Old 09-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #41
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I make "to do" lists for paid professionals to perform. I'll do easy, non-frustrating, non-technical tasks such as topping off the steering fluid or changing Racor filters.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #42

City: New England to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
Pay to haul. Pay for prop work, but i try not to need it. Pay to have the aftercooler serviced once a year and pay to have the valves adjusted every 2 years. Otherwise i generally do it all on the electrical system, engine, generator, two outboards, two ac units and 6 batteries.

tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 03:51 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeckrotte View Post
Well, we'll see what is possible next spring when my new shoulder is 5 months old (going for the chop on 20 October).
Welcome to the club. Two days ago I was five months into my new Total Shoulder. The first few months are pretty rough. The best advice I can give you is to take the physical therapy very, very seriously and do it all. It's not pleasant. Don't give up. It will get better, you will regain motion/strength/utility, but it takes time, patience, and grit. I was told it will take a full year to get back whatever strength/mobility/utility I will ever get, and I believe that's good guidance. I've come a long way, but I hope I'll get a lot better in the next 7 months. I'm determined. Best wishes for a successful outcome!!!
Bruce B Wifey D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeckrotte View Post
Well, we'll see what is possible next spring when my new shoulder is 5 months old (going for the chop on 20 October).
Mine is now four months old and I cannot believe the difference. Able to work with my right hand (I am right hand dominant) now whereas before it was actually painful to reach for something.

Good luck and do your exercises.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:07 PM   #45

As I get older, this list seems to grow, qoute ( Anything where the after-action effect will be that I can't walk, can't sit or stand up straight, can't bend my arms, can't move my fingers, etc.), while this list seems to shrink, quote ( If I know how to do X, have the tools, and it won't hurt me, I'll probably do it.)
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:27 PM   #46
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Holy Crap! Am I the only one who doesn't compound and wax?
I've compounded and waxed my boat every spring since I bought it, but I might paint it next spring.

So far I have done everything on my boat including a lot of rewiring, new electronics, swapped a transmission, replaced cutlass bearings, heat exchangers, bottom painting, winterizing etc. I think about the only thing I probably wouldn't do is inside the engine work and of course injector pump work. I also wouldn't do major glass work but hopefully will never have to worry about that.

I couldn't really afford the boat if I had to pay for everything but then I actually prefer doing the work myself.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #47
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Other than hauling and blocking, the only thing I've paid for is engine alignment after installing new motor mounts. That is voodoo science near as I can tell.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #48
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinped View Post
As I get older, this list seems to grow, qoute ( Anything where the after-action effect will be that I can't walk, can't sit or stand up straight, can't bend my arms, can't move my fingers, etc.), while this list seems to shrink, quote ( If I know how to do X, have the tools, and it won't hurt me, I'll probably do it.)
I hear that. My scenario's getting to be: work on the boat Saturday and Sunday; see the doctor Monday or Tuesday. This time it was my lower back, after picking up a god-awful heavy battery the wrong way and hauling it down a long stairway from our sun deck to ground level. Getting old sucks!
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #49
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Oh, and just because I don't do it, doesn't mean I don't know anything about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post

I'm trying to visualize a man saying that last sentence in front of the mother of his children, when asked about child birth.

Ted
Wifey B: Or anyone imagining kidney stones. Or torn ACL's or worse. I don't think we can imagine any pain we haven't experienced. But some of the boat things I've done just enough to know and that's it.

I've never changed a flat tire either. I figure I could do it, clear instructions, but don't figure I'd ever have to do it myself.

No child birth for me so I don't know how it feels either.

We're both so lucky that we've never experienced real physical pain. Only surgery either of us has had was wisdom teeth.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #50
Veteran Member

City: FT.Pierce, Fl
Vessel Name: Tuna Talk
Vessel Model: CC Tournament 30
I took a sportfishing boat which I purchased as salvage from the 2005 hurricane season in Florida and stripped it down to a bare, damaged fiberglass hull. I mean EVERYTHING was removed and replaced brand new. I did the complete refit, renovation with many new customizations by myself. So, needless to say, I don't pay to have anything done other than a haul-out! I'm sure as my body begins to lag behind my mind's good intentions, I will eventually succumb to paying for services only to go behind them and do the right way!
Jim Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #51
Guru

I find it interesting how many of you enjoy working on your boats. I know many are retired with limited budgets but I know others are working and in professions where they could go work two hours and pay for eight hours of labor on their boat. I know people with the same love of it. We know a couple with a Viking that is in perfect condition and they just look for things to do to it. It's like people with Classic cars and you get concerned some are going to wax their car to death.

That might be an adjunct question and that is "If money was a complete non-issue (which it never is), what work would you still do on your boat as opposed to paying for it?"
Old 09-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #52

City: Dauphin Island, AL
Vessel Name: Free At Last
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Grand Banks Trawler
What Do You Pay For Or Do Yourself

I'm still working 5 to 6 days a week in our own business ( real estate and vacation rentals on Dauphin Island AL.) at least during the spring and summer months. I'm also 71 and not as flexible. About all I do are the routine fluid checks, checking and cleaning strainers, filling water tanks, changing Racor filters and general cleaning of boat. I do have a good all-around mechanic who helps me with most of the mechanical and electrical repairs and maintenance. Money matters but so does my limited cruising time. I could certainly do more but choose to use others I trust when available. Heck, maybe I'm just lazier these days and would rather be cruising or at anchor rather than sweating it out in the engine room. For large projects I turn to one of the local boat yards such as Saunders in Gulf Shores. The are currently removing my very tired teak deck and will be installing a new alwgrip non skid surface. I'll put up some photos fairly soon on this/their project.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:08 PM   #53
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbylinn View Post
Heck, maybe I'm just lazier these days and would rather be cruising or at anchor rather than sweating it out in the engine room.
Laziness is the father of invention.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #54

City: Chicago
Vessel Name: Sea Jay
Vessel Model: Non Trawler ;-) Ask me if it matters LOL
What Do You Pay For Or Do Yourself

I've had my boat ONE WEEK. This far I've stripped a screw removing a defunct smoke detector, got stuck in the engine room twice and couldn't turn around and gashed my head open coming up a hatch.

I'm sorely thinking of having a yard do everything......

But, having a blast!
Gmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #55

Or to rephrase -Qoute (That might be an adjunct question and that is "If money was a complete non-issue (which it never is), what work would you still do on your boat as opposed to paying for it?" ), " If your body was still like a twenty year,but with the knowledge you have now"- answer,all of it
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #56

City: Dauphin Island, AL
Vessel Name: Free At Last
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Grand Banks Trawler
Bandb, I do spend that lazy idle time thinking about all those things I could be doing... Then about who I can get to do it. That's inventive, right?
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:46 PM   #57
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
That might be an adjunct question and that is "If money was a complete non-issue (which it never is), what work would you still do on your boat as opposed to paying for it?"
When my boat breaks, I need to be able to fix it. There are a lot of places where getting repairs done or a tow isn't going to be simple. I may not be able to rebuild the helm pump, but I know everything about my steering which will allow me to isolate the pump, bleed the system, and go home on the autopilot. I may not want to work on the Vacuflush in the Bahamas, but my guests probably won't want to use a bucket if the head breaks. Doing much of the mechanical, electrical, and electronic work gives me the knowledge and experience to do the repairs and have the spare parts on board. I'm very big on preventative maintenance, but things can still fail. I'd rather have my morning ruined fixing the head, than my whole week with a broken head.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
When my boat breaks, I need to be able to fix it. There are a lot of places where getting repairs done or a tow isn't going to be simple. I may not be able to rebuild the helm pump, but I know everything about my steering which will allow me to isolate the pump, bleed the system, and go home on the autopilot. I may not want to work on the Vacuflush in the Bahamas, but my guests probably won't want to use a bucket if the head breaks. Doing much of the mechanical, electrical, and electronic work gives me the knowledge and experience to do the repairs and have the spare parts on board. I'm very big on preventative maintenance, but things can still fail. I'd rather have my morning ruined fixing the head, than my whole week with a broken head.

Ted
We could do many of the critical things if forced to and if it was beyond our knowledge we'd have someone quickly on a cam to tell us what to do. However, we have gotten training in the primary things that can shut you down. The head, we understand and have the manuals but not something we've practiced doing.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:29 PM   #59
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I mean I don't pay someone to do it and I don't do it myself! It ain't done on FlyWright. It's the way we roll.
Much in agreement here - that is if I read you correctly?!?! Which I think I do!!

Couple years ago Pineapple Girl and I agreed similarly on some thread... basically said... use it or lose it! In other words - She's still fine, even if no shine!!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #60
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinped View Post
Or to rephrase -Qoute (That might be an adjunct question and that is "If money was a complete non-issue (which it never is), what work would you still do on your boat as opposed to paying for it?" ), " If your body was still like a twenty year,but with the knowledge you have now"- answer,all of it
I considered my financial capability, technical knowledge, aging body, and interests when budgeting the boat's repair and maintenance needs. My hobbies do not include fixing things.