What do you look for in a yacht club

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
Wifey B: What do you look for in a yacht club?

Twisted Tree said this was the needed question. He better come answer it now. :D

Number your lists from 1 on down with 1 being most important (Oh now we see how many can follow directions. :popcorn:

Cruising trip with fellow members who have boats that can do multiple days.

Nothing else.

1. Club focus (clubby, events, cruising, power, sail, etc)
2. Club “personality” - will we “fit”
3. Dues
4. Reciprocals
5. Out stations

In the late 1990s we belonged to Yarrow Bay Yacht Club here in the Seattle area. No clubhouse or marina, virtually no reciprocals, fat cash balance, monthly cruises most of the year, party hardy (but safe boat operators). We currently do not belong to a club.

Last edited:
A laid back club. Casual clothing at most events.

A club with it's own marina that offer below market moorage rates.

Boathouses available for purchase.

Active, knowledgeable, friendly members.

A clubhouse.

Monthly cruises.

Reciprocals

Social activities. Including Christmas and New Years Eve functions.

Workshop

Dry grid or some form of haul out facilities.

Summer group cruise.

Group discount at marine supply store.

No restaurant or bar requiring monthly assessments to fund them..

We belong to one club (30 years) for friends, social events and cruising..

We belong to another club for moorage, boathouse, grid and shop.

Last edited:
1. A club with it's own marina that offer below market moorage rates.

2. Boathouses available for purchase.

4. Active, knowledgeable, friendly members.

5. A clubhouse.

6. Monthly cruises.

7. Reciprocals

8. Social activities. Including Christmas and New Years Eve functions.

9. Workshop

10. Dry grid or some form of haul out facilities.

11. Summer group cruise.

12. Group discount at marine supply store.

You might want to consider joining a country club! :)

You might want to consider joining a country club! :)

Don't golf.

And I got everything on my list by joining two clubs.

I edited my previous post to describe that.

1. Big, officious hats with lots of oak leaf clusters.
2. A lot of goofy flags with pictures of drinks and outlines of bodies on them.
3. A rigid chain of command with lots of officers and a big-shot commodore.
4. A huge rule book which covers every possible offence including the color of the door mat on the dock where visitors must leave their shoes before boarding.
5. A closed nominating process to keep out any undesirables.
6. A tiki bar serving overpriced drinks with umbrellas in them.
7. Staff in matching uniforms with the club burgee embroidered on.
8. Golf carts with chauffeurs to bring you from your car to the boat.
9. Huge fees collected from any contractors doing work on your boat.
10. At least one "wake Nazi" who screams at everyone going by on VHF 16.

4. A huge rule book which covers every possible offence including the color of the door mat on the dock where visitors must leave their shoes before boarding.

Stop that you waker!

Last edited:
Wifey B:

1. Nice tennis courts.
2. Nice docks
3. Reciprocal agreements
4. Somewhere we can be proud to be a member. Even though we have no kids we want a club with kids activities like sailing. We want a club that is friendly and open to others including transients. We don't want to deal with in-fighting or politics.
5. A club where we can get by with very limited participation. We don't attend meetings and don't participate in holiday gatherings and such. We're not in town most of the time but, even if we were, wouldn't. We like to quietly go our way. We are not looking to be active in club events and activities.
6. Ability to bring guests with us.
7. Manageable obligations. We don't mind dining minimums as long as they're spread over reasonable periods and can be accomplished different ways.

:dance::dance::dance:

Wifey B:

1. Nice tennis courts.
2. Nice docks
3. Reciprocal agreements
4. Somewhere we can be proud to be a member. Even though we have no kids we want a club with kids activities like sailing. We want a club that is friendly and open to others including transients. We don't want to deal with in-fighting or politics.
5. A club where we can get by with very limited participation. We don't attend meetings and don't participate in holiday gatherings and such. We're not in town most of the time but, even if we were, wouldn't. We like to quietly go our way. We are not looking to be active in club events and activities.
6. Ability to bring guests with us.
7. Manageable obligations. We don't mind dining minimums as long as they're spread over reasonable periods and can be accomplished different ways.

:dance::dance::dance:

You mean to say "I" rather that "we," right?

Interesting. My wife always speaks for herself.

Wifey B: You mean she'd say, "I have a lovely house" rather than "We have?" We would select a yacht club together so our views would be shared. Now, when I speak of my height or my dress or things like that it is "I."

Interesting topic as there is no "I" in "Team" and good team players use "we" and credit others. If I was expressing a view he didn't share, I'd definitely use "I". Oh, and "We" belong to the yacht club together. Bo'fus. :rofl:

Wifey B: You mean she'd say, "I have a lovely house" rather than "We have?" We would select a yacht club together so our views would be shared. Now, when I speak of my height or my dress or things like that it is "I."

Interesting topic as there is no "I" in "Team" and good team players use "we" and credit others. If I was expressing a view he didn't share, I'd definitely use "I". Oh, and "We" belong to the yacht club together. Bo'fus. :rofl:

Not that complicated.

She has her own voice on the platforms she chooses to be on. Whether discussing yacht clubs or dresses she chose to wear.

I have mine.

Simple really.

Children. It's getting late. Bedtime...

200.webp

I like yacht clubs being hundreds of miles away, which pretty much ensures we live in a sparsely populated area and have most anchorages all to ourselves :thumb:

Lets see:

A club with it's own marina that offer below market moorage rates.

Boathouses available for purchase.

Active, knowledgeable, friendly members.

Monthly cruises.

A laid back club. Casual clothing at most events.

A clubhouse.

Reciprocals

Dry grid or some form of haul out facilities.

Group discount at marine supply store.

No restaurant or bar requiring monthly assessments to fund them..

My interactions with yacht clubs:

My father raced and joined in the 1960s the Metropolitan Yacht Club and later Richmond Yacht Club (club membership was required to race), but I have no memory of any social interaction. Have a couple of trophies recognizing winnings.

The builder of my current boat is a member and former officer with the Richmond Yacht Club, and after hoisting my boat's mast at the Richmond Yacht Club's hoist upon its delivery in the Bay Area, hosted us to a dinner at their clubhouse. Nice.

A couple of years ago the Benicia Yacht Club hosted us and others to participate in a trivia session.

Have no strong interest in joining a club because I'm not a joiner since don't have a high need for more social interaction.

Last edited:
Where is XS Bank when we need him.

It's an interesting thread, not for me though. I keep my boat at a common, privately owned marina. I have stayed at several. Some for a season or two, some for far longer. I think I'll start a thread just like this one but about Marinas not yacht clubs.

pete

Nice protected docks.
No requirement to participate other than financially.
Security for the marina.

While it may sound like I'd be happier in a marina, I really want to be able to pick and choose what functions I participate in. Not interested in community work detail to reduce cost.

Ted

Where is XS Bank when we need him.
I agree, Tom! I don't understand the reason for shutting down the replies. He had some great points but his avatar was not one of them. :hide:

1. Outstations

That is all.

That is why we quit the Seattle Yacht Club when my dues went up when I turned 35, even though we just bought a boat. We never went to the clubhouse and didn't attend events. The outstations were great and we would love to go to them, but we would go to about 5 a year, which was about $840/night.

After starting as a Jr. Member in the sailing school and 22 years as a member I turned in my resignation a few years ago and mostly haven't regretted it.

We wish we had more boating friends, but we weren't meeting many people there anyways because we're so busy raising our 4 and 7 year old girls.

Perfect. Where do I sign up? Sounds like the club I mistakingly joined a number of years ago

1. Great facilities -- enough slips so that the wait list time is manageable, good docks, bar, restaurant, swimming pool,

2. Equity Ownership structure -- as opposed to the club being someone's business. One of our most prominent local clubs is not owned by its members, which has three adverse consequences: i) management of the club is constrained by ownership's authority, ii) members don't have the same pride of ownership that actual ownership brings, with one of the consequences being more turnover of membership / fewer long-term members, and iii) in an equity club, a member can effectively "own" his slip, as I do mine -- like all members, I pay rent to the club for my slip (but that is like paying myself, since I am a club owner), but I can take my boat for an extended cruise or stay elsewhere, not pay any rent while I am gone, but have my exact same slip whenever I want to return.

3. Compatible membership --

4. Great junior sailing program. Although I didn't join our club with any thought of my kid's participation in junior sailing (at the time, they were 2, 4 and 6 years old), the did all start sailing at age 8 and it really help build their character in many dimensions -- self reliance, team work, competitiveness, etc. All three went on to win national junior sailing titles, and then to be college team sailors (two of them varsity sailors at division 1 schools).

1. Members who are like me. Not snooty, no white slacks and blue blazers, people I'd like to swap lies with over a cold one.
2. Moorage that's in good condition. Plenty of slips, boat houses for those who want them, all in protected waters.
3. A nice facility for events, but not with a full time kitchen and staff or a full time bar.
4. Reasonable initiation fees and dues
5. Lack of politics, back stabbing, cliques, etc. (Maybe this should have been #1)

Back
Top Bottom