deck--- particularly an older one--- does require some maintenance.

The rain-forest of teak trim on the exterior of the GB doesn't bother us--- I rather like working on wood (when I have the time). I used to re-finish gun stocks (for pay) when I was in college so the exterior of our boat is sort of an extension of that, only I don't get paid for doing it.

So I guess the bottom line answer to the question that started this discussion is that we didn't want a trawler and we're not huge fans of GBs. But it gets us out on the water in a reliable fashion which is certainly better than not being out on the water at all, and other then the lack of speed and less-than-desireable aesthetics, the GB has done well for us and it fits what we want to spend on boating.

Now that we know what we know, I'd put the short list of what we'd want in a boat as follows:

1. Fast (15 knots at least, preferably more)
2.* Well built, strong hull.
3.* Two engines.
4.* Pilothouse design.
5.* Good visibility from main cabin (some boats have you sit so low you can't see out the windows)
6.* Europa design in terms of a covered and encloseable*aft deck.
7.* Propane galley.
8.* Two heads (and two showers if possible).
9* Generator.
10.* Two separate staterooms.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 21st of October 2010 12:15:48 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #25
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:"When it came down to it, we simply fell in love with this boat the second we walked on to it."
__________________________________________________ _____________
Great statement and one I think is the most important. If you don't love the boat, you will find all kinds of things that bug you. On the other hand, loving the boat* means that you compromised on those same things. (very little bugging is apparent.)
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #26
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

When looking, we came from sail, so had a lot of "boating" but no "trawlering" experience.
galley down wasn't an issue, as most sail is very much galley down. twin v single, didn't matter to us, as all sail is single, so we would take what we got.
we looked at a lot of boats, saw a lot of different configurations. Liked a lot of them. So what is really important, after all of that? Not much!
Twins are great, but I know I could have handled single, without a thruster.
Galley down is great, but I could have put up with the reduction in saloon space with galley up.
Teak decks are great, but I could have easily handled FG decks.
No headroom in the engine room is a PITA, and gets to be more so as I get older. I don't spend much time down there, though, as my Volvos are so maintenance free, I get feeling guilty that I don't have to spend money on them, so I can live with the lack of headroom.
Propane and Diesel stoves are both great. Especially the diesel stove. I wouldn't have anything else.
Flybridge with easy steps. rather than a vertical ladder, important. You want to be able to come and go from the FB, no matter what the weather.
Affordability, so none of those brandnames that have inflated prices unrelated to the condition of the boat.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:58 AM   #27

Dswizzler - "We are still looking, but on the list:"

Not now....** Congratulations.

-- Edited by mfeene01 on Wednesday 3rd of November 2010 06:04:39 AM
mfeene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #28
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

1. Diesel2. Walk around queen.
3. Storage
4. Economy, green as we could find. *Solar and wind too.
5. Ability to enjoy the water from various perspectives, IE. Pilothouse, Boat Deck, Veranda, Bow, and Salon.
6. as close to a non-depreciating asset as we could find under 200K
7. Space, comfort
8. Simple systems with good Engine access
9. Good looper and Bahamas boat
10. Higher Helm area, Fly-Bridge or raised Pilothouse

Good luck with your search.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:23 PM   #29
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
Navigator wrote:

A passarelle was also important
So do you have on on your boat or at the dock?

SD

skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 05:23 AM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kekada
Vessel Model: Seahorse 54

The passerelle is on the boat (hydraulic with remote control)

Don

-- Edited by Navigator on Thursday 11th of November 2010 06:24:17 AM
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:55 AM   #31
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Oh. and of course, having a previous owner that is picky and worrisome about his "baby" before it becomes yours.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:08 AM   #32
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

Missing from most posts is budget, for both purchase and operating. When budget enters the equation the list of desirements changes.

I'd add:

-*nothing older than 6 years
- no Cat 3126, 2 stroke, Cummins 555 allowed
- bow thruster
- separate washer and dryer
- minimum waterline length 44'
- active stablizers
- 1000 mile range minimum at normal cruise RPM

I see Dashew is designing a 112' FPB that will get 1 mpg at 12.5 knots. That is my goal. Check it out on setsail.com. Now, back to the point about budget.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #33
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
Navigator wrote:

Don

Wow!! Great. Now I have Passerelle envy.

Maybe I just like the word.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 11th of November 2010 11:47:23 AM
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:Navigator wrote:

Don

Wow!! Great. Now I have Passerelle envy.

Maybe I just like the word.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Thursday 11th of November 2010 11:47:23 AM

*haha! it is one of those fun words.
waterhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #35
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986

We are still in the looking stage until our sailboat sells. The day it sells, I will be on a road trip to find a trawler. Yachtworld.com is the greatest invention since the donut.

So far we have decided on a used aft cabin model and single engine 120 to 150 HP andcapable of long trips. Not a whole lot of other requirements at the time. Things like a bow thruster would be nice but not essential.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:29 AM   #36
FF
Guru

"The day it sells,"

Everything sells if the price is right.

Personally I would be on the road looking at motor boats to see what there is , find a " deal " , and increase my list of "good" boats and "bad " boats for my service requirements..
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
FF wrote:
..Personally I would be on the road looking at motor boats to see what there is , find a " deal " , and increase my list of "good" boats and "bad " boats for my service requirements..
*Actually I already have looked at several dozen in the last 2 weeks and even made an offer on one particular trawler. This is now in negotiation. I hate to buy a 2nd boat when the first isn't sold yet but I will if the price is right.

Fortunately I live in one of the largest boating areas in the US. Lots to choose from. If I find a good deal in Fl. or NC for example, I will check it out also.

-- Edited by Tony B on Thursday 28th of July 2011 09:10:16 AM

-- Edited by Tony B on Thursday 28th of July 2011 09:11:19 AM
Old 07-28-2011, 06:24 PM   #38
Guru

As for my sailboat, I spoke to a man from Panama the other day. He will be flying up to Houston to check out my boat - again. I remember him from about 2 years ago when he walking the dock looking for my boat. he offferd to purchase it and at the time I was not interested. Anyway, he saw my boat come up for sale and is very interested. This happened 1 day before I listed my boat so if he makes the purchase, I will not have to pay a brokers fee on it. The broker wrote down his name on the contract exempting this guy and one other. I told both guys about that and the savings will be passed off to them 100% and I end up with the same amount of money. I figure that this may be a good incentive, after all, things can change between now and then.
I am not one of those lucky people, I usually get good buys but I work for it. If I stand around waiting for something to happen, it usually dont.
Like the old expression "the harder I work, the luckier I get"

Tags
features, requirement, selection, shopping