Old 02-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #21
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Good post Vinny. I find it kind of amusing how people want to comment on the boat's seaworthiness based on looking at pictures, conventional wisdom and second or third hand hearsay. All I can tell ya is I traveled near one for an entire day in conditions that were giving all kinds of other boats including "trawlers" and sail boats fits. The GH was doing just dandy.

OT: Why many of those sail boats weren't sailing and instead floundering around almost to the point of foundering still makes me shake my head but that seems to be SOP as witnessed many times on open water.. the guys sailing to one degree or another were having a pretty fun if somewhat sporty trip that particular day.

So true on a sail boat if you have just 25% of the head sail out it works like a "Storm Jib" or 'Mule". But then again most folks with roller furling, of which I would not do without, don't know about either of the two sails I mentioned.

I did say this before but Kens son and daughter have taken the GH37 and most of the other GH boats to and from the Islands several times for Ken by them selves. I believe they were in their young 20's if that the first time his son did it. I don't think Ken, no, Becky would have allowed that to happen if the boats were not really somewhat seaworthy. Even the seaworthy one fail. Does the name Edmund Fitzgerald mean anything to anyone.

Like I said Ken has some convection's but he has them for his own reasons. We don't have to agree with them. But I can tell you he and I were both in the engine room of Spoonbill standing up at the same time and there was room for you and a few others as well. There is a work bench with a vise, a large sea chest where all of the through hulls come and go and many other items that make sense. One is the Bilge pumps, Shower Sump pumps are all of the same type including the one to pump out the holding tank. They are all diaphragm Gushers, all the same size so one repair kit covers four or five pumps on the boat. Not five different non rebuildable ones as my boat has.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:52 AM   #22
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
[QUOTE=caltexflanc;137027]Your comment about it not having enough freeboard leads me to think you have a different boat in mind than the one that is being discussed here. QUOTE]

One of the biggest raps on the GH is they have really high free board that one needs to become accustomed to the look so to speak.

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #23
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Incentive
Vessel Model: Hatteras 56MY
Yeah, they took one to Hawaii once, as well as to Bermuda. Here is an interesting dissertation by the naval architect, worth reading for the hearthside helmsmen:

Great Harbor Trawlers' Trawler Truths: Why the A/B Ratio is largely meaningless.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: SeaHorse II
Vessel Model: 32' 2005 Halvorsen Gourmet Cruiser
Quote:
I find it kind of amusing how people want to comment on the boat's seaworthiness based on looking at pictures, conventional wisdom and second or third hand hearsay.
Your defense of GH boats is noted and, I'm sure, much appreciated. The perception, however, is that they look top heavy! Whether they are or not is not the issue. The issue is the "perception."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GH 47.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	16729  
Old 02-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #25
Guru

Read the architech's article. It's what's below the waterline that counts. Funny if some said this was a catamaran or trimaran, that "perception" might be different, let alone a conventional hulled, round bottom, stabilizers-required boat like this...

Welcome to Nordhavn.com - Power Thats Oceans Apart

That's not top heavy? Because they have to stick a few tons of lead 6 feet under to keep it upright?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 02-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #26

In the interest of full disclosure I need to correct a statement I made earlier. The vessel that sank in the Chesapeake in 2008 was in fact a Florida Bay steel trawler similar in appearance to the GH trawlers.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #27
Guru

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
You would not get me one for cruising up and down the coast.
I would have no problem cruising a Great Harbor on the pacific coast, or the open ocean portions of the Gulf of Alaska.

The trick that people don't seem to understand is you have to pick your weather days. You might choose more days to spend in port than say a Nordhavn or other rough water friendly boat, but that doesn't mean it cannot be done, and very comfortably at that.

Remember that coastal cruising isn't about being any weather capable. Its about short jaunts and enjoying your time in port
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #28

Is it me or is there no wheel at the helm. I see nice seating and electronics but no way to steer.

Dave
Old 02-25-2013, 03:34 PM   #29

You are talking about coastal cruising on "good" days not ocean crossing when time traveled almost guarantees that something smelly will hit the fan. IMO, even taking these vessels to the Bahamas assumes you cross in fair weather and are not anchored in a real blow or in a "rage" when wind can suddenly blow at 40+ kts with associated sea conditions.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Well the GH is sort of a House boat, sort of a boat, sort of a trawler, a good livaboard, a bit commercial looking ...... hard to even say what it is. But I don't think one needs to be an engineer or a NA to see or tell that the GH isn't a blue water boat.

There is a reason why boats look like boats. To be safe on or around waves or especially big waves boats need to assume shapes that are even more boat like than boats ......... Unless they are big .. Or real big. Size counts. How do the groceries get to Alaska? On barges. And they cross Queen Charlotte Strait and Dixon Entrance all winter long. Never seen one anchor because of bad weather but I do think I've heard of it happening. A Krogen 42 is a very small boat compared to a GH 47 but the Krogen is very much a blue water boat and the GH is not. But I don't see how 6' seas could give it any trouble just because of the GHs size.

In summary I would love to have one in the SW US and I'd feel quite comfortable on the Inside Passage to Alaska but I'd not care to run up and down the west coast from LA to Seattle. I like the boats, their engineering features and even kinda like the look but for blue water cruising or Passagemaking ....... No.

North Western Washington State USA
manyboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:59 PM   #31
Guru

City: n/a
Vessel Model: Grand Banks
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
Great harbour GH47. Very shallow draft, the company says it's a world traveler. What do you guys think of ocean crossings with this draft?
Ignoring for the moment that I think the Great Harbor boats are among the most butt-ugly boats on the planet, I do not think they are suited for long range, open ocean cruising.

