Old 09-23-2015, 09:40 PM   #61
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
No matter what I eat, it has too many calories, is too fattening and too greasy, raises my blood pressure, clogs up my arteries, gives me cancer, causes diabetes, clogs up the head, has too much gluten, etc etc etc.

Jeez, what can a 68 year old eat to enjoy life?

Honey, will you please make me another health food Margarita?

Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #62
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I retired. Lost the accumulated spare tire within the first year. Cycling and the never-ending Honey Do keep it off.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:48 PM   #63
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
I retired. Lost the accumulated spare tire within the first year. Cycling and the never-ending Honey Do keep it off.
Most jobs are rather sedimentary.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:55 PM   #64
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
What do you do to keep in shape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

As in working with rocks/sand?
cardude01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:09 PM   #65

City: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Best what i did to keep in shape was stop drinking alcohol 3 years ago. Lost about 70 lbs and remain since on a nice 154 lbs.

62 y/o now and a bloodpressure of a young boy again
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:16 PM   #66
Guru

Wifey B: There are three major vices often mentioned. Smoking, Drinking and Sex. Now, obviously I'm innocent and know not of such things.

But having done some research which even has involved trying two of the three I learned this. One of the three has many health benefits. I would suggest a trade off with less or none of the other two and more of the healthy one. Strictly for medical reasons of course.

Dr. Wifey B has spoken.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:42 PM   #67

City: CA
Boring

Maybe join a monestary, sounds more fun.

Do you turn your nose up when your marina friend offers you a glass of wine, a cocktail?

My 93 YO dad smoked 5 cigars per day for 40 years, drank a pot of coffee a day, had eggs and bacon for breakfast, still does. Has 2 Martinis a day, not one not three. He still drives himself to church everyday.

Remember Jim Fix the Marathon athlete? He dropped dead of a heart attack at an early age.

Maybe become less uptight and enjoy the finer things life has to offer?

I say anything in moderation is OK.

I am 60 and weigh less than I did when married 35 years ago. Why? Portion control.

Quote:
A thread was started talking about "when will you pack it in?" It made me think of what I'm doing, what we can do to delay our diminishing physical abilities as long as possible.

Like most things in my life I didn't start until meeting my wife. I was in good condition but more by accident than anything. Obviously what one can do changes with age. We are not workout fanatics however so it has to be things we enjoy.

1. Walk. To me there's not an easier or better exercise and it happens simply. We arrive somewhere and we walk to explore. Whether it's NYC or Chesapeake City. Also, it's a form of exercise we can do always. If we've been cruising all day, the first thing we do upon docking is go for a walk. Now, I do not jog. The pounding on hard pavement is something I don't think is good on one's joints. If I'm housebound and can't get out and walk, then I do walk on a treadmill.

2. Sing. I know that sounds odd. First it brings us pleasure which is always good. However, to sing properly requires good breathing techniques and we attribute being in excellent respiratory health to singing.

3. Tennis. It's our most frequent sport and we love it. While tennis elbow is a potential injury to be wary of, it's otherwise not tough on the body. By comparison, golf doesn't give the exercise plus is much tougher on your body, especially your back.

4. Basketball. This might be the questionable one but it's a good endurance sport and we take some precautions. We don't play outdoors on courts built to just trip one up. We also tape our ankles anytime we play.

5. Diet. Our diet is good and bad. We do eat red meats regularly. I'm sure we eat a lot of other things that are on the bad list. We aren't willing to cut out all the joy of food. However, we've made easy sacrifices. We don't eat many fried foods, really just fried chicken. We drink no coffee, tea or soda. All we drink on a daily basis is water. We don't smoke. We don't consume alcohol daily, perhaps once a month on average. We don't eat french fries. Just cut them out and don't miss them. A burger with no fries and no soft drink is a lot better than one with all that. We don't eat bread daily. We will eat cold cuts but no bread, hamburgers with no buns, hot dogs with no buns. Now, at a nice restaurant, we'll have some bread. What we haven't done is sacrifice chocolate and sweets and ice cream. But we minimize carbs in other ways and we way daily and if we see our weight changing we tighten down for a week or so.

6. Laugh a lot and play. Just enjoy. My wife just asked "what kind of play" and I'm just leaving it at play.

7. Sleep. Should probably be first on the list. We try to get 8 hours sleep nightly. Yes, I once got by with much less but that was due to a sleep disorder and while I was convinced for much of the time it wasn't impacting me, it was. I'm sure some of you will say you do fine on 5 hours per night. Let me take you to a lab and I can prove to you that while you do fine, you don't do as well as you would with more. The afternoon drop off in functioning is there.

8. Prevention and reaction. We get vaccines, we avoid contagious people. Then we've already made it a practice that if something is wrong or just seems wrong, we immediately get medical care. As you develop conditions over the years, avoiding acute exacerbations is often the key. The number of unnecessary pneumonia deaths each year is staggering. We wear masks and gloves in dusty or dirty environments. If there are any of you over 50 who haven't gotten a pneumonia vaccine, go get one. Get a flu shot. Listen to Terry Bradshaw and get a Shingles vaccine. Also if you're over 50, get a colonoscopy. Last, know your health. You're in charge of managing your health and medical care, not your doctors. Get copies of everything, ask questions. Know why you're taking every medication and the alternatives. Know the side effects. Learn to read and understand your lab results. Don't let the doctor just tell you the results of tests or labs, you get a copy and review the reports. We also don't try to do things we shouldn't. Don't lift more than we should or in ways we shouldn't. As you age, each injury such as hurting your back or twisting your knee, takes more out of you. One leads to others. For instance a back injury prevents one often from doing any kind of exercise so one quickly sees an overall decline.

We have some older friends who live on our property and are very close family to us. They say we're a pain in the a... We say we're selfish, and we want to keep them around us and healthy as long as possible. Now one may do everything perfect and still get a terminal illness or major injury. We just try to improve the odds.

There's not a thing we do for our health that makes us less happy or that we dislike doing. We're not going on the infomercial as the couple selling exercise equipment or some magic elixir. We don't go overboard on our health but we do try to take some steps.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:03 AM   #68
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Maybe join a monestary, sounds more fun.

Do you turn your nose up when your marina friend offers you a glass of wine, a cocktail?

My 93 YO dad smoked 5 cigars per day for 40 years, drank a pot of coffee a day, had eggs and bacon for breakfast, still does. Has 2 Martinis a day, not one not three. He still drives himself to church everyday.

Remember Jim Fix the Marathon athlete? He dropped dead of a heart attack at an early age.

Maybe become less uptight and enjoy the finer things life has to offer?

I say anything in moderation is OK.

I am 60 and weigh less than I did when married 35 years ago. Why? Portion control.
We're definitely not bored, just enjoy different things than you. We do drink occasionally, but yes, when offered a cocktail or wine at the marina, we very politely say "no thank you."

You may point out a person who broke every rule of good health and lived to 100 but the statistics prove certain things can shorten life and threaten health. At the same time marathon training and running has some serious health risks associated.

If people want to do high risk things, that's their choice as long as they don't put us at risk.

Now in this thread I wasn't looking for agreement, just to find out what others do. Seems to be a typical split between those who do nothing and those who do something, whatever that something is. That's all fine. It's interesting to hear and I have no plans to get into an argument regarding the science where opposing scientists and duel.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:06 AM   #69
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
As in working with rocks/sand?
I work extensively with rocks and sand. Not an effective means of staying in shape.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:49 AM   #70
Guru

Quote:
Oh my. Just saw that. Sedentary. I try to watch but sometimes a tablet or phone seems to have a mind of it's own as to what it thinks you mean. Well, guess we can discuss rocks. Or perhaps it's because many jobs seem like sediment.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:39 AM   #71
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Jeez Louise! Another single/twins/anchor/windows debate! Too confusing and contradictory for me. Analysis paralysis is setting in.

Until further notice I think I'll stick with the old school methods; eat & drink less, move more. Everything in moderation, especially moderation!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 04:45 PM   #72
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Mr Rt, who would have known that chips would be a health food when compared to Chettos. Less sodium by a bunch and 340mg of potassium which Chettos has none. Go spud chips plus no orange fingers!
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #73
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. HDH. Nope NOT Cheetos, Cheerios, the breakfast cereal. I saw what you did there and you're NOT getting off that easy...Nice try though.
Cheerios (serving size-28g) Sodium-186mg
Chips ( IF same size serving-28g) Sodium-149g
White bread (IF same size serving-28g) Sodium- 200mg
Part of the problem here is one may eat a single serving of Cheerios but will typically eat a whole bag of chips or numerous slices of bread. Hidden sodium (salt) and the same goes for sugars.
Read those nutrition labels.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:23 PM   #74
Guru

Yuke Cheerios, they may be good for you, but I'll side with good old Oatmeal for breakfast or 3 egg cheddar cheese omelet with rye toast.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:02 PM   #75
Guru

Much has been said about eating healthy and I'm a firm believer in a proper diet but there are what I would call dietary time bombs out there that are smoothly packaged to get you to purchase them. My all time winner in the sodium time bomb category is Hungrey Man 25 gr protein Salisbury steak frozen dinners, 1300 mg of sodium ! You could use this stuff on your driveway in the winter to melt the ice. With that much salt in it they don't even need to freeze it.