What do you pay for hull cleaning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
$1.80/min here in New Bern. It ranges between $50 to $100 per dive based on grown level. We leave it to the diver to keep it clean and dive on his own schedule. Zincs are extra.

Side question. How many are seeing equipment like the Caviblaster used in your area?

https://www.caviblaster.com/

I watched the video and it seamed like it cleaned most but not all of the growth off. If the diver spent more time in the area, it looked to be clean down to the antifouling paint. My concern would be that small amount remaining would foul faster as the bottom paint would be ineffective under the remaining growth.

Ted

I watched the video and it seamed like it cleaned most but not all of the growth off. If the diver spent more time in the area, it looked to be clean down to the antifouling paint. My concern would be that small amount remaining would foul faster as the bottom paint would be ineffective under the remaining growth.

Ted

One dive company here uses one and promotes it heavily. Their competitors warn against it.

One dive company here uses one and promotes it heavily. Their competitors warn against it.

I'm betting the video wasn't done on ablative paint. If the bottom had ablative it might have cleaned up better. Just wonder whether the scrub brush or that pressure blaster removes more paint.

Ted

I'm betting the video wasn't done on ablative paint. If the bottom had ablative it might have cleaned up better. Just wonder whether the scrub brush or that pressure blaster removes more paint.

Ted

I wonder about so many on so many different bottoms. They scare me just like I'd never allow a diver to carry a scraper of any type. We spend a lot on bottom cleaning but not nearly as much as many do on bottom painting. Soft brush and frequent.

We don't use ablative.

How frequently does the diver clean your hull down south Walt?
In the winter it's about every 5 to 6 weeks. Summer...4 weeks. BTW...I use Dockside Divers & consider them to be among the very best! How do I know? They always give me a report card with each invoice and over the years when I haul out, my inspection of the bottom coincides exactly with their report. :thumb:

I wonder about so many on so many different bottoms. They scare me just like I'd never allow a diver to carry a scraper of any type. We spend a lot on bottom cleaning but not nearly as much as many do on bottom painting. Soft brush and frequent.

We don't use ablative.

If you need a scraper, you waited too long. Although I do need a putty knife to clean some of the running gear. I don't travel fast enough for propspeed to be effective. So there are always a few barnacles to knock off. Plastic putty knife works well.

Ted

If you need a scraper, you waited too long. Although I do need a putty knife to clean some of the running gear. I don't travel fast enough for propspeed to be effective. So there are always a few barnacles to knock off. Plastic putty knife works well.

Ted

I hear people talk about scraping their hull and it makes me very uncomfortable.

I hear people talk about scraping their hull and it makes me very uncomfortable.

If you know what you're doing, it's actually not bad. It's done in the boatyard with a garden edging tool sort of like a straight hoe. There're purposely dull and slid along the hull at the correct angle to nock off the barnacles without disturbing the bottom paint. Kind of like removing roof shingles without messing up the plywood underneath. If the user doesn't know what he's doing, you'll know how thick your barrier coat and bottom paint was. :eek:

Ted

If you know what you're doing, it's actually not bad. It's done in the boatyard with a garden edging tool sort of like a straight hoe. There're purposely dull and slid along the hull at the correct angle to nock off the barnacles without disturbing the bottom paint. Kind of like removing roof shingles without messing up the plywood underneath. If the user doesn't know what he's doing, you'll know how thick your barrier coat and bottom paint was. :eek:

Ted

So far, never been necessary for us and our bottom paint has lasted so very well.

So far, never been necessary for us and our bottom paint has lasted so very well.

Preventive maintenance almost always is easier and cheaper than repair.

Ted

Preventive maintenance almost always is easier and cheaper than repair.

Ted

I know people, even in our area, who just say they don't want to pay for diving and they'll haul, scrape and paint annually. Even if that saved money, I feel that it has to shorten the life of whatever (gel or paint) is under the bottom paint and it can greatly reduce performance.

Maybe this one is just us but we like a clean boat and that includes the bottom.

I know people, even in our area, who just say they don't want to pay for diving and they'll haul, scrape and paint annually. Even if that saved money, I feel that it has to shorten the life of whatever (gel or paint) is under the bottom paint and it can greatly reduce performance.

Maybe this one is just us but we like a clean boat and that includes the bottom.

While a modestly fouled boat bottom wouldn't have much impact on my fuel consumption, it makes a significant difference on planing hulls. Most charter sport fishing boats save far more on fuel than the cost of diver cleanings. This works under the premise that people actually use their boats. A 50' sport boat might cost $100 a month to clean or the equivalent of 40 gallons of diesel. Probably save that much fuel in 2 to 4 trips.

Ted

Do any of your bottom cleaners provide a video (like a gopro) of the job? I had some pilings wrapped recently by "professionals" and they wrapped the top 5 feet, but left the bottom 2 feet naked. I guess they didn't expect an owner to dive the pilings.

Do any of your bottom cleaners provide a video (like a gopro) of the job? I had some pilings wrapped recently by "professionals" and they wrapped the top 5 feet, but left the bottom 2 feet naked. I guess they didn't expect an owner to dive the pilings.

We always check behind them.

Cavitation blasters are an excellent tool for removing shelled animals and other 3-dimensional fouling growth. And they do not harm anti fouling coatings. Anybody who says they do has never used one or is trying to put customers off their competition.

That said, these devices clean much too slowly to be really useful in most day-to-day hull cleaning operations.

And for a completely different approach, here in Campbell River we have a drive in hull cleaning operation. It is not cheap - $5/and change per foot to over 40 feet.

It doesn't change anodes or clean running gear, thru-hulls, transducers etc. Plus, you have to drive the boat there to have the work done. And it's expensive to boot? How is that an improvement over having a human do the actual work? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It doesn't change anodes or clean running gear, thru-hulls, transducers etc. Plus, you have to drive the boat there to have the work done. And it's expensive to boot? How is that an improvement over having a human do the actual work? :rolleyes:

It's like a car wash that only does part of the car. There must be another act to complete the job. So, still require a diver. While the drive thru may have percentage wise done 90% of the bottom, it's probably only done half of the work.

I wish I thought it was a workable solution. If I did, I'd be trying to buy one tomorrow.

FSTBTTMS

I think many here have never actually seen their bottom being cleaned. I know there are some videos online. I think though it would be helpful if perhaps you described the work on a bad hull and a good one and where the time goes. What's easiest and what requires the most work on the job.

You say cavitation blasters do well but are too slow. Could you perhaps elaborate. It seems to me just thinking of them that on a well maintained, pretty clean boat they'd be slower than traditional, but on a mess of a hull as you described with heavy growth they might make more sense and be as quick.

View attachment 69191

Is this it Conrad? Grabbed this from a Facebook page by that name.
Yes, that's it. I've watched it clean a couple of hulls and it seems to do a good job. The operator has a go-pro on a pole which he uses to show the before and after images. There are vertical panels underwater that contain the grime and anti fouling that is washed off the hull. Not sure how they collect it post wash though.

Good points, although I believe that the running gear gets cleaned relatively well. But having a diver do the bottom, or having a yard do a half lift & clean will get you everything you mentioned for less.

This is a new operation in Campbell River; it started sometime early in the year so we'll see if it catches on. They've already slashed their prices significantly and I would expect they will have to cut them more.

It's not something I would entertain unless the price was much less.

i just recieved a quote have my bottom cleaned and it was $10 a foot here in BC. I guess the old say goes for BC is bring cash. It is cheaper for a quick haul and power wash.

Here in NC a good diver is about 1/4 of that. But that's for monthly cleanings, including the running gear and the occasional zinc replacement. If the bottom hasn't been tended to and is in bad shape, the first one is going to be a lot more.

SWFL, 2.25/ft, incl running gear, material extra for zincs, annual contract, average every 6 weeks or so. Just had the boat pulled for paint, bottom looked good, diver didn’t know it was coming out.

You guys are paying a BUNCH!

My guy is $60 a shot for a 40 ft boat, including running gear and occasionally zinc changes. If he changes a bunch or pulls a prop it's a bit more.

I bottom clean every two weeks in St. Pete area.

my bottom isnt that bad either. no growth just slimy and black

70 here in Sarasota

Here in NC a good diver is about 1/4 of that. But that's for monthly cleanings, including the running gear and the occasional zinc replacement. If the bottom hasn't been tended to and is in bad shape, the first one is going to be a lot more.

i finally got someone to clean the bottom it was 265 for the first one including the zinc (6 months growth) the next one should be 80$ . i was delightfully surprised when they reported my paint is still good .( i thought i had to paint this fall ).

Back
Top Bottom