I grew up in Hawaii and in the 70s I did a lot of fishing off the north shore of Oahu and in the Molokai Channel. There were days-- nice days weather-wise-- in the Molokai Channel where a boat like our current GB36 would not have stood a chance. The combination of huge swells with steep wind waves on top of them would have put the boat on its side in short order if one tried to do anything but head straight into them. And very often the steep wind waves blown up by the local wind are coming at you from a different angle than the swells.

While there is no question that a GH can cross open ocean waters-- one was taken to Hawaii but that was a stunt, not any sort of routine cruise-- the issue is that once out in the ocean you don't have the option of staying in port until the weather blows through. If you can't outrun or outmaneuver the weather, you have to be able to take it. And this is where the GH will let you down. Along with just about every so-called coastal cruiser.

As a live-aboard or house-type boat in coastal waters where the options of staying put or getting to shelter are never all that far away, the GH seems a fine choice if you can stomach its appearance.

But long, open ocean crossings tend to take away a number of options so the boat you're in had best be able to deal with worst-case scenarios even if you do everything you can to put the odds in your favor.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Welcome to Nordhavn.com - Power Thats Oceans Apart

That's not top heavy? Because they have to stick a few tons of lead 6 feet under to keep it upright?
I agree with you that the Nordy in the link looks top heavy. It may not be but it looks like it is to me!

Here are 2- 55' boats. The Nordy looks out of scale to me (Too tall) and the Fleminmg looks fabulous! (MHO)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nordy 55.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	16733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fleming 55.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	16734  
Old 02-25-2013, 07:11 PM   #33
Guru

So tell me why is the appearance of the GH bad and leads everyone to make assumptions, yet the Nordhavn is revered, despite its appearance which to the more than casual eye is not dissimilar?

Was the performance of the boat I saw in actual action some sort of anomaly based on all of you critics' first hand observations?? Oh that's right none of you have any first hand experience, but every picture tells a story eh? Perception is reality the saying goes.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
I agree with you that the Nordy in the link looks top heavy. It may not be but it looks like it is to me!

Here are 2- 55' boats. The Nordy looks out of scale to me (Too tall) and the Fleminmg looks fabulous! (MHO)
Yet the GH somehow must be top heavy? I guess the mods never sent me the packet of Nordhavn Kool-Aid when I signed up for the forum, or it somehow got lost in the mail.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #35

City: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Ignoring for the moment that I think the Great Harbor boats are among the most butt-ugly boats on the planet, I do not think they are suited for long range, open ocean cruising.

I grew up in Hawaii and in the 70s I did a lot of fishing off the north shore of Oahu and in the Molokai Channel. There were days-- nice days weather-wise-- in the Molokai Channel where a boat like our GB36 would not have stood a chance. The combination of huge swells with steep wind waves on top of them would have put the boat on its side in short order if one tried to do anything but head straight into them. And very often the steep wind waves blown up by the local wind are coming at you from a different angle than the swells.

While there is no question that a GH can cross open ocean waters-- one was taken to Hawaii but that was a stunt, not any sort of routine cruise-- the issue is that once out in the ocean you don't have the option of staying in port until the weather blows through. If you can't outrun or outmaneuver the weather, you have to be able to take it. And this is where the GH will let you down.

As a live-aboard or house-type boat in coastal waters where the options of staying put or getting to shelter are never all that far away, the GH seems a fine choice if you can stomach its appearance.

But long, open ocean crossings tend to take away a number of options so the boat you're in had best be able to deal with worst-case scenarios even if you do everything you can to put the odds in your favor.
Good answer.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #36
Guru

City: n/a
Vessel Model: Grand Banks
Quote:
So tell me why is the appearance of the GH bad and leads everyone to make assumptions, yet the Nordhavn is revered, despite its appearance which to the more than casual eye is not dissimilar?
Because the Nordhavn--- most models of which I think are every bit as butt-ugly as a Great Harbor-- was designed to be a "passagemaker" from the outset and has racked up an impressive record over a whole lot of years of being just that.

When on a long ocean passage the options run out and you have no choice but to deal with what the weather and water throw at you, the Nordhavn is designed as much as possible with a boat of this type to take it. Sure it might need stabilizers and weight in the keel but that's what's needed to cope with these situations when they arise.

The GH isn't designed-- or intended-- to deal with this. Neither is our GB or the guy down the dock's Island Gypsy or the guy on the other dock's CHB.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 PM   #37
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
One dosn't need to be an engineer or have first hand experience to know a bus is not going to handle and otherwise perform like a sports car or even a sedan.

North Western Washington State USA
manyboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
One dosn't need to be an engineer or have first hand experience to know a bus is not going to handle and otherwise perform like a sports car or even a sedan.
Wow! Excellent, Eric!
Old 02-25-2013, 09:40 PM   #39
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbus View Post
Is it me or is there no wheel at the helm. I see nice seating and electronics but no way to steer.

Dave
Jog lever just inboard the throttles.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #40
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
One only needs to take a look at my choice of boats here in my Avatar and know that I'd probably prefer the looks of a Great Harbor over lots of other styles. When my Admiral and I were searching for our first trawler style of boat, the Codega/Fickett and Benfield designs were on our wish list, but out of our reach in $. It should be noted that the N-37 (that's 37 ft.) GH is nearly twice as heavy as my Krogen 36, which is some indication of the amount of material put into the boat. Style being a matter of preference, I really like the commercial look of the whole GH line, and their systems accessibility is a dream come true, but since the original question was about the GH's world-cruising qualifications, I believe the GH fills a unique slot among cruising vessels that have more than enough to offer without the additional claims of any off-shore prowess.