What do You do when not boating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I'm not boating, I'm working....so I can build up the tax base to pay for all my retired friends on this forum...

When I'm not boating, I'm working....so I can build up the tax base to pay for all my retired friends on this forum...

Thank you, but during my working life I have already paid in all the money needed to fund my retirement.

This is Aiguille du Midi, in Massif du Mont Blanc, Chamonix but I do not mind you Mr RTF, knowing your main activity you are excused not to have reconized it! :D

Well done, however as a former Frenchman I would have been disappointed if you had not recognized such a magnificent mountain.

giphy.gif

That was a funny TV series "Trailer Park Boys" Mr. Layhee

Well done, however as a former Frenchman I would have been disappointed if you had not recognized such a magnificent mountain.

You know what, Imam pretty sure a lot of French never saw it!
I agree it is magnificent, did you see the glass balcony they made there? When I was there it was not existing yet but now there is a glass made platform on which you can stay above the abyss, it is really stuning and scary!

As Bruce knows the "Streamin'" life ain't bad. I also concur that it is much less expensive than boating.

Still working a little when not on the boat or RV.

Attachments

• P1000079.jpg
    P1000079.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
She passed on August 10th 2015,4 days before our 50th anniversary. Used to do a lot of darkroom photo work. Good thought to go back into that mode.

She passed on August 10th 2015,4 days before our 50th anniversary. Used to do a lot of darkroom photo work. Good thought to go back into that mode.

Very insular though. And in the world of digital is there not a better option?

However if you do, please share your work.

I will be sure to look for the works of light!

G'luck!

Perhaps I like working too much, 69 now and still working. I can pull the trigger anytime and still collect a six figure salary for three years after I stop. this is before touching my pension. I just like what I do.

Perhaps I like working too much, 69 now and still working. I can pull the trigger anytime and still collect a six figure salary for three years after I stop. this is before touching my pension. I just like what I do.

You are obviously one of those people who want their tombstone to read: "I wish I had spent more time at work!"

No Menzies, I am happy, is that not what life should be.

We live in Michigan, so no actual boating in the winter. During the winter I work on the boat while it is in the barn. This winter, new flybridge hardtop, full flybridge enclosure, lots of fiberglass work, removing 4 leaking windows, rebed and reinforce bow rail stanchion attachment, painted top of sundeck hardtop, rebuilt fiberglass swim platform and painted it, paint exterior of flybridge,cabin sides, bow and side decks. I am forgetting some of the things that have been completed already. Other than that, not doing much.

The question of what I do when not boating depends on time of year and the daily weather. Right now I am on TF. In the rainy season I spend time at a gym so my 78 year old body stays in good enough shape to sail and power. I will also talk on and on about boats to anybody who will listen. Then there is boat maintenance. Is there anything else worthwhile doing?

My other passion is motorcyles. Recently my son and I took a 3 week trip around Washington, Idaho, Montana and Oregon where we discovered Hwy 12, an amazing road.This is my 1946 Indian Chief that I put lots of miles on every year.

Attachments

• IMG_0009_0129.jpg
    IMG_0009_0129.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Did a bit of camping up hwy 12 around Lolo pass in college. Amazing country.

Boating is a rare treat. Most of the time I'm working. . .

Working at my job. . .working overtime. . .working on my old Mustang. . .working on the boat. . .working on my dads boat. . .working on peoples houses because they can't. . .school work. . .yard work (not even my yards :facepalm: ). . .work, work, work. . .

And sometimes I manage to go fishing or sleep :rofl:

This is the video of the event of our Airstream purchase...

Bruce

Bruce,

That's a great video, and a cool little camper. I like the idea of something small and simple like that you can pull with a 1/2 ton. I see folks down here in STX pulling these massive fifth-wheel rigs with massive 1ton diesel trucks. It seems a bit much imo-- like they are trying to take everything with them. However, these people might live in these rigs full time.

You and your wife make some great videos!

Perhaps I like working too much, 69 now and still working. I can pull the trigger anytime and still collect a six figure salary for three years after I stop. this is before touching my pension. I just like what I do.[/QUOTE]

:thumb:

When I'm not cruising, I run my charter boat carrying scuba divers off Delmarva. Hard to call it work when your customers are this happy.

20150815_122952.jpg

Damn smart phone! :banghead:

Ted

When not boating I work on the boat, work on rent houses, work in the yard, work on the house.
I was all into surfing the last 10 years, but I lost my stoke and got tired of driving 4 hours looking for waves in Texas.

I recently started windsurfing again. Did that back in college and it's been fun getting back on the board. Easier than surfing.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1485870865.642612.jpg

I've never seen a crawfish that big! [emoji15]

Retirement in 24 days 6 hours and 28 minutes. When not on the boat I look forward to getting my home brewery back on line.

Attachments

• 20151227_123604.jpg
    20151227_123604.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 44
Congratulations on your new Bambi - and nice video.

When not boating I work on the boat, work on rent houses, work in the yard, work on the house.
I was all into surfing the last 10 years, but I lost my stoke and got tired of driving 4 hours looking for waves in Texas.

I recently started windsurfing again. Did that back in college and it's been fun getting back on the board. Easier than surfing.

View attachment 61152

Agree, windsurfing is fun, a pastime for me also when not boating or flying.

Attachments

• Outrunning.jpg
    Outrunning.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 40
Condolences for you loss.

Retirement in 24 days 6 hours and 28 minutes. When not on the boat I look forward to getting my home brewery back on line.

Good Lord! That's fancy-schmancy! Is that a RIMS system? I have a 58 litre converted sankey keg system myself. Been all-grain brewing since 1991 and have over 250 all-grain batches under my belt.

Jim

Jim

It is a Kal Clone I built from The Electric Brewery, a HERMS system. The Electric Brewery They are all 20 gal kettles. Regrettably since moving to North Carolina over a year ago I have not had a chance to brew. I work in Philadelphia and just haven't had the time to brew on the weekends I am home. All that will change shortly!

There are now 6 taps on the kegerator and I plan to have all running by the end of the year! I will need to build a smaller version for the boat.

Attachments

• Kegerator 2.jpg
    Kegerator 2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom