What do you look for in a yacht club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: What do you look for in a yacht club?

Twisted Tree said this was the needed question. He better come answer it now. :D

Number your lists from 1 on down with 1 being most important (Oh now we see how many can follow directions. :popcorn:
I guess no good deed goes unpunished -:)

I think for me, it's about a community of like minded boaters. And cruisers to be more exact. I'm not interested in fishing, fishing, fishing. And I'm not interested in hoity toity yachties. Just people who use their boats, go places in them, stay for a few days or more. Really, TF is my virtual yacht club, so if everyone were in the same place....

I don't care what mix of power and sail boats are involved, and I don't care what size boats. It's not the boat, but what you do with it.

Either having a water front facility, or being co-located with one is important, and group activities would be a nice bonus. Reciprocity would be nice too.

1. Members who are like me. Not snooty, no white slacks and blue blazers, people I'd like to swap lies with over a cold one.
2. Moorage that's in good condition. Plenty of slips, boat houses for those who want them, all in protected waters.
3. A nice facility for events, but not with a full time kitchen and staff or a full time bar.
4. Reasonable initiation fees and dues
5. Lack of politics, back stabbing, cliques, etc. (Maybe this should have been #1)

That's what we call a "boat club." A yacht club is something totally different.

Uttering the phrase "yacht club" is the best way to get an angry mob to run you out of the boat club I belong to. Ours is exactly as you describe. I've run into a couple of others like that, but they're very few and far between.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

I was able to force my way into a yacht club that I’m sure wouldn’t want me. My Dad was a founding member back in the fifties. When he died I inherited the membership. It has a great dining room and bar. It’s got a great marina but the waiting list for a slip is years long. You also have to remove your boat if there are hurricane warnings.

5 geration background and lineage check
$75,000 initiation fee
$10,000 annual dues
$2500 food and beverage minimum
Not

I prefer my reasonably priced marina and joined the Coast Guard Auxiliary. Great community, club house, cheap dues a couple of complimentary moorings at key coves along with various get together. They do ask for some volunteer activities but we do most of that in the winter by teaching safe boating classes.

1. Outstations

That is all.

That is why we quit the Seattle Yacht Club when my dues went up when I turned 35, even though we just bought a boat. We never went to the clubhouse and didn't attend events. The outstations were great and we would love to go to them, but we would go to about 5 a year, which was about $840/night.

After starting as a Jr. Member in the sailing school and 22 years as a member I turned in my resignation a few years ago and mostly haven't regretted it.

We wish we had more boating friends, but we weren't meeting many people there anyways because we're so busy raising our 4 and 7 year old girls.

Just think what you could have spent at the Seattle Boat Show this week with all that dues money!!

1. Members who are like me. Not snooty, no white slacks and blue blazers, people I'd like to swap lies with over a cold one.

You snooty????? No way, but it would be funny to see you in white slacks and a blue coat. Crusty and I already know the cold beer part!!!:eek::angel:

We belong to the Royal Hamilton Yacht Club. When we joined in our very early 20’s, we had a Shark (small 24’) sailboat, a tiny car, and little else. RHYC became our social center. Over 50 years later, we are still members. We have been cruising, racing, involved, kids sailed, kids married, parents birthdays, Christmas, Easter, Mother’s Day celebrations, friendships that have lasted 50 years. Yacht clubs are a fraternity, marinas a facility.
Amenities - many changes over the years: dining (road house not 5 star), pool, floating slips (follow high water stories on the Great Lakes), winter storage, safe place for kids.
What is not to like!

From Post # 32 "I think for me, it's about a community of like minded boaters. And cruisers to be more exact. I'm not interested in fishing, fishing, fishing. And I'm not interested in hoity toity yachties. Just people who use their boats, go places in them, stay for a few days or more."

The above describes the VA Yacht Club, of which I am a member. The club was founded in 1948 and the bylaws state that there will be no facility. This does limit reciprocity. We do have a "formal" Opening (May) and Closing (October) held at a mid-Bay marina, followed by 2-3 day cruises each month going up and down the Chesapeake with a week long event in July or August. Throw in a December Christmas party somewhere and a mid-winter "asphalt" cruise, usually to a warmer clim. 20-25 boats regularly participate in the cruises. Over the winter 8-12 boats head south, returning in April. There is an elected Bridge that runs the organization and yes they do fly "rank" flags, this year mine shows a martini glass (wanna guess my job?). Yearly dues of less than $150, cruise expenses paid by participating captains. Great bunch of people who want to cruise their boats and enjoy the experience.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom