Old 02-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #41
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
RE: What do you look for in a boat shoe/sandal

The WORST, by far, sandals I've ever owned were Berkenstocks. The so-called moulding to my foot feature seemed to do exactly the opposite, and after wearing them for a number of weeks I was almost crippled. They were also the most expensive sandals I've ever purchased.

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:09 AM   #42
FF
Guru

What do you look for in a boat shoe/sandal

For active boaters "Boat Shoes" are just that , worn on board , never ashore as debris in the soft bottom will carry aboard and mar many surfaces.

They also wear out rapidly on shore surfaces due to the soft sticky bottom.

Real boat shoes for active boaters, traction and the lacing system is critical.

Good traction is useless if the shoes come off!!

Sandals might not really be suitable for moving boats , however that will hardly diminish your market.

The vast majority of boats , esp larger than 25ft boats are simple dockside cottages.

Seldom moved the real market is for shoes with modest traction for WET painted wood docks , good long term wear on concrete and hard enough not to pick pebbles or sand.

They should bottom clean with a simple foot movement on a mat.

-- Edited by FF on Friday 10th of February 2012 05:10:17 AM

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:41 AM   #43
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40

Quote:
Dougcole wrote:
Those slits in the soles are called siping. The "invisible" ones (that appear when you flex the outsole) are called razor cut siping. They are more effective in my opinion than the open sipes. They were invented by the man who started sperry. The story is that he noticed his dog slipped less on the deck than he did, so he felt the pads of his dogs paws. They are rough in one direction, smooth in the other. I don't know if this is true or not, my lab slips around on the deck a lot, but it is an interesting story.

Some tire companies actually will sipe your tires for a little extra $. I've never tried it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it works. I would think it would reduce the lifespan of the tire, though. Tires are under a lot more stress than a shoe sole.
That may be your opinion but after a lifetime on boats..I stopped buying Sperry shoes back in the early 80s because I thought the slit sole were the most dangerous thing I ever wore on a boat.

I think the slits were a marketing tool to convince boaters that the slit's wouldn't pick stuff up and mar your decks...evey pair was the worst traction I ever had.

Pay a tire company to do something I have NEVER heard them market as a great safety feature?* I don't think THEY even think that.

-- Edited by psneeld on Friday 10th of February 2012 05:42:17 AM
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:35 AM   #44
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T

Quote:
psneeld wrote:Dougcole wrote:
Those slits in the soles are called siping. The "invisible" ones (that appear when you flex the outsole) are called razor cut siping. They are more effective in my opinion than the open sipes. They were invented by the man who started sperry. The story is that he noticed his dog slipped less on the deck than he did, so he felt the pads of his dogs paws. They are rough in one direction, smooth in the other. I don't know if this is true or not, my lab slips around on the deck a lot, but it is an interesting story.

Some tire companies actually will sipe your tires for a little extra $. I've never tried it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it works. I would think it would reduce the lifespan of the tire, though. Tires are under a lot more stress than a shoe sole.
That may be your opinion but after a lifetime on boats..I stopped buying Sperry shoes back in the early 80s because I thought the slit sole were the most dangerous thing I ever wore on a boat.

I think the slits were a marketing tool to convince boaters that the slit's wouldn't pick stuff up and mar your decks...evey pair was the worst traction I ever had.

Pay a tire company to do something I have NEVER heard them market as a great safety feature?* I don't think THEY even think that.

-- Edited by psneeld on Friday 10th of February 2012 05:42:17 AM

*I probably didn't state myself too well...there are two kinds of siping, open (wavy grooves in the sole) and razor cut (the invisible ones that open when you flex the sole) what I was saying is that I think razor cut works better than open siping.* I wasn't passing an opinion at all on wether siping works, just comparing one type to another.

I saw the siping add on at Discount Tires a few years back, I didn't try it, and I don't know if they still do it.* I only noticed it because of my career history in water based footwear.* I was pointing out that some tire companies do, or did it.* Again, no intended endorsment for or against it.

Many years back I worked for Rockport when they developed what was the first "technical" boat shoe.* It was called the Hydrosport.* It had a mostly smooth (no sipes at all) outsole that relied on the stickiness of the rubber compound for traction.* It gripped really well, but it didn't sell very well.* Ahead of its time, most likely.

-- Edited by Dougcole on Friday 10th of February 2012 06:37:17 AM
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #45
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

My main gripe with most models by Sperry and a few others is that the stitching on the top of the shoe feels like a hacksaw blade on the inside. If I remember right it wasn't like that years ago. For me they are ok with socks but not barfefoot.
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:28 AM   #46
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28

Doug, when are you going to tell us who you work for?
HopCar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:49 AM   #47
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Steve wrote:
My main gripe with most models......
* * * * My main gripe is those damn rawhide laces always coming undone!

****** I've finally started wetting them thoroughly with water, tying a very tight granny knot in them & cutting off the ends!!!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 10th of February 2012 01:05:47 PM
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 AM   #48
Guru

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
* * * * My main gripe is those damn rawhide laces always coming undone!

****** I've finall started wetting them thoroughly with water, tying a granny knot in them & cutting off the ends!!!

*Yes my gripe too, I usually superglue the knot but your solution is cheaper.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #49
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
* cutting off the ends!!!

*What the heck are those ends, The little tape things called?

SD*
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #50
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T

Quote:
HopCar wrote:
Doug, when are you going to tell us who you work for?
*I'm an independent rep.* I actually work for two footwear companies, Keen and Vibram Five Fingers.

Keen is considering expanding their boat shoe presence.

I used to sell to Hopkins Carter, actually.* I was the Sportif rep for Florida for many years.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #51

Living in Charleston SC (where Boeing is very welcome) we like to keep our feet cool. So the perfect shoe would be easy on, like an old pair of classic TopSiders, non skid, some support, ability to dry quickly, non-marking, good looking. I agree boat shoes should only be worn on the boat, but in an imperfect world they sometimes go ashore.
I have a pair of Mephesto loafers that are wonderful, but the sole broke down and they need to be resoled. I didn't get more than 20,000 miles out of them.

George

METAFORA
Sabre 36
Charleston, SC
Metafora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #52
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28

Doug, I had to look up Keen Shoes to see what they are all about. Looks like a nice broad line of technical and work shoes.
Only three mens styles for sailing and one womans. I really liked the looks of the Turia shoe. If they expand the boating shoe line I'd like to take a look at it. I would love it if they made some really wide shoes. Right now it looks like Dunham is the only company that makes really wide boat shoes.

Vibram Five Fingers! Those are the shoes that God told Al Bundy to make! Sorry, you probably hate hearing that.
HopCar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #53
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

I've been wearing a pair of Keen sandals almost non-stop for about three years and love them. Don't know the style other than open toed; nothing fancy to look at I suppose but well built and very comfortable. Even wear them occasionally on the boat. They still look brand new.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #54
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:

SD*

*Aglets.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #55
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

I like different boat footwear for different uses and seasons.*

Winter boat shoe:* Leather uppers, non-marking soles, warm and good traction.*

Summer boat shoe: ventilated synthetic uppers for cooling, non-marking soles, good traction, lightweight for comfort.

Summer dinghy/water use:* Teva style sandal (I like Columbia brand) with open toes, comfortable leather straps, able to get wet and stay on feet comfortably without slipping, good traction on non-marking soles.*

I don't care so much the color of the sole, but if they're dark, they should be clearly labelled "non-marking sole."

In all cases, comfort is my highest priority, followed by durability, price and appearance.*

You wouldn't catch me dead wearing sandals with socks!!*
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #56
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:skipperdude wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:

SD*

*Aglets.

*Floogle Binders.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:39 AM   #57
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

I've used these for years and love them. http://zeppro.com/home.html

They have non-skid on the sole and upper surface. My original pair of sperry flip-flops would stick to the deck very nicely, but my foot would slip out all the time. These are very durable.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #58
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'

In the summer, good weather, I wear a pair of Keens sandals with a closed toe and heel strap.

The rest of the time I wear a pair of SPerry Topsiders. These are all the time shoes including washing the boat and on land. The first pair i bought was a test. I'm particularily carefull about the grip on wet docks and am on my second pair now in 2 1/2 years. One does still need to be carefull as the docks, when wet, can be greasy from algae in the rainy season but these shoes work well.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #59
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Interesting thread. I have a nice pair of slip on boat shoes with what I'd call a "sling" back.* I think they may be*North*Face. *They are on the boat and I pretty much never wear them.* I wear sneakers*most of the time so when I get to the boat I just leave them on.* Even with black soles I have never had my sneaks mark up the boat.* Come summer I like to kick off my shoes and go barefoot.* I have some sperry top siders I wear to work as a change from sneaks.* Didn't buy them for the boat.* I have some crocs but I keep them at home as slip ons to wear outside around the house, hardly ever take them to the boat.* I find them slippery.* I'd have to agree with Bess, if you can make boat shoes as comfortable as sneakers I'll wear them. Until then, not so much...
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #60
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

My boating shoe of choice has always been whatever I am wearing that day. Fortunately, none of them has left marks on deck. My current selection is either Merrell hiking boots with Vibram rubber soles, or Teva sandals (no socks).*

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote